No push start button ?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
There is a big difference between keyless go and keyless entry. The ones that can be stolen easily have keyless entry. The signal is picked up remotely using a computer and then the car is unlocked. It can also be driven away as the laptop forms the key so the car thinks the key is present. If you only have keyless go however, it is much harder to gain access to the car as you can't simply touch the handle to unlock it as will keyless entry.
My previous car had Keyless-Go.
It allowed you to unlock the car by pulling the door handle and start it by pressing a button on the gear selector knob to start (or stop) the car or you could use the key as standard in an ignition slot to the right of the steering wheel..
From what you describe Keyless-Go has changed for the newer cars.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Yes. The key will always work.
When I bought my E63, it was advertised as having keyless go/entry.
I was surprised to see the key in the ignition instead of the start button and asked the dealer to get one. Very often people take the start button out for security and use the key, making the option useless.
All they need to do to disable the keyless operation for security is to double click the lock button on the fob. Next time keyless entry wont work by touching the door handle and you need to use the fob to open the car. Doing this ensures the key is not sending and receiving signals and makes intercepting the signal impossible for would be thieves.
Keyless gets a lot of bad press, but if used properly and the key placed in a faraday pouch at night, key cloning is impossible. The latest models are even more clever and the key goes to "sleep" after a certain period so again no signals to intercept.
Indeed, my W213 keyfob goes to sleep after a set time of no movement. Quite reassuring really!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I remember when we just had an ignition barrel and a metal key. Anybody else remember those days ?
Fondly. Easy simple. No electronics, no worry about leave key near front door. Life was simpler.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Key? My Cortina could be opened & started with a lolly stick .... ;)
Yet somehow we survived anyway. One did not have to think on 1200 quid f headlights, and I never will tho 2 days, ago I cracked my f nu plate sleep-in at wheel, just tapped transit rear in traffic, completely down to me, needed new UK nu plate anyway. But was crappiing myself thinking on shite plastic bumper cost, luckily ok had great day out in old NG today. Everything is fixable for f all really by todays stds . I just need another classic run about. On cards in 18 months when I hope most of hauling about on new house is dun. Whatever if I vertical doin all myself..

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Not if you have a car fitted standard with keyless start. Probably could with a modded one like you were talking about.
This was the source of my earlier confusion with this thread, because I have only ever owned cars built as standard with keyless systems and knew that using a key wasn't an option.

Top Bottom