NICE CAR - PROBABLY A SCAM

dewimerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 - 2013
Lovely R107 advertised on Facebook Marketplace for £9,680!
Does anyone recognise the car?

IMG_0538.jpg

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Why is it a scam ? Mileage could be genuine. Depends if car checks out in person. According to the MOT history it has only covered 2,000 miles since 2006. Are there any more photos ? You can usually assess mileage on interior condition.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Why is it a scam ? Mileage could be genuine. Depends if car checks out in person. According to the MOT history it has only covered 2,000 miles since 2006. Are there any more photos ? You can usually assess mileage on interior condition.
Probably £10-12k below current market prices....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

OP
D

dewimerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 - 2013
Probably worth £35k with that sort of mileage!

Payment to be made to an escrow company…..

The seller may offer to refer the sale to an independent 'middleman' (this is known as escrow) company that will only pass on your money to the seller when you are 100% happy with the car. The catch here is that the independent escrow company doesn't exist and you are left out of pocket without ever seeing the car.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Probably worth £35k with that sort of mileage!

Payment to be made to an escrow company…..

The seller may offer to refer the sale to an independent 'middleman' (this is known as escrow) company that will only pass on your money to the seller when you are 100% happy with the car. The catch here is that the independent escrow company doesn't exist and you are left out of pocket without ever seeing the car.
Why on earth would someone fall for that nonsense, see the car pay by cash or direct transfer once you have keys and log book in your possession. The only escrow I would entertain would be a verifiable solicitor in the case of a probate sale.

I have bought many private cars in excess of £30k over the years, not been scammed once!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

FlorinM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C250 CDI Amg Sport Edition (Premium Plus)
The seller posted the same car all over the UK, this is certainly a scam. Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 17.30.23.png

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
it really saddens me the levels some people can go to with the aim of screwing people over - sad reflection of society.

As a side I was in Lidl yesterday waiting in the car park. 4 little lads running in out wearing balaclavas. The security bloke told them to leave. Which they did, then pushing over all the stock outside before running away - to think this is the future generation...

Scams are easy to uncover - ask the seller you are coming to view the car, you want to see paperwork, etc, they will say aahhhh its in a lockup and they are not in the country etc. etc.

OP
D

dewimerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 - 2013
See below for latest correspondence from the scammer -

Thank you for your interest. My SL Class is currently with Quick Logistics in Bath. I signed a contract with them and they will handle everything regarding this sale (payment, shipping and paper exchange). By dealing through them we are both 100% safe and covered.

Quick Logistics will hold the funds throughout the transaction and you will get to inspect the car for 7 days and decide if you want to keep it or not. The Mercedes will be delivered with temporary insurance and all the documents, so you can test drive it and inspect everything before I receive any money. If by any reason you decide not to keep the car at the end of the 7-day money back guarantee period, Quick Logistics will refund you in full within 24 hours and I will be responsible for the shipping back.

If you want to purchase my car, you can move forward by starting a new escrow on the company's website: https://quicklogisticslimited.com

Best regards,

Olivia Hanninen

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I saw a car advertised at a very good price, I told my friend who contacted the owner (supposedly) to arrange to come and collect immediately. He was told by the seller, no, 'you pay full price first, then come to collect' That is the extent of ammature scammers........:rolleyes:
Professional scammers get on TV crime shows after it all goes wrong for them. They have already scammed hundreds of thousands off people :shock:

Reactions: DSK

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
So you presumably pay in full up front to the scammers website, giving away your bank and personal details in the process., and then never hear back about a car or anything else.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Thank you for your interest. My SL Class is currently with Quick Logistics in Bath. I signed a contract with them and they will handle everything regarding this sale (payment, shipping and paper exchange). By dealing through them we are both 100% safe and covered.

Quick Logistics will hold the funds throughout the transaction and you will get to inspect the car for 7 days and decide if you want to keep it or not. The Mercedes will be delivered with temporary insurance and all the documents, so you can test drive it and inspect everything before I receive any money. If by any reason you decide not to keep the car at the end of the 7-day money back guarantee period, Quick Logistics will refund you in full within 24 hours and I will be responsible for the shipping back.

