OEM manufacturers

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Is there really a difference between m0 and non m0. I always buy m0 but have always thought it is just a marketing ploy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I find this rather touching faith that the bottom line here is engineering excellence. It's not------ its cost! Mercedes may specify design tolerances- but at a price! This trade off between quality of component and its cost will always be made in favour of Mercedes rather than the customer. The days where engineers ran the show at Mercedes are long gone. Accountants rule the roost now. Taking a leaf out of their book if you buy an aftermarket part from an OEM that costs half the price of the Mercedes branded part is the Mercedes part twice as good or will it last twice as long is the question you have to ask?
For most people where cost is no object its makes sense and its simpler to go the Mercedes route. However if you are on a limited budget a carefully sourced good quality OEM [preferably German manufactured]will do 70-90% of the job for you and keep your car on the road. On a cost benefit ratio that's the better deal.
Remember that part that's just failed you have to replace was a "Mercedes quality" part when the car was assembled in the factory!;)

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164
All you have to remember on this subject is the following

Genuine Mercedes Parts = those supplied by the dealer in Genuine Merc Benz Packing

Original Equipment spare parts = those made by the same manufacturer as above delivered in their own packing / LUK / FTE / Sachs / Lemforder & so on.

Branded aftermarket = Made to similar process as above & should be matching quality.

Non Branded aftermarket parts = Parts manufactured by a supplier that does not manufacturer for O.E / O.E.S who's manufacturing process may be different or can not be proven.

These all come under quality status corresponding to bloc exemption 1400/2002

The problem we have these days are those words which seem to be said by many Matching Quality

These words seem very easily said & there is no one Policing these comments.

i.e there is not a department within the Automotive industry who is checking the quality of the products being supplied to make sure that they fall within safe standards or are Matching quality as per the distributor or Manufacturers comments.

So I could go to China, import in let say Water pumps re-brand these once there back in the UK & say that they are matching quality to those supplied by Merc Benz, Who is going to check, who is going to spend the money to check, answer no one.

I am sure this post could go on & on, as everyone has different views, there are many out there would think that Mercedes Benz manufacture ever part fitted to their car, even though many parts are marked with the manufacturers name Bosch TRW & so on, these people you can not change their thinking, even after they are shown the parts with Bosch logo's etc.

Last edited:

ROBGOSTY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 219 CLS 320
So being a bit pedantic those people recommending MB parts only are happy to go and pay nearly £100-00 for Xenon bulbs from MB, think I will stick with my E Bay cheapies :cool:

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
well, I started this thread as a few things in my head got me wondering about this. to be honest, i never expected it to turn out to be such a huge debate. It is, however, a very interesting one and, for once, i am glad i brought the subject up! i knew that it wouldnt be simple as manufacturers use various parts suppliers (ford for example used hella and carello predominantly for headlights but others were used too,) but as i wasnt looking at a specific part, but a general overview this has been very interesting.

as always we pay our money and take our chance, but we do at least have a better insight now into which brands SHOULD be better to buy, (hopefully) than some of the crap churned out on ebay/cheap factors parts etc

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164
well, I started this thread as a few things in my head got me wondering about this. to be honest, i never expected it to turn out to be such a huge debate. It is, however, a very interesting one and, for once, i am glad i brought the subject up! i knew that it wouldnt be simple as manufacturers use various parts suppliers (ford for example used hella and carello predominantly for headlights but others were used too,) but as i wasnt looking at a specific part, but a general overview this has been very interesting.

as always we pay our money and take our chance, but we do at least have a better insight now into which brands SHOULD be better to buy, (hopefully) than some of the crap churned out on ebay/cheap factors parts etc

Thanks Pete, Glad you did post this post, but as you can see everyone has different view.

I hope the Car cutaways have given you all a good insight to who is manufacturing what & it gives you all a better understanding what suppliers to use if you want to continue to use trusted O.E.S parts on your cars.

As I said I could post the largest post naming all the suppliers, but to be honest this would just bring more confusion to the subject.

I have outlined the O.E.S suppliers for each product group in a earlier post, as I said before stick to this Branded Aftermarket come O.E.S suppliers & you will not go wrong.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well Pete this is the first time that we have been able to discuss this subject without to trolls wrecking the thread.

We are a little wiser now :D and we have a choice of where and when to fit what we want to

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
In a slightly related vein, Fake Britain on BBC1 (just finished but on iPlayer soon) looks at fake car parts, mainly airbags.

Quite why you'd want an airbag replaced is unclear, as I would expect the car to be written off if they've deployed but I haven't seen the programme.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In a slightly related vein, Fake Britain on BBC1 (just finished but on iPlayer soon) looks at fake car parts, mainly airbags.

Quite why you'd want an airbag replaced is unclear, as I would expect the car to be written off if they've deployed but I haven't seen the programme.

If you wake up dead, then it was a fake :rolleyes:;):D

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164
So being a bit pedantic those people recommending MB parts only are happy to go and pay nearly £100-00 for Xenon bulbs from MB, think I will stick with my E Bay cheapies :cool:

Or the third option, buy the brands you trust

Bosch / Osram / Philips / GE / Hella

All the above are manufacturers of bulbs, they are not re-packer's selling in branded boxes.

Nearly every part of your car is saftey related, bulbs no exception. If a bulb lets go & you drive on one headlamp there is a chance that someone else could think you are a motor bike coming in the on coming direction & thus have a head on with you.

That is not to say anyone's bulbs are better than anyone else's & of coarse O.E.M bulbs blow after all.

You must make sure that any bulbs you fit to your car are "E" marked, the same with headlamps.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
If I may just add;

the price you see on non Mercedes supplied parts, is often not the full price you end up paying.

We have seen it here many times that some persons have experienced problems with their non Mercedes supplied parts, and have had to get involved with returning them, and either obtaining a correct replacement or even ending up going to the Mercedes dealer and buying an original part from Mercedes.

All that faffing about costs money, in both time and petrol, and car off road etc etc.

So, non Mercedes replacement parts are a bit of a gamble, that cannot be denied.

How much of a gambler do you want to be ?

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
What KTH286 has highlighted is probably a scenario that quite a few people on the forum would rather NOT discuss :rolleyes::rolleyes:shame on you KTH286 LOL

Last edited:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
What KTH286 has highlighted is probably a scenario that quite a few people on the forum would rather NOT discuss :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have seen someone here comment to the opposite, where an oem had no issues replacing a supplied brake disk, but MB refused as they did not fit the disk.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What KTH286 has highlighted is probably a scenario that quite a few people on the forum would rather NOT discuss :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some folk are very biased in one direction or the other

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Some folk are very biased in one direction or the other

Fair comment Malcolm but not a statement which every forum member can accept as truthfull (think about it )

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fair comment Malcolm but not a statement which every forum member can accept as truthfull (think about it )

One can only use what one has been found to be the best way to do the job, whether it be a time or money thing.

For me I use my head when buying something and consider the implications all round and take it from there, and that equals some things OE and other things not OE, most of the things that I have replaced of late have all been OE as they could not be sourced from elsewhere with the exception of brake parts

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
I have seen someone here comment to the opposite, where an oem had no issues replacing a supplied brake disk, but MB refused as they did not fit the disk.

Do we really want to go round in circles Mark? bottom line is there are negatives and positives in both mb and other suppliers and if allowed this thread will last for ever:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Do we really want to go round in circles Mark? bottom line is there are negatives and positives in both mb and other suppliers and if allowed this thread will last for ever:rolleyes::rolleyes:

thats me told :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom