Poly Belt Replacement

wingco

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to do this on a W210 320 cdi? (got the new belt)

Many thanks.

hmang

Reaction score
it's a bit of a fiddle 'cos the rad is so close.

to avoid removing the rad to provide access you should remove the plastic shroud around the fan...this is still a fiddle but it will come out.

careful not to damage the rad fins
will pay to loosen the rad mounts to give a little movement.

make a good note of the belt routing... draw it on a bit of paper

release the tension on the tensioner ...feel under the wheel ...there is a boss that will fit a bi-hex socket ( 17 mm if i remember ..could be 16)

slip old belt off with tension released

not much room down there but it is now poss to change the belt

just be patient with it

Stevie A

Reaction score
Then (if its the same as other Mercs) you need to slacken off the adjuster, put the belt on, tighten adjuster until belt tightens up, then finally tighten main 17mm tensioner bolt. Don't over tighten the adjuster or you'll snap it. Feel the play on the belt before you take the old one off and tighten the new one up to the same play.

D3AN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180 Esprit
that upload went well :)

Attachments

• 320e.jpg
    320e.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 71
OP
W

wingco

Reaction score
Now you have me worried

Changed the belt this afternoon, and followed hmang's instructions which were spot on (thanks).

When I released the tension on the belt I just moved the 17mm nut anti-clockwise as instructed. I didn't undo any nuts on the tensioner. When I got the belt off I released the tensioner (slowly) and it moved over to the far right under its own spring pressure. Put the new belt on, and again moved the tensioner to the left. Slipped the belt over the tensioner, and gently released the tensioner which took up all the slack in the belt. Didn't tighten or re-tighten any nuts, or check play in the belt. I assumed that this tensioner just relies on the spring pressure to keep it in contact with the belt. Ran the engine and drove the car, everything seems OK.

Just had a look at the Haynes book of lies for my old C250TD and the tensioner is a completely different arrangement (with a big bolt and spring attached to the top of the engine). The C250 does not refer to nuts being re-tightened or checking play in the belt, so I assume this tensioner also relies on spring pressure to take up the slack in the belt.

Anybody got the answer?

D3AN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180 Esprit
Thats right, it's a spring tensioner (auto adjusting) nothing to undu or tighten.

Glad it went ok for you.

OP
W

wingco

Reaction score
Thanks

D3AN

Thanks for that, puts my mind at rest. And thanks for the belt diagram.

Stevie A

Are you thinking of another type of engine/tensioner?

Stevie A

Reaction score
Yeah my car has the bolt and adjuster type where you have to set the tension yourself. Apologies for any confusion. I presumed they were all the same.

That's a new thing I've learned.

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
190e = Petrol engine?

320 CDI = Diesel engine?

Top Bottom