Never so far had to locate and change a fuse on my SL500 but tonight -

1:No illumination lights in dash / central console
2: drivers rear tail light
3: 3rd brake light boot mounted

where should I start please?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There's a fuse box behind the trim next to the right side boot hinge. There's another under the bonnet by the drivers side bonnet hinge. That's it on mine but yours is later and may be different.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I would treat them as three problems.

Your fuse boxes should be as LK has said, same as mine (1998, 068)

There should be a fuse list in the lid of the fuse box in the engine bay, drivers side.

Third brake light. Do the other brake lights come on ? Possible broken lead in cables from car to boot lid, by right hand hinge.

Rear light, does the other one work, could be a lamp.

I will have a look for the fuse locations later this morning and post them on here for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
I would treat them as three problems.

Your fuse boxes should be as LK has said, same as mine (1998, 068)

There should be a fuse list in the lid of the fuse box in the engine bay, drivers side.

Third brake light. Do the other brake lights come on ? Possible broken lead in cables from car to boot lid, by right hand hinge.

Rear light, does the other one work, could be a lamp.

I will have a look for the fuse locations later this morning and post them on here for you.

Thank you

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The fuse box in the boot is here, at the top right is the flexible conduit that protects the cable to the third brake light, mine was broken inside this IMG_5516.jpg
The engine fuse box and fuse list Adjustments.jpg
IMG_5519.jpg
As you can see, there is no one fuse for the dash illumination, perhaps the dimmer switch for it ?

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
Thank you that is really helpful and I have work today on the old girl to fix the electrics (the cable for the 3rd brake light might need more professional skills than I currently have).
I owe you a drink when we meet up at Beaulieu 23rd August

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I can't remember what year your car is but mine has the old 'Euro' fuses - bullet shaped with conical ends and a strip of metal mounted from end to end. If yours uses these they are known to cause problems, particularly if they are of the aluminium type as opposed to brass. Brass ones are available from boat chandlers.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having another look at this, the illumination could be fuse 16, worth a quick check as suspect you would notice cruise control or the radio not working.
The conduit for the boot lid just pulls out of its bracket giving access to the cables within. Just give each a small tug and see if one pulls out, ie broken. Did the other brake lights work ?.

Be nicer to catch up at Beaulieu. Might bring my 129 ?

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
Having another look at this, the illumination could be fuse 16, worth a quick check as suspect you would notice cruise control or the radio not working.
The conduit for the boot lid just pulls out of its bracket giving access to the cables within. Just give each a small tug and see if one pulls out, ie broken. Did the other brake lights work ?.

Be nicer to catch up at Beaulieu. Might bring my 129 ?

Had a manic work day so the SL has had to wait but hopefully I can get to it tomorrow and start the investigations - weirdly I have had 3 different bulbs go in the last week plus a diagnosis of a rewire needed on the front sidelight as the plastic covering of the bulb connector has become fragile and broken.
Yes def bring your R129 to Beaulieu

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Depending how things pan out I might even bring mine, but the weekend before I'll have driven it back from the south of France...

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
Electrics update - 75% fixed hopefully, main problem was a poor earth on front side headlight which blew a fuse or 2 (might need to look for a new headlight as the wiring is ok now but......).

Final fix - need to find the wiring diagram for the AC head unit as just behind it the illumination bulb isn’t getting any volts - any ideas where I can find the wiring diagram please?

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the poor Earth has been fixed then that should be okay, (just a bit of good wire) so shouldn’t need to buy a new headlamp unit.

Have no diagrams for the ac lighting though.
Did you have the car lights on as it may not illuminate until they are on, switch made, or are you referring to the led display ??

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
If the poor Earth has been fixed then that should be okay, (just a bit of good wire) so shouldn’t need to buy a new headlamp unit.

Have no diagrams for the ac lighting though.
Did you have the car lights on as it may not illuminate until they are on, switch made, or are you referring to the led display ??

Thank you - it’s not illuminated at night when the lights are on, the LED display is working fine and in fact it’s a new head unit from 12 months ago so thinking it’s the voltage to the very small orange bulb light at the back of the unit I guess?

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess that you have tried a known working lamp in the socket.

Sorry, not being much help really.

OP
Inglewood

Inglewood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now enjoying my R129
I guess that you have tried a known working lamp in the socket.

Sorry, not being much help really.

You’re being a great help and thank you for everything so far. One day I might get to know close to what others on the MB Owners site about their own SL R129 and I could help other newbie R129 owners with what I now know etc.
Will run her now for a few weeks before Beaulieu and hopefully things will sort themselves out

Top Bottom