1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor Car Cover

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by tommytucker, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tommytucker

tommytucker Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 CDI Sport 2008 AMG bodykit/Brabus D6
    Hello all,I'm thinking of buying a half cover but I've never had one before so I wondered if anyone had any experience of them,good or bad.I've had a look on tinternet but so many to choose from so can anyone recommend who to buy from.
    Thanks in advance for any replies,
    Tom

2. Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
    I had one once .... Many years ago ... More bother than its worth in my view if it is to go n every night and off in the morning ...Stick an old blanket over your front windscreen and secure it in the doors when frost is forecast ....

3. Aitch55

Aitch55 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL55 AMG
    Was in Lidl recently and they had car, top covers for a fiver iirc.

4. mersum1es

mersum1es Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
    Used several years, different cheap ones (like Lidl)... works ok, pay attention to attaching hooks that they fit where ever you want hook them... some rubber bands tends to dead during the frozen times. If the cover has mirror pockets and cover is right size, usually stays better in place even in strong wind 8MB has heated mirrors so no big deal otherwise). windscreen may still be slightly frozen but at least you won't need to scrape thick ice...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Nemo20

Nemo20 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500
    I have a frost windscreen cover that works well, but I too like the idea of not having to de-ice any of the windows for the morning commute! I guess it depends how easy/quick it is to take on or off. If it takes a similar time to clearing all the frost then I could be tempted.

6. cleverdicky

cleverdicky Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB
    I used one once, but a pita.
    Caused more scratches and marks from dirt and mould etc than anything. Also when really frozen you cannot get it off.
    If you must have one, get one that is somehow supported that doesnt rest on the car.
    The one I used only really had one useful purpose.
    Ask Ginge ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. OP
    tommytucker

tommytucker Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 CDI Sport 2008 AMG bodykit/Brabus D6
    Outdoor cover

Thanks for the useful replies,I think I'll be staying with my trusty scraper.

8. as400

as400 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    BMW 325d Coupe.
    When we had some cold weather last year I watched my neighbor try this trick. It was so funny watching him the next morning trying to take this frozen shape of a blanket off his windscreen, and of course it left lots of fluff frozen to his screen. Its not something I would recommend.

One of those silver frost shields you get from Halfords is a great investment for about £5, can be used in summer to help keep a car cool too apparently though I can never be bothered. Mine is on its fifth year now sure saves on buying de-icer too!

9. stevieb15

stevieb15 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    98 r129 sl500,90 W126 500SE,03 CLK 320 Avant Convertible
    I always use newspaper.