New W203 Owner

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Hello all.
I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Tanzanite blue C200 Kompressor. I have had it for 6 months and both my wife and I love it. It is our first Merc. We never thought we would get one, but when our last car was coming to the end of the road we gave ourselves a year to try and find a decent affordable one and we found this the same day.
It was absolutely mint inside and out, done 45000 miles and had a full MB service history up to the last one, which was done by the dealer prior to delivery. It is like new and drives like a dream.
I noticed that it had not had a gearbox service, and I had it done straight away. Normally I do all my servicing myself, but as a treat and because I Know how important it is to get this right I got it done at MB Plymouth. Although it wasn't cheap they also gave it a thorough check over. Which was good for my piece of mind, even though I was already very happy with it.
As it had not had many oil changes over the years, even though it had enough according to its mileage I am going to give her a good flush out this week.
I'll use Wynnes engine flush, change the oil & filter (using a cheap oil), do about 100 miles and then change the oil and filter again (using good oil).
This might be overkill, but I got a good price on filters from Eurocar.

I have read hundreds of posts, as I like to find out what owners think as well as getting a handle on common faults.
I am concerned about the M271 engine. There are lots of negatives on here, but surely there must be loads of happy owners out there.
If you are there I'd appreciate a nod.
I will of course keep an eye out for symptoms

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, just be aware that some timing chain issues might come up, the trick is to get a new one before any damage takes place.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, as Malcolm says the timing chain is the biggest issue - keep an eye on that and be proactive in changing and you won't go far wrong.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
welcome. other than the timing chain and the possibility of rust around the wheelarches (although theyre SUPPOSED to be sorted at the age yours is) the 203 is generally a pretty well sorted car, in my experience

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I would say springs and bushes - mine is fairly low mileage (80K) for its age (late 2004) and is mainly used for long motorway runs but the front camber bushes have recently been changed for the second time. They changed the whole arms this time as the ball-joints were iffy.

When the spring (one of the fronts) broke I had absolutely no idea it had gone.

The latest thing to be picked up is the rear brakes lines corroding - if you service it yourself worth keeping them clean and greased or waxed.

OP
D

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
thanks

thanks for the welcome.
I will keep an ear on the timing chain and change it if I hear any changes. Depending on my mileage I'll probably change it in a couple of years anyway.
She has obviously been well looked after and kept clean and garaged, as there is no sign of any rust. I intend to waxoyl/hb her in the summer and then do it regularly. I have already read lots of advice on this here, and will probably seek more before I get stuck in.

Top Bottom