NEWBE NEEDING HELP

VITOBLUES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 2.3 Petrol auto 1998
Hi there. First time one here and what a great site full of knowledge and interest. In which case I hope someone can help.

Bought a 1998 Vito 2.3 petrol auto about 2 months ago which I love to bits, with all leather and 6 seats etc. However over the last three weeks Ive been having intermitent problems starting. Sometimes I would just turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. If I turned the ignition off after travelling whilst the car was in drive then the car would not start when put in park. However if I put the car in park turn the ignition off then on again, it would start. The problem now is that it wont start at all. Car in Park, put the key in turn and nothing. My battery is good to go and is strong. Sometime too when it does kick in and starts the warning light is on and Im just stuck in drive and the car will not change gear. Its getting to the point know where I might have to sell unless its an easy fix. Please help as car is now on stop and desperately need it on the road. THANKS IN ADVANCE

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This looks to be the ignition switch possibly, I would have a word with Mark on here who fixes these things

OP
V

VITOBLUES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VITO 2.3 Petrol auto 1998
Thanks for the tip. How can I get hold of Mark??? Whats his user name so that I can PM him. Also I take it itll be just the switch located at the end of the barrell with the few wires and a square plug comming out of it which may if replace resolve the problem??

Also on another issue/observation I have only one key which has a green button on it to flip the key blade out but no other buttons for the central locking or alarm??? Is this key a spare or maybe one part of two which the secont part (another fob) is missing. Its got a compartment in it for batteries with a small clear led on it which does not light up. Could the key be responsible for the car not been able to start even though Ive not had problems in the past with this key other than not been able to open the car remotely ro activate the alart from it remoteley??????

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom