1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picked up the Mercedes-Benz A169. But?

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Mike-Carter, May 21, 2020.

1. Mike-Carter

Mike-Carter Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    W169
    IMG_20200520_213059.jpg IMG_20200520_213106.jpg Went over the pennines yesterday and picked up the A-Class. Done all the paperwork and drove home.

The drive home was compliant, quiet if not rewarding and acceleration was a tad better than my Mirage, however, I dunno who designed the interior, particularly the handbrake lever, never a problem in any other car I've owned but it seems you need to stretch back unnaturally to use the damned thing. needs Clint Eastwoods Clyde the orangutan.
    I guess I'll get accustomed to it.
    Tried to figure out how to connet the 3.5mm Jack plug socket to my phone to play music, cannot find any answer in AUX, just disc.

Another puzzling thing, in the boot offsidethere's a storage area where I believe a First Aid kit should be bit I have what appears to be a battery installed. Anybody have an idea what it is please?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. David Richardson

David Richardson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W176 Blue Eff CY Sport CDI & C Class Coupe 2002 220CDI
    David (GLK) will be the person most likely to help you on this one, he quite the knowledge on W169's.
    For my two penneth it looks like an auxiliary battery for something

GLK and Mike-Carter like this.
  3. bembo449

bembo449 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    w221 320cdi , r170 230k , land rover discovery 3 , insignia vxr , shitron dispatch
    Always amazes me that folk by a car and then find something they dont like about it

4. OP
    Mike-Carter

Your Mercedes:
    W169
    That's because most folk are humans, comments like this are not helpful just antagonistic.
    Try to be more positive in a response. I have no idea how long you've been driving but I've been driving for 44 years and know that you cannot get a true understanding of a vehicle on a 10 mile test drive.

Botus likes this.
  5. OP
    Mike-Carter

Your Mercedes:
    W169
    Hi David, thanks for your response, yes it does seem to be some sort of auxiliary battery but for what I have no idea.

6. McDonald

McDonald Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2004
    Welcome Mike, all new vehicles take a bit of getting used to. I imagine the auxiliary battery runs the consumer electronics, but someone with knowledge will post answers, I'm sure. Jack sockets sometimes lurk in the sidewall of the glovebox, but I don't know about your car.

Hope you enjoy your Mercedes.

Mike-Carter likes this.
  7. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    probably auxiliary battery for stop/start but I've little knowledge of this model sorry...

Mike-Carter likes this.
  8. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A200 Avantgarde Special Edition Sports Coupé • C169
    That's exactly what it is - auxiliary battery for ECO Start/Stop function. Don't have one in my car, as these only appeared for the first time in 169 / 245 cars after the 2008-2009 facelift.

One thing that storage section is missing is a back - unless it's absent in the facelift, because of the battery?
    Someone with newer car will help, I'm sure.

The first aid kit is on the left ;) behind the plastic cross holder, on top of the power socket:

[​IMG]

Mike-Carter and LostKiwi like this.
  9. OP
    Mike-Carter

Your Mercedes:
    W169
    Thanks pal, very good of you.