Newbe Question on Start Button

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Hi,
I should be the proud owner of a C class S205 AMG line premium (not the Premium plus...)

Its a 2016 model- has a good bit of kit in it, very well spec'ed out. However when I was in it it does not have a push button start.
I know that if you remove the button you can insert the key to start it - but the dealer said it didn't come with a button start (not sure if he is fully familiar with the spec level...) Id does seem to have some kind of Key-less entry or key-less entry??
Does anyone know i the s205 (2016) should have had a button insert? if it is just missing - if one was fitted will it work? Were cars supplied without a button insert - but would work with one if it was inserted?

I don't have a VIN number - if i did would it tell me if it can be operate with a button start (key in your pocket...)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't fine any real info on the internet. I did find a site that has old MB product brochures - but they appear to be US versions and not UK ones. (Any resource on line for 2016 c class brochures???)

Thanks in advance

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
With Vin number you can get the data card which will show the full build

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Nope - they removed the plates and put on dealer advertising plates and don't have the VIN - never thought to take a picture of it when I was last in the show room. I didn't realise there were sources available on line to decode the VIN :-( I do now...

The Sales add says it has the "keyless Go" package? but no button inthe key start slot

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There's a phone app called NB VIN Decoder. Easy to use and free

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Nope - they removed the plates and put on dealer advertising plates and don't have the VIN - never thought to take a picture of it when I was last in the show room. I didn't realise there were sources available on line to decode the VIN :-( I do now...

Is it on autotrader or the dealers website still (link please) as sometimes the reg can be gleaned from there..

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
No, Its a UK car, but its in Ireland now. Next time I'm there I'll try to take a sneaky pic of the vin.

As I said above it is advertised as having "Keyless Go" in the car. (

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I recently bought an E63 that has the keyless go package. When it came to test drive the car, the dealer put the key in the ignition to start the car. I then asked, where is the keyless start button?
Dealer knew nothing about it but rang Mercedes with the Vin# where they confirmed it should have the button. They cost £30 from the dealer and are basically an aluminium button with a generic key on back.
This is inserted in the ignition switch and left there. The keyless fob is what is starting the car when you press the button.

If you have keyless and there is no button, ask for one as its part of the package. The previous owner either lost it or sold it.

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
I'm think this is a possibility.
I imagine that it was taken out to use in another car - or was just never installed in the first place (maybe it comes in a pack that the dealer is supposed to open and use in a pre delivery check - and the mechanic lost it? Or simply they needed one for another one in a show room and swiped it...

I see they are even on Ebay for about £15-00 ....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not much to them, surprised the dealer doesn’t just own up and get you one! It should be there for sure

OP
dc99

dc99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205
Well I'm gonna ask the dealer first :)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Too right. As I said, its part of the Keyless package.
Don't be persuaded otherwise, even though the button is cheap.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Whatever it costs you is profit for dealer. Make sure they attend to your needs before you part with a cent!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom