Oil change Frequency E280 cdi

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 cdi Estate (Called Helga)
Yep, an extraction pump is the way.
Pela do a 6 litre pump, that's manual suction pump not electric. I think you can get larger.

Late for this messy change but the 2.7 CDI would have an oil quality monitor. If you see the obd counting down to next service, it goes up a couple of thousand miles or so when you top up some fresh oil. It's was nice back when cars could say thank you.
It did get me thinking if the onboard oil level display and service countdown did measure oil quality or was justb a dumb countdown after reset thing, so glad you have set my mind at rest, so will listen to the car for the next service, I'm worried now that my spanners may gather dust and corrosion, better buy a Land Rover to keep them in full use :D:D:D

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But then I wouldn't have it anymore...:(
I acquire more, I rarely dispose :rolleyes:
I also hate to part with any tools, just for that just in case I buy another if you had to fork out for a special vehicle specific tool, you guys got me thinking on this pumping old oil out, and I was sure for some project I had bought a manual vac pump, off I pop into the barn and hey presto there she blows all new and boxed never used, typical now I have done my oil change but good news for the next one.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Always changed my oil at 5K to 6K intervals. Mobil 1 0W40. E395941C-692A-47D7-866A-323272249E07.jpeg
But then I like to see clean oil on the rag, when i dip stick it.
As stated above new oil and a filter £100 ish.
New V8 5.5 ..... £50K! Who knows
5 years ownership wastes £500!
New rules state now Its an annual service, so this is covered now I am retired.
Only does 1,700 to 2,500 per year. With Corvid it might even be 1,400 miles!
Wish they would go back to to the 2 yearly or 10,000 miles service interval.
Changing oil at under 2,500 miles is IMO utterly pointless, OK I am not technical but if the oil is golden coloured and under 2 years old IMO its as good as new! Amazed the environmentalists don’t savage these Car Manufactures!

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Thanks Martin for your reply, I did get a great price from Merc of Edinburgh on Ebay but had already ordered the Mobil 1 but will give that a try next time, got a good deal off Euro Car Parts for Fram filters but tried a Mahle Oil Filter this time
I wouldn't use a Fram filter personally, they always appear cheap and badly made whenever you see a comparative cut open test. Mann are original equipment suppliers anyway, and aren't much more expensive.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
AFAIK services are determined by mileage interval or one year, whatever comes first.
This is to ensure things that require periodic change are done timely, i.e. brake fluid.

In effects casting a safety net

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't use a Fram filter personally, they always appear cheap and badly made whenever you see a comparative cut open test. Mann are original equipment suppliers anyway, and aren't much more expensive.
Never looked at those cut open tests so that will be on my to do list, they were very cheap so can just sling them and get better quality maybe after looking at the online vids?

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AFAIK services are determined by mileage interval or one year, whatever comes first.
This is to ensure things that require periodic change are done timely, i.e. brake fluid.

In effects casting a safety net
Just had a shock when testin g my brake fluid with one of the battery powered testers off Ebay, lit up like a Christmas Tree so a brake fluid swap will be done once my knee improves

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just had a shock when testin g my brake fluid with one of the battery powered testers off Ebay, lit up like a Christmas Tree so a brake fluid swap will be done once my knee improves
I bought one of those testers a few weeks ago on @LostKiwi advice , all in the green for me , but I had just done it (he says with a smug smile :D )

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
more importantly is the time as it absorbs water over time
Agreed...but should be waaaaaay longer than the 2 year change interval that most manufacturers recommend.
Take your car on a track though and that goes out the window. :D
The whole manufacturer brake fluid change frequency thing has been a bug bear of mine for many years, because I have never owned a car where it was actually needing done.......even at 5 years old was still testing perfectly.
Of course I would never tell people not to have it changed every 2 years. That is down to the individual, with most deciding to have it done because it is safety related.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I have tried the search but found no obvious answer, I have just swapped all the filters and oil in my E270 W211 and used quality Mobil 1 oil, some forum posts I have seen change the oil at 5000 miles, the car says somthing like 12,000 miles and I was going to change it every 10 to 12k. When in the office its a 20 mile trip each way so she gets nice and warm so what interval do people suggest?

Also was my choice of Mobil 1 good or would the Genuine Mercedes Oil be batter or on a par?

The car has covered 157,000 miles

I bought the 20 ltr MB oil from Newcastle and Smart, so that's the next 3 year's sorted @ 1 change per year, regardless of the mileage ( as long as its under 10'000 KLms / 6200 Miles.) Job done!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
As long as the oil spec meets 229.5 (229.51also good) it is good enough.
I've used Mobil 1 for years but more recently bought 20 litres in a handy container from MB Newcastle (via eBay), that's a Petronas oil.

For me servicing every 12.5K miles is fine and I don't mind if that's every 2 years(ish) as it was for Mrs Me's Gr Cherokee.

if its 229.51 its designed to do 2 years

after this modern additives capability wains....

OP
GeoffWestWales

GeoffWestWales

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Guys, only recently bought my car so no idea when the last fluid change waswho has done it on a car with SBC after I de-activate the system with my iCarsoft MB V 2.0 do I have to leave the ignition on and the code reader connected?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Sorry Guys, only recently bought my car so no idea when the last fluid change waswho has done it on a car with SBC after I de-activate the system with my iCarsoft MB V 2.0 do I have to leave the ignition on and the code reader connected?
How black is it ?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom