Parking brake not releasing. 2004 W211 E270cdi

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
The foot operated parking brake has become progressively more difficult to release ... over last 18 months.
It quite often needed about 2 or 3 cycles of me pulling the release handle and letting it spring back in, before the "parking brake on" warning light went off ... now I'm having to give it about 15 to 20 'cycles' before it finally releases.

Pressing the brake pedal or manually trying to lift the foot operated parking brake pedal does not seem to have any influence ... in fact the foot operated pedal didn't seem to need pulling back.
Pulling and releasing the 'release lever' lots of times is the only solution.

I have grovelled about in the footwell and sprayed WD40 on to anything that looks like a pawl or pivot ..... no improvement!

If parking on the flat I have started to not use the parking brake but there are situations where I need to use it and I always worry that one day it will never release.

My question is where do I start first?
Do I start at rear .... the parking brake shoes / cables etc or further forward at the release/adjuster mechanism which appears to be tucked away under the car requiring jacking up, removal of heat shields etc ... looks a 'orrible job to get at!

Any advice most welcome.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Sadly it will almost certainly be the cable/adjuster and operating arm that is gradually seizing up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
J

james2747

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI 2003
Sadly it will almost certainly be the cable/adjuster and operating arm that is gradually seizing up.

Hi robin.large
Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.
I was afraid it might be an issue with the adjuster area as you suggest ... so I'll start with that and a can of lubricant spray and hope for the best. Its just a hassle for me to get car up in air (sloping gravel drive) and it doesn't look too easy to remove the bits and heat shield to get access to that area.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Meanwhile only use it on steep hills.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
The foot operated parking brake has become progressively more difficult to release ... over last 18 months.
It quite often needed about 2 or 3 cycles of me pulling the release handle and letting it spring back in, before the "parking brake on" warning light went off ... now I'm having to give it about 15 to 20 'cycles' before it finally releases.

Pressing the brake pedal or manually trying to lift the foot operated parking brake pedal does not seem to have any influence ... in fact the foot operated pedal didn't seem to need pulling back.
Pulling and releasing the 'release lever' lots of times is the only solution.

I have grovelled about in the footwell and sprayed WD40 on to anything that looks like a pawl or pivot ..... no improvement!

If parking on the flat I have started to not use the parking brake but there are situations where I need to use it and I always worry that one day it will never release.

My question is where do I start first?
Do I start at rear .... the parking brake shoes / cables etc or further forward at the release/adjuster mechanism which appears to be tucked away under the car requiring jacking up, removal of heat shields etc ... looks a 'orrible job to get at!

Any advice most welcome.
This will show you the parts not the position, it may be of some help.
https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/car/e-klasse/e+270+cdi/66g/210016/fg/0/0/42/0/145/0/0/

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I have this problem with my 05 CLK, either push hard on park pedal when parking and it will release. I have for years just lift the pedal with my foot.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I have this problem with my 05 CLK, either push hard on park pedal when parking and it will release. I have for years just lift the pedal with my foot.

Lube the workings under the steering wheel area, and have the shoes nipped up. Release will be a doddle.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I had the same problem about 3 years ago. One of the guys at my garage stripped the mechanism down and as james2747 says, he then sprayed it with WD40 quite liberally. So far - with fingers Xd - no reoccurrence.

I've often wondered how effective it really is (although I put it in "Park" as well, anyway) but it's easy to forget to release it - then the "doh!"red warning light comes on and it "screams".

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
In most countries this is noted as an 'emergency' brake for any auto with Park.

I haven't used the 'emergency' brake in any of my car's for probably 20 years or so

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I only use parking brake on steep slope, I don't like the thump when pulling the gear stick out of P

Top Bottom