O ring leaks - Oil Water and transmission fluid within one year!

David White

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 Bluetec S212 2013
After spotting leaking oil, the oil cooer was replaced on my 2013 E250, 4 hours labour so made sense to change the cooler itself rather than just the o rings

Next, coolant levels low, water was seeping out from the O ring at the back of the water pump, water pump had a little play in it but was not leaking, so new pump and o ring fitted.

Transmission oil cooler now leaking, seems most likely culprit is the O rings on the transmission lines. New cooler ordered, along with fittings.

Makes me wonder though if I could have gotten away with spending a few pence to fix all the leaks, most of the parts weren't that expensive but makes me wonder if O rings should be replaced as a preventative maintenance?

anyone else got leaks on a car around 10 years old, think id check your O rings !

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this I must admit I’ve never been a fan of o ring seals they are not a permanent solution but a convenient assembly aid so who benefits???….if you disassemble anything with o rings fitted always replace with new

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
In an ideal world o rings are not maintenance items. Sadly we see due to poor fitting of components on "newer" engines there is clearly bad design/poor quality components.

Its one of things that comes down to experience of having a car for a long time - you note its weak spots.

My OM648 is 20 years old and the best engine ever of low maintenance cf to the 13 year old OM642 - night and day..

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom