oil extracter

jack daniels

Reaction score
can anyone recomend one they have used , thinking of buying one before next service thanks.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Parrot of Doom said:
Too simply, you don't have to spend ££ for that :p, you need more gadgets:rolleyes:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
undo the sump nut, draining is the best way always, its the most effeicient way to remove all the bad bits.
Then again it up to you, I think you can get these topsiders from halfords.
I have also noticed the dealers use them now aswell, since they have those big windows looking into the workshop has never been such fun. I always demand they drain my oil and i stand there and watch them do it.

Stevie A

Reaction score
I was going to get a Mityvac oil extractor but am getting a slightly cheaper oil extractor by Stanley tools from Partco. Apparently a lot of Merc dealers in America use the Mityvac ones. See Mityvac.com I think or go into Partco and ask for a look at their catalogues. The one I am getting is about £68.

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
I still think draining through the sump plug is the best method by far.

I serviced my fathers sprinter based camper van at weekend and had time to leave it dripping overnight. Once the oil was refilled it was spotlesley clear.

When I do my own van I often only let it drain for 30-40 minutes and as a result always get a dark tint in the new oil due to the old oil residue.

Whenever I have had vans serviced at a dealer the oil is always fully black when I get it back, as though there was still a pint of old oil mixed in. The oil does look fresher but I much prefer my results and always doubt whether they have actually changed the oil (apart from one time when they obviously hadn't).

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I take on all the points you mention chaps

but I suck and suck and suck until I get that empty juice carton noise. Then I go for a cuppa, change the filter, maybe do the plugs, and have another go. I never get more than another 5 or 10 mls. I know that there may be some more lurking in there, but when I did the sump nut off after a suck test, I still only got about 15 ml out. The purist way of doing this would be drain, then refill with flushing oil, and drain again, but I don't think it's going to make that much difference. If I don't change my oil at 6k, I start to lose sleep, so I really don't think it's that critical.
My mechanic uses a sucker, but I bet he doesn't spend as long on the job as I do, so I must be getting more out than him. I'm certainly getting more out than MB would, as it's MY car I'm working on.

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
Myros said:
My mechanic uses a sucker, but I bet he doesn't spend as long on the job as I do, so I must be getting more out than him. I'm certainly getting more out than MB would, as it's MY car I'm working on.

This is one of the reasons I do my own servicing. Who cares most about your car/van, you or them?

I have also just thought of the killer reason to do the oil from underneath.

How else are you going to examine all the components for leakage and cable/pipework for security and chaffing?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
ah well,

I still have to get under the SL to do the oil filter, and that involves jacking it up a bit to get my corpulent frame underneath. That's why I prefer the sucker on the SL, as I also have to jack it up to get at the sump plug, and that tilts the engine backwards and holds oil away from the plug.
It gets very complex when you haven't got a pit. ( note to self, get a pit)
I rely on the driveway and the garage floor for leak indicators, and I do get down and have a look when I'm doing the tyres.
I only got the sucker as a labour-saving device, and it now takes me twice as long to do the oil. It does save my aching back on the floor though.

Stevie A

Reaction score
I got the oil extractor from Partco today and it was a "Sealey TP69 Oil Extractor" and not Stanley. It worked well and has a 6.5 litre capacity. Very similar to a Mityvac one. You can use it to extract engine and transmission oils etc.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom