Possible faulty thermostat

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
Well it seems like this is the month for things that need replacing on my car (2012 c220 cdi)
Over the last few days I’ve noticed the temp gauge doing some strange things. It warms up as normal, takes about 10 mins to hit 80deg, but it then begins to drop once it gets there. It then fluctuates between 70 and 80 depending on the load put on the engine (eg, driving up or downhill) for a further 15 mins or so until it eventually gets up to 90, where it stays.
It’s never done this before, always used to gradually increase up to 90..
It’s almost as if once the temp hits 80 deg the stat opens fully rather than gradually opening.. does this sound plausible, or could it be a faulty sensor?

TIA
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
Cheers guys. I’ve seen YouTube vid of someone changing the stat and it looks well easy. Mounted at the top of the head too, so no need to drain the system and probably won’t actually lose too much coolant.
GSF list one at £87, so not as cheap as I’d hoped. Any idea if OEM part from a dealer is similarly priced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom