Parktronic sensors not working

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
yes.... however u need a video input to the comand screen (early NTG1 in a 211 doesn't have this) and to use an NTSC camera

The one that I was looking at has a PAL camera, so I take it that this will not work.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I find the parking sensors pretty much a waste of space. The displays all light up and beep as they should but its far easier just to use my eyes and actually look where im going .
The reversing camera is usefull for one thing, showing me exactly when to stop when reversing up to a wall and leaving just enough room for the tailgate to open without hitting the wall, or opening it at night in reverse to look at the stars ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
but its far easier just to use my eyes and actually look where im going . ....

I used to say similar about parking sensor until I had a car with them ..... even using your eyes, you've no idea where the front &/or back of an R Class or ML is ;) ;)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I had no problem with a 4x4 offroading where you really do need to know where the corners of your vehicle are..
Parking sensors are an aid though, but I feel I trust my own judgement more than the sensors .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I had no problem with a 4x4 offroading where you really do need to know where the corners of your vehicle are.. .....

Off roading & not hitting the car infront/behind you in a car park are a little different from each other! :rolleyes:

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I had no problem with a 4x4 offroading where you really do need to know where the corners of your vehicle are..
Parking sensors are an aid though, but I feel I trust my own judgement more than the sensors .

There is not much of a rear window to look out of in an SLK

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There is not much of a rear window to look out of in an SLK
There’s not that much behind you either... very easy with the top down :D

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Off roading & not hitting the car infront/behind you in a car park are a little different from each other!
Well yes, worst that can happen when parking is a minor ding, Misjudge the edge when offroading though and its the end of your vehicle and maybe you as you roll down a hill ?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Well yes, worst that can happen when parking is a minor ding, Misjudge the edge when offroading though and its the end of your vehicle and maybe you as you roll down a hill ?

You're not likely to be looking at parking sensors then ....

W245207

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245 B180 CDi 2005
have u ever owned a BMW? they have

1) decent parking sensor range,
2) great visual representation
3) one screen located in a pretty sensible position
4) loud beeps that are audible whenever an object is in range
5) each corner gets it own tone

on my Merc they
1) react 1800mm later than a BMW
2) have the most useless and incompetent visual representation of what happening possible,
3) the TWO displays are situated in different locations, neither are in the line of sight of the driver, with the front obscured by the steering wheel spokes
4) they are 1/2 as loud as you need and only beep within 500mm of hitting something, so even when driving slowly its late to react to
5) have the same tone everywhere, so you have no idea what's close to what as you bob about the cabin like a demented chicken trying to look at 5 locations at once

I owned a BMW and they were the best, worked in real time with great accuracy. The later models are rubbish (F series) and the lane guidance on the G series is poor in comparison with the S class.

I thought it was just me that there is a sensitivity issue. I agree that you will hit something before they start beeping continuously. It's like a cheap DVO meter with delayed latching when on continuity mode. I have an aftermarket headunit with rearview camera. The headunit should be positioned higher where the vents are, more apparent when using the satnav.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_081342.jpg
    IMG_20190513_081342.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I owned a BMW and they were the best, worked in real time with great accuracy. The later models are rubbish (F series) and the lane guidance on the G series is poor in comparison with the S class.

I thought it was just me that there is a sensitivity issue. I agree that you will hit something before they start beeping continuously. It's like a cheap DVO meter with delayed latching when on continuity mode. I have an aftermarket headunit with rearview camera. The headunit should be positioned higher where the vents are, more apparent when using the satnav.

Thank you for a reply on parking sensors/cameras

W245207

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245 B180 CDi 2005
Thank you for a reply on parking sensors/cameras

You should be able to find out from iCarsoft which ones are faulty, remember to scroll the page to view faults.

When I bought my car, the parktronic wasn't working. The rear roof display was disconnected, would beep continously with two red dots. I replaced all the front and one rear sensor. I replaced the rear display unit which was corroded, most likely water ingress from broken roof aerial. It's working without any issue, although the sensitivity isn't great when object is very close.

I replaced the factory headunit for an oem Android aftermarket (satnav) and added a rearview camera. It keeps the mrs quiet!

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
If its not working you get 4 red blocks and a constant beep for a short while. Then the system switches off. The scan will show duff sensors.

Yes this is exactly what is showing. I will plug it in as I now have the car.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
xrap sensors again ,? benz must make millions out of them !!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if its a SLK does it have air suspension?

if so I would expect S M C to do more than just gearbox - on the S it changes behaviour of gearbox, suspension, steering and adaptive cruise control

have you got buttons on the back of the wheel rather than obvious paddles? my S does.

You can use in any setting and stop it changing high than you ask. By stopping it using 6 and 7 it works very well for below 50 mph driving (95% of UK motoring these days) and it makes it a much better car. Shame they didn't just write the software correctly. Why do you want the car at 1100 rpm, unresponsive, continually making unnecessary gear changes, puking out fumes and discharging the battery? at 1500 everything is happier

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi Back to Parktronic.
This is a Icarsoft, Parktronic fault code on a 2006 R170 200 SLK. Exactly as on the fault reader.

the driver a failure, even though PTS is not defective (eg. Car Wash, Pnumatic drill or Traffic Light induction loops).

This is the only code on the parktronic. I know what I THINK that it is, but your imput would be good.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
which icarsoft unit did you use ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi Back to Parktronic.
This is a Icarsoft, Parktronic fault code on a 2006 R170 200 SLK. Exactly as on the fault reader.

the driver a failure, even though PTS is not defective (eg. Car Wash, Pnumatic drill or Traffic Light induction loops).

This is the only code on the parktronic. I know what I THINK that it is, but your imput would be good.

I don't understand you asking the same thing over and over.... I have answered in detail twice

it means the sensors picked up interference from other sources and got confused and temporarily deactivated them. It is meaningless garbage, there is nothing you can do with that information and even less to stop it happening. It is also missing the correct code and its not Mercedes description of the situation the car had. But it is letting you know the car recorded it to the fault memory which is what they do...

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I don't understand you asking the same thing over and over.... I have answered in detail twice

it means the sensors picked up interference from other sources and got confused and temporarily deactivated them. It is meaningless garbage, there is nothing you can do with that information and even less to stop it happening. It is also missing the correct code and its not Mercedes description of the situation the car had. But it is letting you know the car recorded it to the fault memory which is what they do...

Questions do not start with this is. That is a statement and this was an answer to

Chill honey. What I do not understand is why people hijack a thread talking rubbish and going off the point. At one point we are talking about air suspention. What is that about and gear setting. Don't read a thread if it offends you.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom