Other dealership experiences

maddog

Reaction score
Had a little problem with my wifes car a VW Beetle 2.3 V5 which up till now has been superb , it turned out the coil pack on one of the cylinders was faulty so bearing in mind it needed its big 4yr 40,000 mile service in a short while i would get both done at the same time

coil pack - done under warranty sir, even thought the car is a few months out of warranty no quibbles at all!!

Full service including plugs , all the filters inc pollen, winter check, couple of new bulbs and brake fluid change was less than £300 parts and labour!!!!
Total labour was £168

Car also had a complimentary valet not just washed but fully valeted

Earlier this year my E320 cost me almost £900 for a similar service and came out with a dent in the car and two faults!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will join you here Maddog, My sister inlaws Toyota went in for service,three years old, when she picked it up it had 4 new wheels, their remark, don't worry maddom, we did not like the corrosion, they are FOC.
The wheels on my 1999 SL were corroded at 36k. MB said nothing can be done about it. I told them that Volvo can make diamond turned and polished wheels that do not corrode, and I was told to buy another Volvo,

Malcolm

angus falconer

Reaction score
I had two Nissan 200Sx's one from new, totally standard, one s/h which I modded.

Sum total of problems over six years - errr.....the (aftermarket) alarm went wrong on one of them. Fixed under warranty

I think Japanese cars have been far better made than Germans over the last decade or so - that's certainly what the JD Power surveys say.

I'm still thinking of swapping the C43 for a newer C32 next year. A bit nervously.......

peterchurch

Reaction score
A fully working MB is a lovely car to own BUT...

I don't like the dealers at all...
They never distilled _ANY_ confidence that they really knew anything about my SL the times they got near my car they muttered something about not seeing one for months and then always managed to break more than they fixed :(

Meanwhile our Honda has now clocked up 25K without a single fault

My MR2 before my SL knotched up 70K with only minor warranty issues ...

and my new Saab has covered 6K without any issues and goes in for a general checkup This friday (software upadates etc) I have a new 95 estate for the day having booked my car in yesterday, rather than the several weeks that sytner would have requested for my SL...

I look forward to MB getting back to a standard that suits their price...

I

iainturbo

Just been to GERMANY to pick up new B class, terrific experience, lovely
polite friendly staff, pity my local service dept is not the same standard!!
They say they do well on MB surveys so Guys.... please fill on the latest Auto Exspress drivers Survey and let them KNOW!!!

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
peterchurch said:
A fully working MB is a lovely car to own BUT...

I don't like the dealers at all...
They never distilled _ANY_ confidence that they really knew anything about my SL the times they got near my car they muttered something about not seeing one for months and then always managed to break more than they fixed :(

Meanwhile our Honda has now clocked up 25K without a single fault

My MR2 before my SL knotched up 70K with only minor warranty issues ...

and my new Saab has covered 6K without any issues and goes in for a general checkup This friday (software upadates etc) I have a new 95 estate for the day having booked my car in yesterday, rather than the several weeks that sytner would have requested for my SL...

I look forward to MB getting back to a standard that suits their price...
Peter, Hope you are not dealing with Ashley Saab, Yoevil, when the ABS went down on a car I had, After 6 visits,I ended up in the workshop showing the engineer how to use the analyser.
Malcolm

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
I ended up in the workshop showing the engineer how to use the analyser.
Malcolm

Such characters defame the reputation of all Engineers and Technicians and don't deserve the reference.

George
(Grumpy Old Man)

OP
M

maddog

Reaction score
Silver Arrow said:
I ended up in the workshop showing the engineer how to use the analyser.
Malcolm

Such characters defame the reputation of all Engineers and Technicians and don't deserve the reference.

George
(Grumpy Old Man)

the term engineer now refers to the type of engineer than can repair a washing machine not a trained fitter it is indeed a sad state of affairs

Had a similar talk to the AA man whilst we were investigating the fault on my wifes car, upon pulling out a spark plug we could both see what was happening especially when compared to another plug that was working fine he said , "No-one reads plugs nowadays these skills are dying out"

He told me a story about being at a local Vauxhall dealership and hearing a car with a very sick engine, it was noisy and dropping cylinders obviously low on compression but the "engineer" maintained it was fine as it had just "come off the computer with no faults"!!!

He said the standard of skills at dealerships is dreadful, quote "they dont repair anything just swap parts"

Top Bottom