If you want to purchase my car, you can move forward by starting a new escrow on the company's website: https://quicklogisticslimited.com

Best regards,

Olivia Hanninen
Oh dear the old Logistics scam. Been going on for many years. Perhaps it's just as well that scammers can't come up with anything remotely innovative.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems that the scammers have gone 1 step further in creating a "Scam Detector" site which confirms Quick Logistics to be 100% Safe and Secure. So everything's ok then:D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Same story as above it’s a scam.

If any seller refuses to let you visit and see the item in person and tries to pressure you down the route of a payment of any type and then delivery of goods, it’s a scam.

I had the same about 10yrs ago, a limited edition 2003 black and gold gsxr1000 on sale for an honest price in Scotland. I answered the advert and offered to drive/fly up to view. The seller insisted that it’s impossible to view for reason after reason. When I said fine no probs I’ll look elsewhere and twigged it was a scam and refused to deal with this seller, he (or whoever it was on email) pestered me for 2 weeks trying to convince me to pay, it would go to a holding place until I received the bike and was happy with it. They didn’t seem to grasp that I refuse to buy without viewing in person! After ignoring them for 2 weeks they gave up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same story as above it’s a scam.

If any seller refuses to let you visit and see the item in person and tries to pressure you down the route of a payment of any type and then delivery of goods, it’s a scam.

I had the same about 10yrs ago, a limited edition 2003 black and gold gsxr1000 on sale for an honest price in Scotland. I answered the advert and offered to drive/fly up to view. The seller insisted that it’s impossible to view for reason after reason. When I said fine no probs I’ll look elsewhere and twigged it was a scam and refused to deal with this seller, he (or whoever it was on email) pestered me for 2 weeks trying to convince me to pay, it would go to a holding place until I received the bike and was happy with it. They didn’t seem to grasp that I refuse to buy without viewing in person! After ignoring them for 2 weeks they gave up.

So obvious, but no doubt some will fall for it. No doubt the scammer will have other cars or assets advertised - watches seem a favourite currently. These characters will go to any lengths. On the other MB forum a very similar scam was called out. The scammer then set up a clone of the forum with fake reviews. It may happen here too.

MB_Dom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E63 Estate (previously GLC AMG 43)
We should all contact them to say we are interested

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So obvious, but no doubt some will fall for it. No doubt the scammer will have other cars or assets advertised - watches seem a favourite currently. These characters will go to any lengths. On the other MB forum a very similar scam was called out. The scammer then set up a clone of the forum with fake reviews. It may happen here too.
I doubt it…;)

Although members do need to be careful of newbies joining and advertising items for sale straight away.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I doubt it…;)

Although members do need to be careful of newbies joining and advertising items for sale straight away.
On AN Other forum I'm on, you have to make so many posts before you're allowed to offer anything for sale ... scammers don't usually want to hang around chatting.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It seems the world is full of scammers.

EmilysMum put a dog cage & a child's Cosy Coupe on Facebook Market place a couple of weeks ago. Within a few mins a bloke messaged to say he wanted the cage .... so she arranged a time etc for him to call. A short time later he messaged to say his son would be calling instead so he'd pay by PayPal. EmilysMums said she wanted cash as she doesn't have a PP acc ..... it's easy he said, just down load the app. EmilysMum said that she knew how easy it was because I had it ... cash please. He then wanted my email address to pay me via PP. He stopped messaging when we ignored him. Would you really expect to pay by PP for a £30 item?

Later in the evening, a message from a woman to say that she'd have the child's car. She'd arrange for Chronopost to collect the car & the courier would pay her. Her immediate reply was that she wanted cash & actually replied that she considered them to be a scammer ..... surprisingly there were no further messages. It seems that we were right https://www.pcnetsolutions.co.uk/latest-news/fake-chronopost-scam-targets-facebook-users/

Last edited:

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Lol I had that with a used vacuum cleaner I put in faceache market place ….. as you say easiest thing is just ignore the scammers

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

Best regards,

Olivia Hanninen
Ha Ha

You can indulge yourself by now taking the P and asking the scammer some questions about the car, telling them you are near this company and are going to see the car because you are in live with it etc etc.

Top Bottom