Pothole damaged my suspension

Reaction score
I recently drove my 1984 Merc 230CE over a large pothole on a main road in London and a few mins later noticed a terrible cranking noise near front passenger wheel area when I drove over a bump. The noise only happens when I go over a bump now or speed bump, sleeping policeman. No noise on the flat road. It never used to make this noise. My mechanic says I need two new front road springs on the suspension costing £350.

Can I sue the council or will they say it's wear and tear on such an old car?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That sounds a little expensive to me for that car :shock:

It is very hard getting money out of councils

davoC220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 C220 diesel elegance
what you need to do is get a pic of the offending pothole, submit a claim to the council and they have 48 hours to repair the road in question, Malcolm is reight tho, its hard getting money out of them, try it and see what happens tho, they might cough up 50%, always better than nothing, i used to do it when i did private hire years ago and the council paid up no probs, think they paid for most of the suspension on my cavalier, granted the car was only 18 months old at the time

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. My suspension was fine before I hit the pothole so I'll see how to go with the council.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks. My suspension was fine before I hit the pothole so I'll see how to go with the council.

They will tell you that the road was inspected under 4 weeks ago and it was fine then

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Last week Cheshire saw a major road accident which it is believed to be the result of a major pot hole destabilizing the car as it passed over it, the car veered into a centre line bollard and then overturned into the surounding trees. 3 died, 1 survived with serious injuries.

Report all potholes to the local authority, this is something which needs urgent action.

Most councils do not act untill somebody falls and hurts themselves.
Incredibly some councils are leaving pot holes since they act as zero cost speed humps.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Last week Cheshire saw a major road accident which it is believed to be the result of a major pot hole destabilizing the car as it passed over it, the car veered into a centre line bollard and then overturned into the surounding trees. 3 died, 1 survived with serious injuries.

Report all potholes to the local authority, this is something which needs urgent action.

Most councils do not act untill somebody falls and hurts themselves.
Incredibly some councils are leaving pot holes since they act as zero cost speed humps.

Wireman's right - it was about a mile from me. Interestingly, the next day, whilst emergency services were still doing analysis, the council came and filled the pot-hole in. Horse, barn-door, bolted!

The roads around here (Wirral) are atrocious and they claim it is lack of money yet they recently found £185,000 to build 2 hard-standings for the speed camera vans to sit in.

Dave

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom