1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise Cameras

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Frontstep, Jun 8, 2019.

1. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto
    just obstructing the traffic, a good number.

2. JohnArnoldBrown

JohnArnoldBrown Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI Estate 2003
    How about car owners who also own cycles? Would they be exempt? That's over 80% of them remember... and while they're on bikes, they're not damaging the road as much as you...

Anyhow, as an OAP and a car owner, I guess I'd be double-exempt under your scheme. Which, incidentally, is extremely unlikely to be implemented.

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    If you give me figures I can make them show any result you'd like :rolleyes: - "Statistically 9 out 10 people enjoy gang rape" - doesn't make it right though:(... Can't say I'm aware of massive media coverage as I don't subscribe to news media - they're only in it to make money not to inform.

You can't make a child with a broken arm better by telling them they're really unlucky to have been ridden over...

As I've said above I've no issue with the cyclists following the highway code

If you ever venture to South West Scotchland you'll find the opposite cyclists are such a burden on the NHS that the Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary has to have more staff in on a weekend because of Ae Forest (well not because of the forest but because of all the cyclists injuring themselves there)

Dean Fletcher and sl500amgsport like this.
  4. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    half price for car owners !!! give the conservatives a chance !!!

5. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Motorway Queen; W251 R320L Familybenz, S211 E320 Avg Designo Edition now sadly missed.
    The 80% with cars pay for their cars.

I have two cars. I pay for two cars.

If a cyclist has a car and s bicycle, let him pay for the bicycle TOO.

sl500amgsport and Blobcat like this.
  6. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I had 5 cars and 3 motorbikes - could only use one at a time but all had VED (Road Tax of old...) :rolleyes:

7. JohnArnoldBrown

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI Estate 2003
    You pay tax on two cars. But as you well know, it has nothing to do with road expenditure.

Personally, I've always thought VED should be scrapped, and the revenue raised from higher fuel tax instead. Seems a much fairer system. Wouldn't do much for all you bike haters, though.

8. JohnArnoldBrown

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI Estate 2003
    Really? That doesn't make any sense at all.
    I think I'll get rid of my Merc. I don't feel that I fit the demographic of CAT removing, speed limit despising bike haters.

9. keefysher

keefysher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
    Lies, damned lies and statistics ;):geek::rolleyes::cool:

Dean Fletcher and Blobcat like this.
  10. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I note you've cropped my post somewhat...
    It's called statistics - you can make them show anything you want to :rolleyes:

I think you're getting confused - no mention of removing CAT (especially the Blob variety :rolleyes:) and no hating of bikes. Inconsiderate cyclists have come under scrutiny and I doubt anyone would defend their actions.

Dean Fletcher and sl500amgsport like this.
  11. McDonald

McDonald Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2004
    People often express their views with a little too much heat and not enough light. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of a Mercedes Benz because some MB owners have a problem with cyclists. Many also express irrational prejudice about BMWs (John's a notable exception). Some people hate soccer, or particular teams...the list goes on. The Road Tax issue isn't about to be resolved on these pages.

We all agree that MBs are nice cars and some us think they're excellent.

John Laidlaw likes this.
  12. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    So as I pay a small fortune for Private Health cover for myself, family, and everyone who works for me as you put it "removing a substantial burden on the NHS", should I be entitled to pay reduced tax?

For the record I do not mind paying road and income tax to fund the NHS for others to use but frankly I find your argument to avoid your share because cycling reduces the NHS burden a little far fetched. Just to amplify how far fetched it is should joggers be entitled to reduced NI contributions or perhaps Gym memberships be fully tax deductible?

When a cyclist hits a motorist and it is the cyclists fault who pays for the damage? In 80% of cases (funnily enough the same % as cyclists who drive) it is the motorist, not only should adult cyclist pay some road tax perhaps it could be argued compulsory insurance should be in place...

Mercedes SL500 R231

MalcQV likes this.
  13. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    i dont hate cyclists either, i get tired of cyclists thinking motorists are perpetually liable for all road based ills they feel that they suffer whilst contributing nothing or very little to the taxes that motorists of all types have pay in order for roads to be cyclist friendly. hogging the road, not following traffic rules , the assumption that its always the motorists fault when something goes wrong. go to any big town or city,frankly its amazing that more are not injured or killed. many cyclists behave well on the road but that is no reason why they should not contribute in the form of a bike permit ,just as we motorists of ALL marques have to with our road tax.

sl500amgsport likes this.
  14. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG/ 2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    Bike riders should pay to use roads. No question. Why should they be exempt? (No, the NHS excuse doesn't wash with me)
    They also enjoy the potholes, and their contributions should help fix them;)

sl500amgsport likes this.
  15. Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes e 250 coupe AMG 2009
    I'm a Mercedes benz owner ohh and a cyclist. Seats down front wheel off jobs a goodun.

McDonald likes this.
  16. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    Nah we just tollorate @John Laidlaw at the moment as he’ll be back one day, grovelling on his knees for forgiveness :p:p;);)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. JohnArnoldBrown

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI Estate 2003
    It was supposed to be far fetched. It was supposed to be just as ridiculous as the other nonsense spouted in this thread.
    I don't really advocate such a move, any more than I advocate refusing to treat smokers.

You really haven't been paying attention. There is no such thing as "road tax". Roads come out of general taxation.

O.K. Now I give up. I have no idea where you found that statistic, but I strongly suspect you made it up.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    McDonald likes this.
  18. MalcQV

MalcQV Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes CLA200
    Cameras with sound and we're on cyclists :D. You have to love social media.
    I've a noisy car and will be one of those who slows down when there are cameras.. and guess what my car also becomes quiet too :p
    Not the Merc, that's neither fast or loud :rolleyes::D and in fact often those pesky cyclists pass me!

19. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG/ 2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    Oh I have you know.
    Yes, roads are built and maintained out of a "pot" made up from taxation.
    Car owners pay a road fund licence which goes into the pot so indirectly, yes the motorist is paying to use the roads system.
    What I was advocating is cyclists also use the road system and, as such should also contribute.
    Unfair? I don't believe so.

While we are at it, compulsory third party insurance for cyclists wouldn't go amiss. Not all accidents involving cyclists are the blame of the other party. Cyclist insurance would help pay for damage/injury caused if the accident was deemed their fault.

It should work both ways.

Tony Dyson and MalcQV like this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes CLA200
    I certainly think there is an argument based on at the very least you not owning a car but owning a bicycle and paying a tax.
    Insurance would also be included.
    I have three cars all in my name, I'm the only driver and nobody else in the house can drive. Why should i have to pay three lots of road fund licence and insurance?
    Why? because I am paying a tax to have the car/s on the road and notto specifically maintain the road. Same applies to cyclists.