Police Mercedes Sprinter Vans..

Stevo123

Reaction score
Website
www.vansandtrucks.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I have an 50 year old Mercedes 220 S
Can anyone tell me why the police sprinter vans seem taller and have eight wheels where there is normally four?... I imagine its something to do with extra speed and protection...

Last edited:

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
I'm no expert so someone will surely come along and correct me but I would say it's for the following reasons:

They are 'hign top' vans because they transport multiple people - be it police or prisoners.

The rear axle has twin rear wheels (2 per side) for safety standard reasons as they transport multiple passengers.

The more passengers - the more likelyhood of rolling over.

When vans are fully loaded, single wheels do not provide adequate rear traction to perform emergency steering maneuvers without fishtailing.

A sharp 180-degree turn is expected behavior in driving in an emergency.

Dual wheels in the rear would greatly improve traction and prevent fishtailing during such maneuvers, as well as offer the safety rof an extra tyre on each side so that sudden failure of one tyre is less likely to cause loss of control.

Also - I imagine it helps support the weight of the multiple passengers not to mention the increased vehicle weight of vans that contain heavy duty 'prisoner cages' in the rear.

mister_cee333

Reaction score
I think the police Sprinters are over 3 and a half tons gross weight hence the twin wheel rear axle.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Yes when I bought a sprinter a few years ago double rear axle meant gross weight was higher (over 3.5T) but this means you are on tacho - a real pia.
Of course the police will adhere strictly to the tacho laws I am sure!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
Of course the police will adhere strictly to the tacho laws I am sure!

They don't need to. Like gritter men the laws have the odd allowance for people who have to provide emergency services. No Tacho in fire engines for example.

si.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Srinter LWB 311cdi, Mini Cooper s, Corsa sxi
police sprinters overweight

hi, uve been descussing the police sprinters being 4.6t twin axal etc. I went to have a look at a ex police van which was being sold for spares because i was thinking of buying the windows in the sliding door + the one opposite and when i asked the guy why has someone fitted a single axal to it he said he had tried to get the van under 3.5t because he passed his test after 1/8/1998 so the max he could drive is a 3.5t sprinter. I said why bother if you can just buy a 3.5t sprinter and he agreed 100% because although he put a single axal on the back he couldn't get the van to weigh under 3.5t. The van still had some of the caging in the back and the sheild above the window screen etc. So by my reckoning the sprinters weigh about 3.8t-3.9t empty and are driving around well overweight by the time the 8+ coppers inc riot gear and cameras etc are inside. probley be looking at 5 ton +
I thought they drove around slow watching peoples behaviour but now i know its because they're over weight:mad:
Another example of the law not following the law.

mister_cee333

Reaction score
The 3.5 tons is the vehicle gross weight ie the weight of the van and it's maximum permissible load. An unladen 3.5t Sprinter weighs about 2 tons. If you throw in some caging etc and a few coppers it might be getting close to its 3.5 ton weight so thats probably why they go for the 4.5 tonners. They have no requirements for tachos or speed limiters.

Axles are designed/allowed to carry a certain amount of weight, so changing one axle on a 4.5 ton gross van might not bring the gross weight down to under 3.5 tons - even though the unladen weight would probably drop a bit. AFAIK you would need to get a van re-plated (ie inspected and declared by authorities) if you changed the specification and therefore the gross weight.

If you passed your test after 1997 you can only drive up to 3.5 tons gross weight without sitting your category C1 test. C1 is for vehicles between 3.5 - 7.5 tons gross, and used to be granted automatically to car license holders after reaching age 18.

dava

Reaction score
To throw some more light on this, they are exempt vehilces, so they do not need an MOT, allthough they do get them done but only to class four, even though they weigh up to 5 tonne, this applies to many crown vehilces and they dont need tacho's, there exempt, they are not taxed, also exempt, allthough they display one, check the fee, it says 0.00. To qualify for exemption they must have blue lights sirens and markings saying Police, Ambulance, Fire etc. It also applies to many community vehicles. Now your thinking unmarked Police cars, there another beast, they have up to 6 number plates asigned to them, commonly know as ghost plates as many goverment vehicles also have, oh and by the way there exempt! Thats why the ****** road tax is so much! You could also look t diplomats cars, there even exempt from parking fees!

Bet this opens a can of worms.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Ah - (6 number plates assigned) - that's why all those ****** unmarked Range Rovers on the M6 (in Lancs) are probably one and the same.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
To throw some more light on this, they are exempt vehilces, so they do not need an MOT, allthough they do get them done but only to class four, even though they weigh up to 5 tonne, this applies to many crown vehilces and they dont need tacho's, there exempt, they are not taxed, also exempt, allthough they display one, check the fee, it says 0.00. To qualify for exemption they must have blue lights sirens and markings saying Police, Ambulance, Fire etc. It also applies to many community vehicles. Now your thinking unmarked Police cars, there another beast, they have up to 6 number plates asigned to them, commonly know as ghost plates as many goverment vehicles also have, oh and by the way there exempt! Thats why the ****** road tax is so much! You could also look t diplomats cars, there even exempt from parking fees!

Bet this opens a can of worms.

And don't forget the Poles, Romanians, Lithuanians etc - they are exempt as well :rolleyes: And exempt from car insurance too, no doubt. Oh, and driving licences too :shock:

J4son

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
416 ex police lwb reg 56
My 416 ex riot van with twin wheels weighs 5 ton empty !!
And I mean empty, I’ve taken 5 of the 11 seats out as well.
Where is the weight ??
Are they armoured in any on ace, I’ve had many ideas of people, the floor been the most popular guess.
Anyone on here know where if if I can reduce weight
Any help greatly appreciated

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My 416 ex riot van with twin wheels weighs 5 ton empty !!
And I mean empty, I’ve taken 5 of the 11 seats out as well.
Where is the weight ??
Are they armoured in any on ace, I’ve had many ideas of people, the floor been the most popular guess.
Anyone on here know where if if I can reduce weight
Any help greatly appreciated
Hello and welcome,

Not armoured but can have extra AC

Below is an ex-Merseyside Police riot van 516 and weighs in at just less than 5T after conversion to Motorhome
1664102488586.jpeg

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom