Novice Needs Help

L

Leonatron

Hi All,

First of all I would like to apologise for being the greenest person ever to visit this website.
Up until now I have only driven a few buses a 32 seater a 24 seater and a few 16 seater minibuses as I only have my D license a couple of years and worked for only one person.
1, However I have just been offered a school run which is brilliant but I have to buy his bus 609D 28 seats 1996.
The engine sounds great and has power but the bus is tatty inside and the button on the floor by drivers foot has come off !!!!!!!

What was the button for ?
How much would you pay for the bus ?
How are you supposed to turn the bus off (I think the button was the cut off) at the moment I just take the key out and wait for it to shake to a stop but I'm sure that cant be good.

Any help would be great THANKS A MILLION

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
I used to drive mercedes trucks and they all had a button on the floor just behind your right heel. You'd take your foot of the gas pedal and press the button with your heel to apply the 'exhaust brake' basically slowed the truck down a little without using the brakes. Kind of a flap shutting off the exhaust - or something like that. And, as you say, you could also use it to stop the engine.

Not sure if that's the same thing on buses but kind of sounds like it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum,,,I had my doubts about any one here know much about them,,but 2 replies

E300tdHighlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 300td estate.
I would agree that the button is for an exhaust brake. I would also suggest that the fuel cut-off solinoid needs replaced.

Both faults should not be to difficult or costly.

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
Hi All,

First of all I would like to apologise for being the greenest person ever to visit this website.
Up until now I have only driven a few buses a 32 seater a 24 seater and a few 16 seater minibuses as I only have my D license a couple of years and worked for only one person.
1, However I have just been offered a school run which is brilliant but I have to buy his bus 609D 28 seats 1996.
The engine sounds great and has power but the bus is tatty inside and the button on the floor by drivers foot has come off !!!!!!!

What was the button for ?
How much would you pay for the bus ?
How are you supposed to turn the bus off (I think the button was the cut off) at the moment I just take the key out and wait for it to shake to a stop but I'm sure that cant be good.

Any help would be great THANKS A MILLION

How much is the bus worth ? Don't know but have you asked why somebody wants to give up a lucrative school run ? Are there any new laws coming out that would require a vehicle to be a certain condition ? Seat belts on all seats etc ? I mean you're not going to buy a bus only to find that the law soon requires something doing to the bus that the other guy knows isn't going to pay for itself - er - or something like that.

OP
L

Leonatron

Thanks for the help.
My location is Cavan ( someone asked )

What price range ?
A little tatty but seems to be running fine.

So you just take out the key and wait for the engine to die out ???
Is that not labouring the engine and harming it ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
engine should be fine i think. from memory the 609D engine is the same as the 410D engine and that always took a second or so to die off. gutless though. 5 cylinder 2.9 engine, from memory, if its the same engine! i did once convert one to turbo. NEVER AGAIN!

OP
L

Leonatron

It takes about 30 seconds to die off but if you say that's OK then its OK with me.
Yes its a little gutless but its only being used for school run and its my first Mercedes and its a bus yes a bus not a piddling little car.
I'm a 40 year old driving instructor and yet I still love driving the bus ha ha

What's it worth any idea ??
Little tatty inside but good engine etc

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does it matter about being a little tatty inside with the animals that you will be transporting:D:D

OP
L

Leonatron

Hi SLC yes there are laws in place about the CPC not the day course but a proper CPC certificate.
Cost about €2500 and then you get an operators license etc for anything over a 9 seater.
Also takes about 6 months in college unless you have a partner or employee with this CPC certificate.
The fellow giving it to me is just getting old hes a millionair from all the land he has sold and just doesn't need the money.
But you are correct in what you say and the bus is probably worth any price just to get the run.

Thanks

OP
L

Leonatron

OOh Malcom thats a little harsh

djb

Reaction score
Is that cavan as in ireland? If so I think you need to find out about the regulations you might need to know and be compliant with, as I smell a rat,as in selling you a vehicle that the vendor knows has no value as cant be adapted / made compliant with forthcoming changes

OP
L

Leonatron

Yes your skepticism is well warranted but as the bus is only worth €5000 tops in my opinion it will have paid for its self in a few months,

OP
L

Leonatron

Besides I think it would make a great camper van if everything else went pear shaped !!

Thanks Again !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny thing is I can find no reference to a 609 D bus not here or here

OP
L

Leonatron

Maybe its a 709 Sorry like I said I am probably the greenest person ever to visit this site !!

Thanks for your help very much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you get the bus,,and you have the V5 this will give the chassis number,,depending on if MB made the complete bus or not all of the layouts and parts will be in 1 of the 2 links I put up. all pages open after BM half way down the page

OP
L

Leonatron

Thanks Malcolm I appreciate the help !

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom