Old mercs amazing how clever they are.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i find it amazing how clever my 13 yr old merc is, i have owned it from new and have now covered 197,000 miles. it is a 1997. e-300. td. 7 seat. eleg. est car.
all the cars i have owned would have allowed me to put a different size of tyre on the rear than the front which i did quite inocently on the merc to give me more mpg and improved aesthetics.
but the machine has a sufisticated brain, a 13 yr old one,it was happy to let me tootle arround at low speeds and all looked well, but then i took her on the motorway and when i exceeded 60 mph the warnings started, first up the ABS (anti lock braking), not happy, then up came the ASD (anti skid).
i cancelled the warings and took advice from my inde on the consequences, he said it could not harm anything but you will also find your cruise control will not work.
i decided i would live with all this as replacement front tyres were £250.
the cars brain then through the final test on me and added another malfunction, it started tightening the power steering as it is supposed to do at high speed, my inde said the computer is reducing the hydro oil to the steering rack and holding it when you come off the m/way.
so just forked out the £250 and now all is well, i am not miffed as i now know what a good brain my car has, the larger tyres up front look good and they give more cushioning. herbiemercman. http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10365&stc=1&d=1267685436

Attachments

• MERC NEW WHEELS 011209. 006.jpg
    MERC NEW WHEELS 011209. 006.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 25

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom