Opinion on damage :(

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
Hi guys , just looking for opinions about the damage on my car , if to respray or not .
I am ocd , but the damages that seem deep to the Metal , seem to be hard to spot ?

thanks in advance
1D970AD4-6EDC-4A8B-9F43-08A6FBCAA7F5.jpeg AC1ED545-6CDD-4B62-A054-1822C899F976.jpeg

Attachments

• FFEF1F6E-D549-4FD0-86FF-0D0255733377.jpeg
    FFEF1F6E-D549-4FD0-86FF-0D0255733377.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
All of that can be repaired by a component Paint and Dent repair company/person very well.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If you are OCD, then you wont be happy till it's done.
A good body shop will do that no problem. I emphasise good.
The cost will vary depending how much blending they need to do.
On the face of it, its an easy job.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Hi guys , just looking for opinions about the damage on my car , if to respray or not .
I am ocd , but the damages that seem deep to the Metal , seem to be hard to spot ?

thanks in advance
View attachment 65488 View attachment 65493
That would really trigger me each time I cleaned the car, I f you used Dentmaster/Paint master they could blend that small area and you would never know, it does not need a whole bonnet job or anything

OP
J

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
That would really trigger me each time I cleaned the car, I f you used Dentmaster/Paint master they could blend that small area and you would never know, it does not need a whole bonnet job or anythin

OP
J

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
Thanks for your reply , That’s nice to know it might not need the whole bonnet done for that ... , it’s the front end one , that annoys me the most , if if I can’t see it 4 ft away.

do you think any good repairer could just blend in the area , instead of a full repray?
it’s a very shallow dent & chip unfortunately.

thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A good body shop should be able to sort that. If you can (‘Rona permitting) talk to one of your local garages used car managers and find out which body shop they use and recommend for their stock.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Thanks for your reply , That’s nice to know it might not need the whole bonnet done for that ... , it’s the front end one , that annoys me the most , if if I can’t see it 4 ft away.

do you think any good repairer could just blend in the area , instead of a full repray?
it’s a very shallow dent & chip unfortunately.

thanks
Blobcats dead right, all second hand dealers use a good paint shop to tidy up auction cars they buy and blending small jobs is their bread and butter so you would never see it after, because it needs building up before paint that would be £70 tops, perhaps less

OP
J

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
Thanks for the reply ! Going to have someone look at it on Monday ,
Mercedes approved repairer apparently ...
Hopefully it won’t mean 4 figures lol

OP
J

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
Thanks for the reply ! Going to have someone look at it on Monday ,
Mercedes approved repairer apparently ...
Hopefully it won’t mean 4 figures lol
Seems like one repairer thinks the whole bonnet will need to be resprayed :(
At the moment, it’s the slight dent that catches the eye most

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

If you have the whole bonnet repainted you could end up in a worse place than you are now. A good paint repair is the way forward, I have used them in the past and you wouldn't even know it had been repaired. :)

The trouble with a whole bonnet repaint is that if they don't get the metallic mix or colour quite right it will not look right. Once you have seen that there is a difference it will seem worse every time you look at it :shock:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Or just live with it. The problem is in your mind. Personally I would rather leave it than risk the problems Andy has outlined above.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
The cynic in me makes me question whether they are just trying to generate more turnover rather than do a simple, cheaper job?

See what someone like this says (I have no personal experience of the company and other similar firms are available!)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The 'smart repairers' don't like bonnets for some reason, they told my colleague here they can't blend the paint in without it being seen

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yep! bonnets are tricky all or nothing seems to be the only way. Looking at the damage I’d try dent removal and a touch-up stick if any bare metal is showing

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
In support of ChipsAway and their ilk, I had a small dent in the bonnet of my SL400 fixed by them. I got a quote from the local franchisee then asked Sandown MB who they used - and came up with the same person. I had dropped a tool onto the bonnet so a small sharp dent with a chip at the bottom. I was having the front valance (very low) scrape damage fixed at the Sandown bodyshop at the same time and they were happy for the ChipsAway guy to come and do the work on their premises and use the paint they had mixed for the valance to do the chip. Completely invisible job. - although bonnet is aluminium so debatably easier to do?

OP
J

Johnoo-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 d
In support of ChipsAway and their ilk, I had a small dent in the bonnet of my SL400 fixed by them. I got a quote from the local franchisee then asked Sandown MB who they used - and came up with the same person. I had dropped a tool onto the bonnet so a small sharp dent with a chip at the bottom. I was having the front valance (very low) scrape damage fixed at the Sandown bodyshop at the same time and they were happy for the ChipsAway guy to come and do the work on their premises and use the paint they had mixed for the valance to do the chip. Completely invisible job. - although bonnet is aluminium so debatably easier to do?
Interesting , seems similar to the damage I have , I am having doubts about the access underneath the chip , unless dent repair guys can do a good job from the outside ? I’m waiting for the dent repair guy to turn up in the next couple days .

not going to any body shops , they want to laquar the whole bonnet etc , 1400 later

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Interesting , seems similar to the damage I have , I am having doubts about the access underneath the chip , unless dent repair guys can do a good job from the outside ? I’m waiting for the dent repair guy to turn up in the next couple days .

not going to any body shops , they want to laquar the whole bonnet etc , 1400 later

They have special tools that get them into places you would think in-accessible so don't worry about them not being able to get behind/under the ding :)

Top Bottom