Oil in intercooler pipe.

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
Hi.

I've just noticed oil and gunk around the connection at the top of the turbo to intercooler red pipe as it leaves the turbo, on my 2012 W212 2.1 CDI. I took the end off and the inside has a coating of oil. Is this normal or have I finally found why my DPF fills so fast?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Some misting on interior of pipe is normal, pool of oil in pipe is not, take off clean. Put back, look again in a few days. If pool of oil in pipe you likely have a leaking seal on turbo. Also check where any breather pipe re enters the induction system

OP
J

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
Some misting on interior of pipe is normal, pool of oil in pipe is not, take off clean. Put back, look again in a few days. If pool of oil in pipe you likely have a leaking seal on turbo. Also check where any breather pipe re enters the induction system
Hi. I took of the pipe on the induction side of the turbo and there was oil in that and a small pool in the mouth of the turbo. The breather pipe from the rocker cover joins into that intake pipe so I imagine it's sucking up lots of oil vapor from there.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Hi. I took of the pipe on the induction side of the turbo and there was oil in that and a small pool in the mouth of the turbo. The breather pipe from the rocker cover joins into that intake pipe so I imagine it's sucking up lots of oil vapor from there.
Exactly that.

OP
J

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
I've just done a blowby test, by balancing the oil cap and starting the engine. It bounces like mad and if you put your hand over the hole, there are very strong puffs of air. Oil always goes jet black very quickly so that seems to prove the blowby, especially as its done 225000 miles. I'm assuming this excess pressure then gives the oil down the rocker cover PCV and into the turbo.
Would an oil catcher be a good idea to put in between the PCV and the turbo?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
At those miles Yr likely p into wind, u cud try diverting breather into a plastic bottle, seal the pipe in the mouth of bottle, and cut a small hole in the side at top. Tape it somewhe safe, away from heat, see what collects there and if intercooler pipe stays clear.
Basically, pretty sure ur rings and bores are shot I bet it cranks over nice and fast!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I've just done a blowby test, by balancing the oil cap and starting the engine. It bounces like mad and if you put your hand over the hole, there are very strong puffs of air. Oil always goes jet black very quickly so that seems to prove the blowby, especially as its done 225000 miles. I'm assuming this excess pressure then gives the oil down the rocker cover PCV and into the turbo.
Would an oil catcher be a good idea to put in between the PCV and the turbo?

225000 miles and worrying about it now ??

Mmmmm

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom