Pedestrian V's Car at Roundabout

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A pedestrian is either waiting to cross at a roundabout, or stood at the island halfway. In this scenario it's a medium sized roundabout, with 3 A roads at the junction.
Cars don't like stopping to give the pedestrian opportunity to cross, so taking advantage of a small gap between cars, as a car is approaching the give way point the pedestrian crosses. No matter which part of the crossing the pedestrian is at he / she is on the other side of the give way to a car.

Pedestrian is halfway across the carriageway. Car driver, having looked right, continues over the give way making a left turn, and on now seeing the pedestrian gets horny. Pedestrian signals to driver to look up (vertical index finger).

Opinions on culpability welcome.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

3. Road junctions (170 to 183)​

Take extra care at junctions. You should
  • watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians including powered wheelchairs/mobility scooter users as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way (see Rule H2)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
ther are a couple of these in HUll but they have zebra crossings on , ****** dangerous things , im amazed there arent more accidents at them

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
My view in terms of the practicality of operating my vehicle in the interests of safety, especially those in more vulnerable positions, is I don't hoon it round roundabouts, and I treat the roundabout as it's own separate entity so when I exit the roundabout ON TO another road (which might effectively be the 'same road' I'm travelling on), if someone is already on that road ahead of me as I exit the roundabout, I will look to give them priority. I am in the minority with this approach from my observations when out and about driving.

The (IMO) dangerous compounding factor in this is now the priority rules have recently changed, pedestrians believing they have priority over vehicles in certain situations might step out in front of cars going faster than ideal, with the expectation they will magically stop faster than the laws of physics permit. Who was in the right or wrong in this situation gets irrelevant pretty fast.

My driving philosophy is drive as safe as I can, and try to avoid any accident regardless of the other clueless muppets on road (or on foot) practically trying to cause and accident or their own demise.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I / we are regularly those pedestrians. In winter I generally carry an LED torch and aim it in the direction of the oncoming traffic , it flashing, but not aimed to blind the driver/s. Time to start carrying it again methinks.
If we wait for a polite driver we would be waiting an age. It raining, as is often here, no more consideration is offered.

When in Saigon we learned that pedestrians wait for lights to change and cross, on one side of the road the vehicles (mainly mopeds) will be turning into that carriageway, ,000's of 'em. Pedestrians just walk and vehicles navigate around them. No lights you just walk anyway. That was a worry at first, but we soon got used to it.

Here drivers feel that pedestrians don't have any right to impede their hurry. Cars have priority over all else. It's very true that being righteous could mean my getting walloped by a car, or the driver, so while not wishing to be stupid about crossing I don't intend to stand for very long waiting.

Tbh I have a similar chip on me shoulder regarding cars parked on pavements that cause me to walk into the road to pass them, wtf. It seems only London are attempting to do something about that one.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
What is the rule regarding speed entering a roundabout? Where I learned to drive it was (IIRC) 10mph (slow). Here the rule seems to be go through as fast as you can!!:oops:
Yep, round here the local council has tried to slow traffic entering a roundabout by planting all manner of things on it and fencing on the approach all that seems to do as a pedestrian is restrict the view of traffic approaching the roundabout and very little for restricting speed of those negotiating it - you can’t win!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yep, round here the local council has tried to slow traffic entering a roundabout by planting all manner of things on it and fencing on the approach all that seems to do as a pedestrian is restrict the view of traffic approaching the roundabout and very little for restricting speed of those negotiating it - you can’t win!
I’ve just googled it. Seems it is the posted speed limit.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What is the rule regarding speed entering a roundabout? Where I learned to drive it was (IIRC) 10mph (slow). Here the rule seems to be go through as fast as you can!!:oops:
Roundabouts are there to keep traffic flowing…
Way too many pull up to them thinking they’re a “stop” - they then see there’s a vehicle 100yds or so away so wait, update their Fb profile, post a few on the ‘gram then proceed..

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
and
Roundabouts are there to keep traffic flowing…
Way too many pull up to them thinking they’re a “stop” - they then see there’s a vehicle 100yds or so away so wait, update their Fb profile, post a few on the ‘gram then proceed..
You didn’t answer the question.;)

However, I’ve been at roundabouts with cars going through at 50/60 mph. If traffic is coming from the right and it is busy, it becomes tricky getting home. Not going to keep traffic flowing for the side that is trying to cross.

Then the are the drivers that don’t understand that once you have entered the roundabout (with you entering on their left) ahead of them crossing the “give way line", you have right of way regardless of what speed they are doing.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and

You didn’t answer the question.;)

However, I’ve been at roundabouts with cars going through at 50/60 mph. If traffic is coming from the right and it is busy, it becomes tricky getting home. Not going to keep traffic flowing for the side that is trying to cross.

Then the are the drivers that don’t understand that once you have entered the roundabout (with you entering on their left) ahead of them crossing the “give way line", you have right of way regardless of what speed they are doing.
The question that you’d already answered…:rolleyes:

Speed limit on the roundabout is the same as posted for the roads to and from it…;):p

Appropriate speed is what you need if a traffic officer was say following behind you on a motorcycle…

They’re “traffic circles” for you anyways…:D

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646

Exactly right.
If only drivers understood then you wouldn't have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for the continuous flow from the right to finish. The 'system' would work better if they did understand.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The question that you’d already answered…:rolleyes:

Speed limit on the roundabout is the same as posted for the roads to and from it…;):p

Appropriate speed is what you need if a traffic officer was say following behind you on a motorcycle…

They’re “traffic circles” for you anyways…:D
Circles & robots but they are not applicable to the taxi drivers there..:p

Last edited:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
It came as a bit of a shock in the past couple of years to realise that drivers, seeing me standing waiting to cross, were stopping and waving me across the road. Sad - I must now be looking decrepit.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom