OM642 Misfire and White Smoke

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I don't want to scare you here but I have had this exact problem on a 2.7 terrano and it turned out to be a cracked head !

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
:( But wouldn't that be burning oil or coolant? I have checked the oil and coolant and they both appear to be contamination free and level. It's diesel which is being dumped into the exhaust unburned - possible bent exhaust valve? Or somehow only the passenger side cam has jumped a few teeth - doesn't explain why only cylinder 5 is different in relative compression?

My first thought was swirl flap failure as these were notorious on BMW diesels which I had last but searching the forum it doesn't seem to be an issue on the OM642.

The other thing is a few months ago I had an turbo actuator fault code (it would sometimes jerk on kickdown). I removed the clip to disconnect the actuator from the vane mechanism and noticed it was difficult to move, probably carbon seizing up the vanes. I did run some turbo cleaner in the tank 2-3 months ago, I checked now and the mechanism is extremely easy to move as it should be. I'm just imagining all sorts of things like a vane broke off and somehow got sucked back into cylinder 5 from the EGR :eek:. Ahhhh I think I need to order a borescope to have closure.

Last edited:
OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
Hi, the car was run with the Y-pipe removed in previous video shown, gases coming out of the breather hose seemed normal. Also removed oil filler cap while running to assess blowby - would these eliminate crankcase breather issues? The EGR I tried to check it last year but it was stuck on there, might give it another go removing it. I tried running it with injector 5 unplugged for a few seconds but smokes like this still - this is white and not blue, right? (I am colourblind!!)

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
Injectors 4/5 swapped over and it’s still misfiring on cylinder 5 :(

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Star can do a comparative compression test as well.

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
I've had it towed to the main dealers who'll be doing a proper compression test next week. The relative/comparative compression test was already performed at the Indy last month which showed a difference in cylinder 5.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had it towed to the main dealers who'll be doing a proper compression test next week. The relative/comparative compression test was already performed at the Indy last month which showed a difference in cylinder 5.

Why main dealer? They will do the same as the indy, for twice the price?

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
Yes, I know, but I also paid a lot at the Indy (10 hours) and it's still the same and been off the road for over a month. It's been frustrating and difficult not having the car running. Just trying something different as I feel a little helpless.

I did not have much confidence in the Indy as after 10 hours labour they asked me to change all the injectors at £300 each even though the relative compression test showed something up with cylinder 5, and it had been running perfectly before removing the high pressure fuel pump (I felt it would be more money wasted so perhaps the main dealer would be more targeted even though they cost more per hour)

I would appreciate any advice though as the dealers are awaiting my instruction on Monday. I could take it elsewhere but I would have to tow it yet again :/

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah fair enough! I was just wondering why the swap to a main dealer, they will be doing the same things as the indy but at a higher cost. I dont feel you will get a different outcome with the main dealer.

That said, the indy could recomending things based on information we dont have?

We dont know the numbers that star gave. It could be that whilst 5 was lower, its not out of spec, etc.

Any garage (main dealer, indy or not), should be able to to carry out a compression test and give you a next step at least.

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
Hi Alex, the values for the relative compression test were posted on the previous page, I have copied them below:
Cylinder 1 - 179 min-1
Cylinder 2 - 173 min-1
Cylinder 3 - 172 min-1
Cylinder 4 - 164 min-1
Cylinder 5 - 271 min-1
Cylinder 6 - 176 min-1

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
Removed all the injectors, tried to do a compression test but unfortunately my kit didn't have the right adaptor. Anyone know a link to the correct injector compression adaptor for mercedes?

What is strange is I removed the fuel pump relay and tried to crank it with the injectors off and I see this (oil?) coming out of cylinder 6? If anything, I would have thought cylinder 5 :/

Any ideas?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The copper washer that seals the injector to the cylinder head has failed. Get that replaced and the seat recut first. That might have been your issue all along with luck. They often leak unnoticed for a while before they get this bad

OP
H

hamodi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 2007 S320L CDI
The copper washer that seals the injector to the cylinder head has failed. Get that replaced and the seat recut first. That might have been your issue all along with luck. They often leak unnoticed for a while before they get this bad

Hello, I think you mean if the injectors were still in place and this happened but this is happening with the injectors removed.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
That'll teach me to use my phone for browsing! My eyesight is poor at the best of times! Either there is a lot of diesel in that pot or something else is getting in there. While you have the injectors out I would get them tested for dripping. Could be a lot of unburned diesel if the injector is dripping.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Put a kitchen towel over the hole to catch what's being ejected. You should quickly determine what it is from the smell and appearance.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom