Newbie wants to buy E class

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If the OP does a serach on this forum on the 320CDi he will be aware of potential problems. The facelift 211 does appear to be the best package but the OP needs to be aware of the financial liabilities he might face. It's soon apparent from member feedback that the 220CDi is less problematic.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Yes you have a right to your view , but it is only democratic if everyone agrees with it , but keep posting and don't take it personally, I actually agree with you, and id love to buy a 211 as I love the look of them..but gremlins scare me .. am considering a 221 .but again.. I really dont know..

John Martin

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehillfoot.com
Your Mercedes
MB Trac 900Turbo, Shogun, Transit, Mercedes 1995 E300D Converted to manual
A democratic Society is one that allows freedom of speech without fear of insult or harm.
Therefore I state My experience of newer Mercedes is suspect compared to a few years ago If the buyer wants one go and buy one, he will, I can only repeat after wanting a Mercedes for many years, but because of their cost bought new Granada's,,, When I did buy a Mercedes a totally genuine car, was so disapointed with the reliability and repair costs,cannot complain about the drive, it was nice car in that respect..
Would I buy a newer one? NO Would I buy a new one NO
So who cares Guess Mercedes do, by the mail I get from them,( saying) once bitten twice shy.

OP
D

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
Sound like polarisation in viewpoints. I don't think I have yet bought a car on totally logical informed opinion, I've pretty well always ended up in saying, "But I want this one because of its------ some unimportant point , ".
Thanks for the posts they have helped. One final point, where do I find the BEHR label, I know nowt about Merc internals and position of components?

Dave

John Martin

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehillfoot.com
Your Mercedes
You are correct Dave, I bought granada's because the were hatchbacks really handy,Bought the mercedes on a because I always wanted the three pointed star and a status symbol,and German engineering, but in truth no better than most Japanese cars or dare I say Ford..
Having a W124 E300D I often get old men like myself,standing looking at the car on the side of the street,now, how many take a second glance at a new Mercedes today?not many simply because they all look the same..
However, Yes if you fancy the Eclass buy it,and with good luck you will have a car that you want, and regardless of my negative opinions wish you well in your purchase and prove me wrong, I do not mind being corrected even at my age.
John

OP
D

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
Last last question. My son, an avid Merc enthusiast says miles don't matter, service history does. I have been looking at 55 plates less than 80000 miles. I probably can get a 2007 for the same price past the magic 100k. Advise please. What to do.

Dave

John Martin

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehillfoot.com
Your Mercedes
Hi Dave,
A car with 100k be it mercedes or whatever has done 100k you can expect to have some repairs like wheel bearings,steering joints,alternator problems, water pump ,and so on, History is helpful, but what is history! if the car had been driven hard between services there we have a problem.You do not always get good service from a Merc dealer,a stamp is a stamp,,thats your history on a car,,,Mmm????? some just want your money!just like all dealers.
Am sure there are good cars out there, some are bad, some very bad.
Not helpful again I am afraid, stay with a local dealer who will look after you through thick and thin to keep your car on the road. and good luck
John

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Sorry but I find posts like this very frustrating. As is well documented, mb went down the pan between 1998 and didn't fully get their act back together until 2005. So, you (and I ) bought a 2000 e class and got trouble. In my case I bought mine a year old so most issues were done under warranty inc the rust. That said it was reliable enough but as they get older I can accept they become trouble.
However, this guy is looking for a 2005 w211. So as different to a 2000 210 as that is from your 124. Hence to warn him off on the basis of your experience is unhelpful.

My 2005 E class has hardly been a pillar of excellence and durability. Its off getting rust repaired. Galvanised body, rust. What is it galvanised with? Water and air???

Wheel bearings, manifolds, snapped springs, flaring shifts, swirl flap motors, peeling paint have all been faults I have experienced in a 2005 E class.

I had another 2005 E class, which was fine, but plenty of bad cars to show Mercedes are not what they are cracked up to be from a reliability prespective IMHO.

Shame, as they perform brilliantly.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
A well maintained one with everything attended to will be an excellent buy over 100k. A neglected one will be a pain whilst you sort the niggles.
Mine is at 134,000 and so far has needed nothing doing. Even the battery is original. Its a paragon of reliability .But others have not been so lucky so get whatever you buy well inspected to avoid any surprises.

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
A well maintained one with everything attended to will be an excellent buy over 100k. A neglected one will be a pain whilst you sort the niggles.
Mine is at 134,000 and so far has needed nothing doing. Even the battery is original. Its a paragon of reliability .But others have not been so lucky so get whatever you buy well inspected to avoid any surprises.

valid point, when i put up the details about the car i was looking at, most said leave alone, but my gut feeling said otherwise.
I bought a 2004 car with 92k on the clock, so far apart from very silly things, i have had no expense other than brake pads and a tyre.
Yes there are things tha can go wrong, probably will, as do with any car. I know someone who bought a new Toyota Landcruiser, 5th one he had.......and the last! There is always going to be the lemon out there, all you can do is safeguard yourself by getting it checked over and a warranty. The rest is down to luck i suppose.

Top Bottom