R129 nearside wing mirror instruction/diagram needed

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350; R231 SL400 (SOLD), W211 E320 CDi Estate (SOLD), R129 Brabus SL500 (should not have SOLD)
Hi,

I stupidly clipped my nearside wing mirror (R129 facelift oval shaped mirror) on a pipe in the garage.

It now folds in but does not fold out, so I have obviously either snapped or dislodged part of the linkage.

Does anyone have a removal and refitting instruction/diagram please?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you tried folding the mirror out all the way till it clicks and in till it clicks.

If this does not work, press the glass in at the bottom, unhook the wire spring that runs along the top, the glass will now lift out from the hooks in the bottom. Now undo the 4 screws and the case is off

OP
G

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350; R231 SL400 (SOLD), W211 E320 CDi Estate (SOLD), R129 Brabus SL500 (should not have SOLD)
Thanks TV. As ever, you had the right answer so no dismantling needed and all is good again.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
They are designed to disengage from the power mechanism if hit. They normally just need to be opened fully and sometimes need a gentle nudge to re-engage everything. Its the same for all MB electric folding mirrors.
Those Germans think of everything! :D

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
If you can't get the mechanism to reattach then it's possible that the motor housing has cracked (it did this on mine after the paperboy fell against it!).

Although I didn't detail how to repair the housing (which is possible with some resin putty), I did post up a thread on how to dismantle the mirror on a W215, which I think uses the same mirror mechanism.

I don't think that my thread made it into the DIY section as there is a similar one for w W203.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom