Parking brake squeel help, very bad

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 250 cabriolet, 190E 2.0L
Hello my E class A207 has developed a terrible squeel from the brakes. It's coming from the parking brake. I've already had the pedal and release mechanism/spring replaced. The squeel happens when driving normally without the brakes applied.

I've had my brakes cleaned/adjusted and serviced they also adjusted the parking brake and the squeel is now so bad the car is basically un-drivable. The garage think the parking brake shoes are the cause due to bieng worn. Would this cause noisy brakes?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
If the garage cleaned and serviced brakes how come they let it out the door like that?
If brake is down to metal it will squeal when brake is applied.
Sounds like it needs resetting!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
hod05

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the garage cleaned and serviced brakes how come they let it out the door like that?
If brake is down to metal it will squeal when brake is applied.
Sounds like it needs resetting!

The garage isn't my usual one and I wouldn't go back for anything other than tyres again in the future.

Once the parking brake has been applied and removed the brakes then squeel terrible. If the parking brake isn't used for a extended period then the issue goes away

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Probably needs a good clean out and new pads.
Strange how in Britain we call it a parking brake and use it al the time but in US it's referred to as an emergency brake and never used.
Think I only ever use mine on hills.

OP
hod05

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably needs a good clean out and new pads.
Strange how in Britain we call it a parking brake and use it al the time but in US it's referred to as an emergency brake and never used.
Think I only ever use mine on hills.

The garage cleaned all four brakes they told me the parking brake needs new "shoes" is the parking brake a separate system? What are these shoes?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
You have disc brake all round but inside the rear hub you have parking brake shoes. Not expensive. It's an easy DIY or any brake shop.

OP
hod05

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have disc brake all round but inside the rear hub you have parking brake shoes. Not expensive. It's an easy DIY or any brake shop.

The garage quoted me £255 to put new shoes on. I paid a similar amount to have the brakes dismantled cleaned up and put back together.

These prices seem reasonable?

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Sounds a bit expensive to be honest. But I do all my own work so not really in a position to comment.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
If you look on Autodoc and add in your car details you will get an idea of prices.

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
Anyway you can post a video with the sound. I had a similar issue wanted to see if it was the same sound. Shoes are pretty cheap and replaced

Ivanhoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1998 2.8
Check where the cables join the rear hand brake pads if its stiff or worn this will cause the hand brake to bind on slightley causing squeel I never use garages unless absolutely necessary as most are crap or young kids that don't have a clue

OP
hod05

hod05

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Took the car for a drive around 40 miles and it didn't squeal again. So for now seems sorted

john campbell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 sport deisel
The garage quoted me £255 to put new shoes on. I paid a similar amount to have the brakes dismantled cleaned up and put back together.
WoW they seen you coming............ we charge £25 for fronts and £25 rear strip and clean........... Replacing the rear handbrake shoes and spring kit £120 job done. I wouldn't be going back to that garage in a hurry that's for sure and the brake shoe leaver in the drum will be stuck and that's why you are getting the sqeel as it will be holding the brake shoe onto the drum.

Top Bottom