Plz help !c220d only starts with a full tank!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Are the tanks balancing correctly? Your not ending up with one side empty at a half indicated tank?

They have issues with hp pumps that stop returning leak off. Without enough leak off the tank won't balance.

Easy to check by running the car with the return line disconnected so you can check the flow.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Had both senders out and a proper look,all looks spot on.No leaks anywhere,I think the actual fuel pump may be at fault ,although this was replaced with a recon unit from ecp last year.

I have a known good unit on my shelf you are welcome to borrow if you aren’t too far away...

I bet you’re Scotland or summat ;)

OP
Ossymechanic

Ossymechanic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2003
Awww thanks pal,I'm in Lancashire . Yes I had the issue last year when the offside of the tanks emptied and the nearside was brimmed full of fuel. That was indeed the fuel pump affecting the venturi system (which is witchcraft lol ) never did get my head round that but a refurb pump sorted it lol... I am now suspecting the seals in the pump .... it had cranking issues earlier this year with a worn ring gear and I'm thinking it may of worn the pump out prematurely. I wouldn't ordinarily mess with such a old car but I have a bit of a soft spot for it lol,its now my brothers car and I used to own it.Now has 200k on and I think she deserves to be saved. Not that my brother gives a sxxt .... well made car that drives lovely,just can't throw it away.It's not a ford or a vauxhall lol.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Try parking facing downhill overnight. If it starts fine the next morning that would indicate air ingress in the engine bay section of the fuel delivery lines.
Presumably you've changed the fuel filter and checked it out for weeps?
One trick that sometimes helps to locate air ingress is to liberally cover each joint in grease, then remove the grease joint by joint at each cold start.

OP
Ossymechanic

Ossymechanic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2003
Did a leak off test of the injectors and number 4 is spewing diesel out and number 1 ain't far behind it...explains the fuel return to tank :-(..

OP
Ossymechanic

Ossymechanic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2003
Also it's looking like the tank will need cleaning out to prevent further damage .

Top Bottom