Quick questions from a new W124/E320 owner

124coupe

Reaction score
Questions:
where do you get your ATF at a reasonable price?
how to fix abrupt "lift off" from a standing start?
where is the diagnostic socket on this car (expected circular one but can't see it)?

I'm new to the forum and been lurking/reading - great info on here!

Local Merc dealer wants £8-99 per litre and the local independent wants £5-99 per litre.

Where do you guys get your fluid, what brand/type do you use and how much do you pay?

Car is a W124 E320 Coupe with the 4-speed auto (S & E switch) and due for the 36,000 mile auto oil and filter change (its done 108,000 miles total).

re the "lift off", the car is difficult to start off from a standstill without causing whiplash - Throttle seems to stick and then whoosh!

I plan to clean up and then adjust the (filthy) throttle linkage and lube the accelerator pedal and cable - anything else this might be? (changes on the move are fine and the box is quick into first and reverse from park).

Previous owner was ill so the car sat still for a year....changed all the rest of the fluids/plugs/air filter/fuel filter/cleaned up the brakes and ran some injector cleaner through and all seems fine - passed MOT with no issues.

Not bad for £3,000...

Thanks,

Steve

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Steve

Great car - very much enjoyed mine for last 3.5 years - now done 149,000.

I am a believer in all parts and liquids from Merc dealer and do all my own work.

I have cultivated a relationship and get a good discount via the officially recognised UK Merc club -discount card.

The throttle is always firm but the linkage in engine compartment needs oiling as a service item.

Mine starts in second gear as designed, and can easily spin wheels.

Are you sure your's does not start in second ?

Where are you located, would be good to meet up and compare notes ?

Regards

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

I agree with the MB fluids and parts. As for setting off, have you an 'S' & 'W' switch by the gear lever? 'W' should start in 2nd and change up later to counteract wheelspin in winter. 'S' should set off in 1st and hold onto gears longer.

74merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Sport Estate
I aslo bought an E320 coupe recently. I was worried about the fuel consumption but a 80 mph dash across Wales to the ferry returned 30 mpg. That's a few mpg better than my manual 190e 2.5-16.

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
I'm near Redditch, Worcs.

The gearbox has S & E settings so starts off in 2nd either way (unless the accelerator is buried in the carpet).

Just removed a stack of crud from the linkage and it's better now.

Looks like I might as well get Merc to do the ATF swap - quoted £91 inc VAT to swap fluid and filter with a new pan gasket - less than £20 more than the parts & fluid quote - hardly worth getting dirty for.

Does this model have the diag plug with the LED? If so, where is it?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
74merc said:
I aslo bought an E320 coupe recently. I was worried about the fuel consumption but a 80 mph dash across Wales to the ferry returned 30 mpg. That's a few mpg better than my manual 190e 2.5-16.

If you were heading for the Hollyhead Ferry I would seriously watch out for Richard Bergstroms "Arrive Alive" vans on the A55. Points mean prizes and all that. Not that I'm one to talk, spent last weekend riding around Wales on my CBR :p

Last edited:
OP

124coupe

Reaction score
OK so I have found what I presume is the diag socket - 16 pin (1,6,8,10,12,16 connected) in front of the brake fluid reservoir.

I have made a reader from bits at Maplin but how do I translate pins to areas of the car and then where do I look up the codes?

(tried searches but most hits seem to be for the round connector which my car doesn't have).

There is no LED or pushbutton on this car.

MDMB69

Reaction score
I had a nightmare of a time by going for a cheaper ATF that match OE spec on my E280 W124
The box just wouldn't change correctly after. So I drained it all and used the correct Merc fluid at £9 a litre and it was as smooth as anything afterwrds.

I'm interested how you made your code reader, I've been using a simple 12v test bulb but its not that accurate. I have diagrams on how to make one but it'd be useful if you could tell me exactly which parts you bought from Maplins.

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
re the reader:

Three 4mm banana plugs (L20BH/L23BH/L25BH) 3 x 52p
12v red LED (saves the resistor) CJ66W 20p
Wire if you need it BL00A 99p
Case SC78K £1-29
Switch FG45Y £1-69

Total £5-73 if you need it all (I had the case and switch from a previous "bargain bag").

I didn't use a fuse as the 12v terminal is fused already.

Run the red Banana to the +ve on the LED (test the LED with a 9v battery to see which way round it is).
Run the LED negative to both the yellow Banana and one side of the switch.
Run the other side of the switch to the black Banana.

I mounted the switch in the short side and the LED on the long side - sits in the hand with the switch under your thumb.

Done!

turnipsock

Reaction score
The throttle linkage is not the best, there are a load of parts involved and it just takes one stiff part to mess it up. It would probably be OK when new though.

I replaced a damaged cable and cleaned up as many joints that I could get to. It's a lot better but I still rip up the gravel sometimes.

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
I ended up using Gunk and a plant sprayer about 6 times to get the linkage looking clean and then lubed with ATF. My car doesn't have ASR so should make the tyres last longer and remove the boy racer image.

Strange how a smooth throttle makes the whole car feel better to drive.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Throttle cable

A new throttle cable makes a big difference too. About £15 from a dealer. Surprisingly easy to fit, too

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP

124coupe

Reaction score
For my car, with the 4-speed box, rated capacity is 6.2litres - I needed almost exactly 6 to the full mark after the change.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom