Newish c220 owner. With starting issue

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
Newbie. First Post. Hello all.

I've a 2011 c220 w204 facelift. I'm new to the car and merc scene in general. I've had it 4weeks. Hardly drove it at all.

I put the key in i can hear the zip of the what im assuming is the steering lockI Put the key in turn it the both positions wait until the coil light goes then turn key again and nothing.

This has been an intermittent fault since I've had it. (Private sale can't do nowt then)

I replaced the eis module and thought that would solve it but to no avail.

I've also had it put on star diagnostic at MB. They can't find a fault with the starting issue.

I noticed though that the car does not go into lock position/steering lock.

It's as if the motor is making a noise but maybe not actually
engaging/disengaging.

If this is faulty or if its been bypassed. Would that be an issue at all ??

If the esl has failed in the open position would I still be able to intermittently start it. Would it still make a noise when putting the key in?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

I’ve moved your post to the technical area for you.

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
Who dignosed with STAR
MB. No faults found I had a guy fit a eis module(thinking that was the fault as my and his thinking things were leading to it being at fault) it seemed to have been ok for a couple of starts soo to speak.

But then i went to start again and then nothing. I drove it yesterday ok for not that long a distance. Came out to the car abit after then again nothing. The car was left for hours after and again nothing. It seems as If the steering lock is left in the unlock position. But I can hear a noise when I put the key in. I was assuming the lock was still working. Although I never had the steering locked I just always took the key out and the steering wheel was left dead straight everytime.

Its doing My head in to say the least. I have no confidence in the car and can't get go enjoy It for the 5 weeks I've had it

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I would have thought the first thing fo do was make sure the battery is properly charged and holding that charge. Mercedes do all sorts of funny things if voltage is low and, as you say, the car has hardly been driven recently and was probably standing for a while when it was for sale.

Just my thoughts for what they’re worth!

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
I would have thought the first thing fo do was make sure the battery is properly charged and holding that charge. Mercedes do all sorts of funny things if voltage is low and, as you say, the car has hardly been driven recently and was probably standing for a while when it was for sale.

Just my thoughts for what they’re worth!
The battery is like a year old. But I'm not sure how much it had been driven after that from the previous owner. And I've not had most of an opportunity to drive it. Im scared to lol. I used a little battery test gadget and it was saying full charged. But that was just a little cheapy. I know you always start with the simple things. But when I had a guy look at it. I'd of assumed he'd checked the battery.

I'm not long back from my partners house. It was left there over night. Got in and it cranked first time. All the lights on dash works everything works as it should. The only other light that comes on the dash intermittently too is the esp light & tyre pressure monitor inoperative. Im maybe thinking speed sensor or brake switch ???

But that wouldn't be linked to intermittent starting I can't really take it many places to get looked at. I'm afraid of even taking it to get the battery tested incase I'm stuck somewhere

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
only a volt meter will give an indication. Test when parked after a drive (to see voltage), test with engine running (ensure alty kicking out V) then retest after a night sitting (see if its holding charge)

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
It's just a head scratcher. My thinking is. If the battery was on way out would you be able to start it. Drive it and cause intermittent starting issues. Surely it wouldn't let up operate the locking unlocking and all the lights on dash and start and drive

I know people will say get it tested plugged in etc etc. But I've had it on star at MB and no real faults show up.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I would suggest battery fault as a first. Steve (above) mentioned this. A 'full' battery is not necessarily a good battery. The C220 has one battery. Why not put the headlamps on and leave them on - see how long before they go real dim (as long as you've got a battery charger). The EIS uses battery power to operate.
Many on here use a C-tek charger/conditioner, and in these days when mileage is low and intermittent, it is almost a necessity.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Why don't you do as Miobia and uncle mentioned above ? Some simple checks with a voltmeter are easy to do, and will cost you nothing. Take the guesswork out of the situation. A car is an inanimate object, and can be fixed.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Yes, a low voltage battery can start the car but upset some of the electronic systems. It seems to be Mercedes thing.

The brake switch could be an issue. Assuming you have an automatic, the engine won’t start unless you have your foot on the brake. If the switch is intermittent faulty then it might stop the car starting sometimes? I’m guessing but perhaps others can confirm.

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
Why don't you do as Miobia and uncle mentioned above ? Some simple checks with a voltmeter are easy to do, and will cost you nothing. Take the guesswork out of the situation. A car is an inanimate object, and can be fixed.
Relax. I'm asking questions. Does it bother you.

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
Yes, a low voltage battery can start the car but upset some of the electronic systems. It seems to be Mercedes thing.

The brake switch could be an issue. Assuming you have an automatic, the engine won’t start unless you have your foot on the brake. If the switch is intermittent faulty then it might stop the car starting sometimes? I’m guessing but perhaps others can confirm.
Yes it's an auto. Alot of guess work. And people may say do this do that take it to here take it to there. But as I'm a newbie I just like to try and figure a few things out get an idea or rule some stuff out with a few questions on here. Can anyone link me the brake switch please. Is it easy to fit. If so I'd do it myself.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yes it's an auto. Alot of guess work. And people may say do this do that take it to here take it to there. But as I'm a newbie I just like to try and figure a few things out get an idea or rule some stuff out with a few questions on here. Can anyone link me the brake switch please. Is it easy to fit. If so I'd do it myself.
Top of brake pedal and yes easy to fit.
Multimeter is your cheapest diagnostic start rather than throwing parts and £££ at it. Your car though

OP
M

Martinj08

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 w204 facelift
I'm a total novice and New to mercs. I don't have really any mechanical no real gizmos or gadgets. I can however work methodically and can understand YouTube vids and pics realitivily easily. I just thought I'd ask some questions and if get a sort of feel for people's past problems/similar issues.

If a brake light switch was an ok price and realitivily easy to do then I would rather try that myself and see before having this person or that person look at it again.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I'm a total novice and New to mercs. I don't have really any mechanical no real gizmos or gadgets. I can however work methodically and can understand YouTube vids and pics realitivily easily. I just thought I'd ask some questions and if get a sort of feel for people's past problems/similar issues.

If a brake light switch was an ok price and realitivily easy to do then I would rather try that myself and see before having this person or that person look at it again.
Is this any help?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
MB should have seen if brake switch is a culprit, nad also that gear selctor give right signals. Also they should have seen that authorization is going through. So I assume they are right. If only they spent enough time to get fault on...

Sometimes starter motor can fail, it can go out of blue, or then begin by intermittent no goes. You might try give a slight knock on starter when situation is no start.

Top Bottom