Pay per Mile

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Then the ANPR will replaced with another device in police cars to check if the GPS system isn't disabled in your vehicle to cheat the government. Probably with advances in GPS government can eventually check if your cars taxed, insured, speeding, location and tracking. Big brothers only getting started:D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why even think about gps systems?
It'll never happen as public outcry about tracking would prevent it.
ANPR is here already. It's a fait accompli.
A few more ANPR cameras in rural areas and jobs done. The public know ANPR is already there but haven't really appreciated the level of tracking, but being already in place makes it harder to object to.
The issue with GPS systems in cars is the sheer cost and delay of doing it. Every car owner would need to buy a unit for every car they own. That won't go down well.
Then there's the enforcement of them, dealing with failures, blocked signals etc.

The only issue with ANPR is dodgy/stolen plates. Easy enough to deal with by police cars and at MOT. Make the penalty stiff enough.....

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The simple no cost option is the put it on fuel, catches everyone even foreigners.
They lost a fortune getting rid of the tax disc, so there will be ways round any electronic system. Plus there is set up & running costs AMPR won't catch everyone, so we will need an electronic box in the car.
Its going to be a while yet.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
No ANPR,s in rural areas, we will just run them poles over with our tractors:D The cheek trying to make us give up our way of life of red diesel, no tax, no MOT. NEVER:D

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The simple no cost option is the put it on fuel, catches everyone even foreigners.
They lost a fortune getting rid of the tax disc, so there will be ways round any electronic system. Plus there is set up & running costs AMPR won't catch everyone, so we will need an electronic box in the car.
Its going to be a while yet.
Doesn't catch electric cars....

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Maybe a barge will be the answer,
the canal system is only down at Whaley Bridge.
No, your smart meter will detect it's charging a car and add it to your leccy bill

Things are looking to get cleverer and cleverer,
I am worried as soon we will be charged per fart, serves the git right that tries to measure that one.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Why even think about gps systems?
It'll never happen as public outcry about tracking would prevent it.
ANPR is here already. It's a fait accompli.
A few more ANPR cameras in rural areas and jobs done. The public know ANPR is already there but haven't really appreciated the level of tracking, but being already in place makes it harder to object to.
The issue with GPS systems in cars is the sheer cost and delay of doing it. Every car owner would need to buy a unit for every car they own. That won't go down well.
Then there's the enforcement of them, dealing with failures, blocked signals etc.

The only issue with ANPR is dodgy/stolen plates. Easy enough to deal with by police cars and at MOT. Make the penalty stiff enough.....
Given the restrictions we are already under (for our own good! :rolleyes:) I can't see that the outcry wil bother the government too much.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Black boxes are already in cars via our Insurance at the more exposed end and they will gradually increase their coverage until cost drives us all.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
HM Gov has a problem if they bunk up the leccy cost because having forced the issue so that there will be no new internal combustion cars they will really be hammered in the ballot box over the cost of going "green" on their watch.

Maybe it's time someone dug down into Nikola Tesla's papers (the CIA allegedly raided his home when he died and took all of them so they're under lock and key somewhere) to see if there was any real truth in his idea of "free electricity"...

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HM Gov has a problem if they bunk up the leccy cost because having forced the issue so that there will be no new internal combustion cars they will really be hammered in the ballot box over the cost of going "green" on their watch.

We were manipulated to go diesel years ago,
once so many have taken the bait we get reeled in.

Which party are we blaming cos I'm not aware.

Add the bumped taxation of different type we are now being convinced the the evil diesel is killing all those school kids as we drive past their school.
Admit you lot that are as old as I am your a ghost aren't you. You must be as you've been breathing this stuff since that fictitious chap knows when.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I have just finished reading the same article from a different source where "an expert" estimated the cost to be around 75p per mile.
Now it doesnt take a genius to quickly work out that figure is most stratosperically astronomical....plus a whole heap of other superlatives! :eek:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We were manipulated to go diesel years ago,
once so many have taken the bait we get reeled in.

Which party are we blaming cos I'm not aware.

Add the bumped taxation of different type we are now being convinced the the evil diesel is killing all those school kids as we drive past their school.
Admit you lot that are as old as I am your a ghost aren't you. You must be as you've been breathing this stuff since that fictitious chap knows when.

It was interesting that during Theresa May's short tenure at No 10 when she was pretending she would put right the wrongs of the past, she made a remark about the public having been misled and guided towards diesel and implied that HM Gov should do something to soften the cost etc.

But she was obviously told it would cost a lot more dosh than they could find down the sofa so the subject was quietly swept under one the many, large ministerial tables.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just finished reading the same article from a different source where "an expert" estimated the cost to be around 75p per mile.
Now it doesnt take a genius to quickly work out that figure is most stratosperically astronomical....plus a whole heap of other superlatives! :eek:

That wouldn't cost a lot driving in London, and you even get a LEZ thrown in if you want one.

So a quick calc of driving to Beaumaris for a w/e play on the boat, 116 miles each way. That's only £174.
Thing is we have to be careful with experts, cos everyone can be one.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220

75p ......, 5p per mile is still expensive based on average 10k per annum.
I ll bet that they would STILL want the road tax too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
75p ......, 5p per mile is still expensive based on average 10k per annum.
I ll bet that they would STILL want the road tax too.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Of course they will. It's all about milking the motorist.

Personally, I've never understood why no government ever grasped the nettle and removed road tax altogether and replaced it solely with fuel tax. Nobody would have escaped paying (apart from those who literally run from the filling stations) and collection would be simple - they would only have to turn up the percentage they collect. Then the high milers who wear out the roads most would pay most tax and manufacturers would start to really compete to build the most economical vehicles.

But by splitting it across two tax streams they fooled some people into thinking it wasn't too bad... But given the forced switch to electric cars, tomorrow's collection method will probably comprise being clobbered with electricity tax.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
- Of course they will. It's all about milking the motorist.

Personally, I've never understood why no government ever grasped the nettle and removed road tax altogether and replaced it solely with fuel tax. Nobody would have escaped paying (apart from those who literally run from the filling stations) and collection would be simple - they would only have to turn up the percentage they collect. Then the high milers who wear out the roads most would pay most tax and manufacturers would start to really compete to build the most economical vehicles.

But by splitting it across two tax streams they fooled some people into thinking it wasn't too bad... But given the forced switch to electric cars, tomorrow's collection method will probably comprise being clobbered with electricity tax.
Doesn’t catch the people making their own biofuels...!!!!!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The one thing I KNOW whatever scheme they come up with WONT be taking any less out of my pocket.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom