Non start !

michaelr1946

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi Avantgarde estate 2001
Hi , not sure if I'm in the right bit of the "tech" forum ,but here goes . Went out to the car about 30mins ago (e320cdi estate ) and put key in , started ,it ran for about 4-5 seconds and then cut out . Tried to re-start but nothing at all , just turning over and failing to fire up . One point I noticed was that if I released the key in the "starting" position , it did not return to "ignition on " position but kept starter going , and had to be turned back manually to "ignition on " position . Has anyone any ideas on this ? , I'm wondering if this is immobiliser related (??) .
All help gratefully received ,and thanks in advance .
Cheers
Mike R

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
sounds like you have a fuelling problem, either air in the lines or low fuel pressure.
as for the key not returning, they are supposed to do this for a set period of time, by which time it would normally have started!

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Its normal for the starter to continue spinning until start is enabled. I would second fuel pipes letting air into the system. With a good battery and cranking she should restart.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As above fuel pipes and o rings.

When you start the car just turn the key and release...it will cancel itself when the car starts or has tried enough...it's not a problem.

OP
M

michaelr1946

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi Avantgarde estate 2001
  • Banned
Update on this one . The RAC guy arrived in due course ,listened to my problem description and then went under the bonnet ,undid air intake hose clip , administered small quantity of "easy start" while I cranked it over and way she went ! . The car had been parked for a day and a half on a "nose-up" incline, and the RAC man had the theory that the car had suffered something he called "diesel run-back", apparently it can happen if the vehicle is parked in this way,it then causes an airlock in the fuel line , which has to be bled out in the above way .
He then followed me on a five mile trip to next village , waited to see if car would re-start after visiting shop , all A-OK thankfully !! Result!!!.
Something to bear in mind if you get a similar problem . The guys who responded here were certainly on the right track (fuel issue) ,thanks again .
Cheers
Mike R.

robmc52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 2005 S320 CDI Previously...W210 2002 220cdi, W202 2000 C200T Kompressor
Changed all of the plastic lines on my 220 cdi about 2 years ago, all the ones on top of the engine anyway. Now as the weather is getting cooler it's taking longer for the engine to start when cold leading me to think that some of the pipework/seals that I didn't replace will now need doing. Are there any o rings around the fuel filter and the shut off valve assembly etc that I could usefully replace?

cheers
Bob

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom