Pirelli P6000 - Yes or No

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic190

Reaction score
I am thinking of fitted a complete set of Pirelli P6000 Tyres to my 1988 190 20ltr Manual.

Has anyone out there had these and if so what are your comments as far as handling, road noise and comfort are concerned.

If ther are any other suggestions for a worthy tyre these would also be appreciated.

Classic 190.

ant500sl

Reaction score
Have driven several cars kitted out with P6000's. Absolutely no problems at all in my experience. A few years ago they were regarded as a high performance tyre so I would happily fit them to just about anything. Currently have a set on a BMW 740 (variety is the spice of life) which have plenty of life in them at the 20,000 mile mark.

For some reason at the moment they also seem to be very good value, perhaps they're being discontinued.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I have been using Pirelli P6000 since I first changed the tyres. The original Michelins did not inspire confidence in the wet, scared me a few times, back end broke away. Never happened with the Pirellis. Have 42k on front tyres changed 23k, 46k car now at 89k [probably another 3 k left on them] and rears were changed at 23k, 46k, 76k. Good all round tyres. Watch air pressures as keep an eye on them, affects performance.

OP
C

classic190

Reaction score
Pirelle P6000

Thanks for the advice and comments so far people! 8)

peterchurch

Reaction score
Hi,
I do hope you have not fitted them yet but NOOOOOOOOO!

I had a volvo s70 T5 with P6000s on, and on country lanes and bumpy roads they suck (at the time I put this down to the car/roads)
but then, I put some on an MR2 mkIII that I was selling and they ruined the car (at least for handling purposes...) I like the continentals that I have now though...

ant500sl

Reaction score
Must admit that I too like continentals, I have a set on the SL. Much more of a sporty type of tyre. However I am guessing that for a 190 a more general purpose tyre would suit which the P6000s seem to be. If I remember when they first came out they were very keen on advertising the performance of the tyre in the wet, which seems to be better than average in my experience - very useful at this time of year.

Good point from OlafMaxwell regarding the air pressures, if they are allowed to drop the fronts tend to wear down the shoulders of the tyre at an alarming rate, probably due to the profile of the tread. Not a problem if they are correctly inflated though, as I am sure we all check our tyres before every journey :wink: .

mikemoss

Reaction score
Still on the original set of P6000s at 50,000 miles and no complaints - but then I've nothing to compare them against. Always used to rate Michelins but maybe things have moved on over the years.

peterchurch

Reaction score
The problem I have with the P6000s is that they almost killed me on a bend that I would have taken 20/30 miles faster on Bridgestones...

In my opinion A merc is a heavy car to lose without warning :(

flyingtech55

Reaction score
Website
www.bordersgliding.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320 (R170)
Hi all

I use Uniroyal rain tyres on both the Merc 190 and the Spitfire. They are the directional ones that you have to be put on the correct side of the car. I find them great in the wet and the ride, noise and wear rate seem good to me. They made a teriffic difference to the Spitfire especially as it would change ends on you in the wet with great alacrity on the previous (average quality) tyres; roundabouts were a bit of a nightmare.

You really have to stomp on the Merc's throttle to get the back end out now if you want to.

Gliderman

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
What a fascinating site the chris-longhurst site is!
There is even an auto calculator to show the effect on indicated mph of changing tyre size

Thanks ant500sl

Joseph

Reaction score
I always used Continental tyres. They are much lighter than most and lower weel mass works wonders with ride confort. Example light alloys and Conti tyres.

Then I bought an Alfa 156 which had P6000. I immediatly replaced them with Continental Sport. But I learned a lesson and soon went to get my Pirelli back.

You see the Sport contact had better grip around corners if you want to drive at the upper limits. But the Pirelli excelled in all other areas and the car behaved so much more predictably with the Pirellis.

I then changed the once on my 190 2.5 Diesel - And the same thing happened + The 190 is now a pleasure to drive, slow or fast, straight or around bends. It was always a good car and predictable and safe around bends. But the P6000 really made it feel better.

I suppose the 6000 are tyres that are best overall in all areas.

Do not ask me why though.

peterchurch

Reaction score
Joseph said:
You see the Sport contact had better grip around corners if you want to drive at the upper limits. But the Pirelli excelled in all other areas and the car behaved so much more predictably with the Pirellis.

I then changed the once on my 190 2.5 Diesel - And the same thing happened + The 190 is now a pleasure to drive, slow or fast, straight or around bends. It was always a good car and predictable and safe around bends. But the P6000 really made it feel better.

I suppose the 6000 are tyres that are best overall in all areas.

Out of interest how much of your time do spend dirving in wet conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom