Potential battery issue

Funkyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 14 plate
Hi All,

Last few weeks I've been getting a few weird things happening when first starting car. Sounds like slightly struggling to start for micro second other things I've noticed screen went off them straight back on and this morning horn sounded when starting? It's a 14 plate E250 on 78k. I've had the car since it was 18 mths old so battery is original. Is there a way to test the battery to rule this in or out? Thanks

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Yes, get the battery tested, but first I’d make sure it’s fully charged. Many members on this forum recommend the use of a battery charger/maintainer such as a CTek or similar, check the many threads on the subject

Batteries can be tested by a couple of ways. Either by connection to a load tester (puts a big load across the battery and sees how it fairs) or a Conductive Tester which measures the capacitance of the battery plugging in the relevant battery specs.

Only thing I would add is that tests and test equipment are usually carried out by vendors who are more than likely to want to sell you a new battery! The better tyre and battery centres should have the required testing kit And may charge for this service if you don’t buy a new battery from them.

If the battery is more than 5yrs old, probably better to replace it, if anything for the convenience of knowing that it is new and healthy.

If you can change and refit yourself try either Tayna Batteries web-site for idea of cost or the MB Grangemouth? For a quote on new price.

This cold weather plays havoc of Lead Acid batteries. May sure you replace like for like (Normal Pb acid/AGm etc).

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
In my simple brain, you only need to know two things.

1. Does the battery charge,
and
2 Does it hold a charge.

Both can be tested with a £10 multimeter, set to the DC volts range

I am not sure expensive test and diagnostic equipment is really necessary,

To save faffing around, just replace it. It is now 10 years old, and due for replacement anyway.

For what it costs, it will be the best £100 you ever spend on the car.

Malcolm Johnson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
Last year replaced all four across both cars, S was 11 years old on drive , SL was 17 years garaged. Although meter said OK. It was noticeable when new batteries fitted. It was a case of night and day.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Also not all new batteries are great. Stick with Bosch S5 or Varta Silver and use Tanya Batteires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
We replaced our 12 year old battery last year. No real symptoms of failure except that starting seemed a little slow. New battery was a noticeable improvement. Beats possibly being stranded on a freezing morning...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I assume my 14 plate ML is still on its original battery .... can't see it as it lives under my seat. When I checked its voltage a few months back it was a little on the low side though I've never had any starting problems

Reactions: DSK

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes batteries can be tested easily
I have one of these.
MOTOPOWER MP0515A 12V Car Battery Tester Automotive 100-2000 CCA Battery Load Tester Auto Cranking and Charging System Test Scan Tool Digital Battery Alternator Analyzer https://amzn.eu/d/7i1xUMC

Very useful bit of kit as if you test the battery before each winter you can be reasonably sure the battery won't let you down on a cold winter morning.

There are cheaper options like this but I have no experience of them but it does get good reviews.

TopDiag BT200 Pro Car Battery Tester, 12V 24V Load Tester, 100-2000 CCA Automotive Charging Cranking System Tester Digital Auto Battery Analyzer for Car Truck Motorcycle SUV Boat (BT200 Pro) https://amzn.eu/d/3J1MyjR

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Lidl have battery and alternator testers on sale in the middle aisle at the moment

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I assume my 14 plate ML is still on its original battery .... can't see it as it lives under my seat. When I checked its voltage a few months back it was a little on the low side though I've never had any starting problems

I had a varta on my w221, alway started with telepathy like power. It read 12.2v after firing the car right up and then being run for a while. New MB battery (varta label) fitted and the car always starts much more slowly. Even though this new MB battery is weeks old and reads ok, I’m junking it and getting another Varta silver from Tanya.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It Tayna not Tanya

You are right! I never spotted that! I remember someone donkeys years ago saying look up Tanya batteries, it worked on Google as the first result and Tanya has stuck ever since lol.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom