Oil leak from transmission banjo bolt

OP
M

mikembman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class s203
Hi Umble,
Thanks for the explanation - will try again.

OP
M

mikembman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class s203
I tried using the dipstick again and think I've identified the 'stop' point, now I find the fluid level is above the max mark for the 80 degree measuring region even though the car hasn't been driven and the fluid is at ambient temperature. The car is on pretty level ground - how critical is this? Now I wonder if I should drain some fluid out as it appears to be over-filled.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I tried using the dipstick again and think I've identified the 'stop' point, now I find the fluid level is above the max mark for the 80 degree measuring region even though the car hasn't been driven and the fluid is at ambient temperature. The car is on pretty level ground - how critical is this? Now I wonder if I should drain some fluid out as it appears to be over-filled.
It's apparently pretty critical . The fluid expands a fair bit when hot , so if it's over the 80 max when it's not been driven it is WAY over what it should be .

OP
M

mikembman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class s203
I've had another go at measuring the fluid - I'd missed the point about measuring it with the engine running - doh! Anyway, seems the fluid was just at the bottom of the 80 degree range so I've topped it up a bit. Going back to my original issue seems even with plenty of fluid in the transmission there was virtually no loss when removing the banjo bolt. Thanks for all the advice. Onto the next job now - changing the rear diff oil, should be a piece of cake!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I've had another go at measuring the fluid - I'd missed the point about measuring it with the engine running - doh! Anyway, seems the fluid was just at the bottom of the 80 degree range so I've topped it up a bit. Going back to my original issue seems even with plenty of fluid in the transmission there was virtually no loss when removing the banjo bolt. Thanks for all the advice. Onto the next job now - changing the rear diff oil, should be a piece of cake!
Glad you got the engine running part in the end :) . Did you measure after a 20 Minuite drive whe the oil was hot AND the engine running ?

OP
M

mikembman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class s203
It was more like a 40 minute drive and yes the engine was running.

Top Bottom