No news is good news? - Mercedes 450 SL problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

S A Smith

Reaction score
Please can someone help me?

I know this may be a usual query but after viewing almost every entry in your extensive forum I still have some questions regarding the purchase of a 450 SL.

I have seen a metallic green 450 SL in a classic car dealership and I have fallen in love with it.  Upon inspection it appears to be in pristine condition.  All I can tell from reading the messages posted here the is that corrosion in one or two areas is the biggest problem.

Does the lack of info about other problems mean that there is rarely anything else that goes wrong with them?
What else should a look/listen for?

I have rebuilt engines on more basic classics such as MGs and Triumphs but don't know how confident I would be about doing major work on a V8 monster.  I therefore need to make sure it will be fairly reliable and not be in the dealerships for mechanical work every couple of months.

Thanks,

Steve

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
No news is good news?

The point is that MBs are made to last, and the W107s are no different. The 450 V8 is a pretty reliable lump and understressed in the relatively (!) light SL. Even if the engine is duff, there are plenty of used ones about from saloons, and the lighter 500 V8 will fit without too much hassle.

Rust is the big potential problem with these cars coupled with lack of use. All parts are available, but not always cheap.

I ran a 380SL as an everyday car for 3 years and sold it due to the emergence of rust. I should have kept it, and solved the rust problem but was seduced by a BMW. Needless to say, I drive a Merc again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom