Performance issues with SL55

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Haha sorry!! I completely forgot about your injector saga. Was your diverter flap playing about?

History now Alex ;)
Yes the scanner picked up recirculation flap fault. It must have been like it for years, intermittent as well. That's why we had so much performance issues with the 55. Will investigate further when I'm home again, but sou ds like the secondary throttle is sticking?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
History now Alex ;)
Yes the scanner picked up recirculation flap fault. It must have been like it for years, intermittent as well. That's why we had so much performance issues with the 55. Will investigate further when I'm home again, but sou ds like the secondary throttle is sticking?
Quite possible, the throttles default position is open, then its closed (should be) on boost.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quite possible, the throttles default position is open, then its closed (should be) on boost.

Sometimes the car won't rev past 4200 while driving, other times it feels like the throttle isn't shutting and it's overriding the brakes making braking a bit scary when the car decides to try and accelerate :eek: Sometimes it will start from cold perfectly other times it'll idle at 2500 revs and run on 5 to 7 cylinders. When this happens I shut off and restart and all good. To me the secondary butterfly has a mind of its own. If we clear all the faults it goes extremely well on a good fast and full throttle drive, but will revert back to this intermittent problem :rolleyes: It runs fine if you keep it under 4000 rpm's apart from the start up sometimes. As mentioned itcis very intermittent.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't think thats the bypass flap. If the flap was sticking closed, the engine would bog down, as its pulling air through the supercharger, but with the clutch open. I would say engine ecu, wiring to bypass flap/throttle body or throttle body or air leak. Have you smoke tested it?

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't think thats the bypass flap. If the flap was sticking closed, the engine would bog down, as its pulling air through the supercharger, but with the clutch open. I would say engine ecu, wiring to bypass flap/throttle body or throttle body or air leak. Have you smoke tested it?

At what revs Alex would it bog down, it does feel that's what happens when it get to around 4000.
A few years ago when Janet was driving she said the car won't go, it just slowed down to 20mph, she said her foot was flat on the throttle. It then started to speed up to 50 but would not go any faster then slowed again to walking speed and the eml came on. She stopped, turned off the ignition, restarted it, eml went out and the car drove off. The ecu has been removed on different occasions and sent away to two different repair places and they have found no faults. The wiring to the ecu you repaired. We thought the corrosion had come back, so purchased the wiring from MB to replaced the old, sent the car to my local MB man who informed me there was no corrosion on any of the terminals and couldn't find any issues. They also checked for head gasket leakage. You did say when I sent you the fault code it could be the connections at the recirculation flap, ie bad connection or damage to the wiring under the intake/supercharger.
The fault on the scanner only has come up twice on any of the scans. Exhaust Recirculation Flap.
We will get to the bottom of this Alex ;)
I've sorted the valve blocks and next, off with the supercharger, hopefully it's poor wiring that will be a cheap fix.
I think we have done just about everything else on the 55 :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At what revs Alex would it bog down, it does feel that's what happens when it get to around 4000.
A few years ago when Janet was driving she she the car won't go, it just slowed down to 20mph, she said her foot was flat on the throttle. It then started to speed up to 50 but would go any faster then slowed again to walking speed and the eml came on. She stopped, turned off the ignition, restarted it, eml went out and the car drove off. The ecu has been removed and sent away to two different repair places and they have found no faults. The wiring to the ecu you repaired. We thought dome corrosion had come back, so purchased the wiring from MB to replaced the old, sent the car to my local MB man who informed me there was no corrosion on any of the terminals and couldn't find any issues. They also checked for head gasket leakage. You did say when I sent you the fault code it could be the connections at the recirculation flap, ie bad connection or damage to the wiring under the intake/supercharger.
The fault on the scanner only has come up twice on any of the scans. Exhaust Recirculation Flap.
We will get to the bottom of this Alex ;)
I've sorted the valve blocks and next, off with the supercharger, hopefully it's poor wiring that will be a cheap fix.
I think we have done just about everything else on the 55 :)
Best to start another thread on this, its going a bit OT!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, as always :) Beat me to it.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom