New to me car, but....

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS 350 cdi W218 Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi PD
Hi people. I have finally decided on my new to me second hand Merc. A lovely W213 E350d. It's an SE model, so basically poverty spec. I bought it from MB Bradford, and it has just 20,000 miles. I am very pleased with the car, it's lovely.
The one and only 'problem' I have with the car is the really rattly dash! It's driving me mad. For a nigh on 40k car new, I think it's poor show, and not something I'd associate with a Mercedes product.
As I bought it from a Merc dealer it has a years warranty. Do I take it to them and ask to have a look? Is it something they'd even entertain looking at? Or do I wind my neck in and stop crying about something trivial?
It's a 2017 MY car if that helps.
As ever thanks in advance for your ever helpful advice and tips.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
If your not happy take it back
You have just spent 40k it should be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If your not happy take it back
You have just spent 40k it should be perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I will probably phone and see what kind of response I get. :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum :) Go straight back to the dealer. One question, did it rattle on your demonstration drive ?

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum :) Go straight back to the dealer. One question, did it rattle on your demonstration drive ?
Lol, there was no demo drive. Basically I bought it over the phone, drove my trusty old CLS up to the dealership, and p'xed it. As it's such low mileage I just expected it to be great, and to be fair, it is. Just the rattles!

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi people. I have finally decided on my new to me second hand Merc. A lovely W213 E350d. It's an SE model, so basically poverty spec. I bought it from MB Bradford, and it has just 20,000 miles. I am very pleased with the car, it's lovely.
The one and only 'problem' I have with the car is the really rattly dash! It's driving me mad. For a nigh on 40k car new, I think it's poor show, and not something I'd associate with a Mercedes product.
As I bought it from a Merc dealer it has a years warranty. Do I take it to them and ask to have a look? Is it something they'd even entertain looking at? Or do I wind my neck in and stop crying about something trivial?
It's a 2017 MY car if that helps.
As ever thanks in advance for your ever helpful advice and tips.
I also meant to ask if anyone else out there with a W213 has had similar problems with theirs?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Hello and Welcome. Quietness was one of the main design aims in the development of the w212 and onwards. So no, dash noises / rattles etc, shoul not be there. Just in case you have not allready done so, check the glove compartment, ditto centre console for anything that might be making any noise? If only to avoid the garage making some sarcastic comment like " Perhaps Madam might consider keeping her keys / coins in her purse, rather than have them rattling around in the dash making noise" comments. See if you can pin point exactly where in the dash the noise is comimg from? Left or right side? Centre? A previous owner of my w212 broke the hinge on the door flap on the sunvisor of mine, and it annoyed the hell out of me until I located and fixed it. But the bottom line is the garage who sold it to you are responsible to fix it..or anything else you find amiss with it...get it sorted now while the deal is still fresh. Good look with it, and let us know how you get om, OK?

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and Welcome. Quietness was one of the main design aims in the development of the w212 and onwards. So no, dash noises / rattles etc, shoul not be there. Just in case you have not allready done so, check the glove compartment, ditto centre console for anything that might be making any noise? If only to avoid the garage making some sarcastic comment like " Perhaps Madam might consider keeping her keys / coins in her purse, rather than have them rattling around in the dash making noise" comments. See if you can pin point exactly where in the dash the noise is comimg from? Left or right side? Centre? A previous owner of my w212 broke the hinge on the door flap on the sunvisor of mine, and it annoyed the hell out of me until I located and fixed it. But the bottom line is the garage who sold it to you are responsible to fix it..or anything else you find amiss with it...get it sorted now while the deal is still fresh. Good look with it, and let us know how you get om, OK?
Cheers. There is a definite noise coming from the passenger door, and there was a particularly bad noise coming from the centre console where the cup holders are. No loose keys or coins or anything, just a constant ticking/buzzing today.
I will be calling my local dealership.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Typical rattles on this model are the lights under center mirror, subwoofer plastic cover on top of dash and doors. There is a thread on google with all the service bulletins for 213 and it covers most rattles you explain.

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Typical rattles on this model are the lights under center mirror, subwoofer plastic cover on top of dash and doors. There is a thread on google with all the service bulletins for 213 and it covers most rattles you explain.
Thanks for that. I'll be checking that out.

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Hell's Flames! This is almost on the same scale as Julian Assange did to the US Gov't, I can see MB taking out a contract on Koenigstiger and his accomplices for this little lot! :D

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all. Thanks for the info. In recent trips out in the car it's been as quiet as a church in it. It's one of those things that a garage would be chasing and chasing. I think for the minute, I will live with it.
Apart from that, a lovely car, that despite being poverty spec, has everything I could possibly want.
One question though. Is it leather upholstery, or pleather?....

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hell's Flames! This is almost on the same scale as Julian Assange did to the US Gov't, I can see MB taking out a contract on Koenigstiger and his accomplices for this little lot! :D
Haha. They’re on that forum for every model. Has helped my local MB dealer find problems immediately otherwise it would’ve been a needle in the haystack. All these are MB official docs.

When I first referenced them, the service staff had no idea and got all defensive. Mentioned it to the service manager and he knew exactly what it was.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Haha. They’re on that forum for every model. Has helped my local MB dealer find problems immediately otherwise it would’ve been a needle in the haystack. All these are MB official docs.

When I first referenced them, the service staff had no idea and got all defensive. Mentioned it to the service manager and he knew exactly what it was.
Well I doubt the forum would make a sticky of the reference source but it's most definitely worth a bookmark for future reference! Well done that man! :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi all. Thanks for the info. In recent trips out in the car it's been as quiet as a church in it. It's one of those things that a garage would be chasing and chasing. I think for the minute, I will live with it.
Apart from that, a lovely car, that despite being poverty spec, has everything I could possibly want.
One question though. Is it leather upholstery, or pleather?....
If it’s SE spec it’s leather, if its AMG Line then Artico (pleather)

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
My 219 CLS was silent on a run (even at 7yrs & 60k miles), so I'd gently/politely mention that a fair'y new E-Class should be comparable, along with a suggestion that the bulletins Janchee has highlighted perhaps haven't been done?

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all, and thank you for all your invaluable info, hints and thoughts.
I thought I'd give a little update. Nice car the W213, but I've gone back to a cls. The difference in interior quality is quite obvious. The cls feels like a real solid quality item, and the E class less so. That's just my opinion. I am totally smitten, and will keep it until the government take it off me and make me drive a milk float.
Cheers.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom