R170 SLK 230 Steering wheel options !!!

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi to you all out there. My question is simple - Is there an option available anywhere for a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel that complies with the Airbag legislation for the R170 SLK range.

My 2001 BMW 330i Automatic has a 14.5" diameter wheel and the SLK wheel albeit only about half an inch bigger looks and feels like that of a bus.

The absence of a tilt mechanism does not help matters either !!

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi to you all again. Well I have found a solution to my rather odd request which will not only give me slightly reduced diameter steering wheel but will actual give me a slight flattening (7mm) of the top and bottom profiles.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi to you all again. Well I have found a solution to my rather odd request which will not only give me slightly reduced diameter steering wheel but will actual give me a slight flattening (7mm) of the top and bottom profiles.
Would that be having it reworked by Jack at Royal?

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Lost Kiwi and to you all out there. Further to my post above of the 3rd October 2019.
I have resolved the question that I put out to the forum in the section headed ''Suspension, Steering & Brakes' but got no response to.
I had been informed that I had posted in an incorrect section of the forum !!! I am puzzled because the Steering Wheel is surely linked to STEERING is it not ?? There was no indication as to where it had been moved to.

The answer to my question was YES and the Pre Facelift steering wheel is a perfect swap for the Facelift steering wheel with the horn connections being able to be connected and fully functional.

The Pre Facelift wheel has gone out to Royal Steering Wheels in Stoke Mandeville for a slight remodelling exercise.
The Facelift Steering Wheel gave me the impression that I was driving a bus instead of a small roadster/sports car.

I believe that it is simply an optical illusion created by the lack of rake adjustment and a slightly overbearing Airbag.
The Airbag on the Pre Facelift Steering Wheel being of slightly overall smaller proportions does not create that same illusion in my humble opinion.

The wheel will be returned in approximately 10-14 days and will be fitted in my car and an update will be posted.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Lost Kiwi and to you all out there. Further to my post above of the 3rd October 2019.
I have resolved the question that I put out to the forum in the section headed ''Suspension, Steering & Brakes' but got no response to.
I had been informed that I had posted in an incorrect section of the forum !!! I am puzzled because the Steering Wheel is surely linked to STEERING is it not ?? There was no indication as to where it had been moved to.

The answer to my question was YES and the Pre Facelift steering wheel is a perfect swap for the Facelift steering wheel with the horn connections being able to be connected and fully functional.

The Pre Facelift wheel has gone out to Royal Steering Wheels in Stoke Mandeville for a slight remodelling exercise.
The Facelift Steering Wheel gave me the impression that I was driving a bus instead of a small roadster/sports car.

I believe that it is simply an optical illusion created by the lack of rake adjustment and a slightly overbearing Airbag.
The Airbag on the Pre Facelift Steering Wheel being of slightly overall smaller proportions does not create that same illusion in my humble opinion.

The wheel will be returned in approximately 10-14 days and will be fitted in my car and an update will be posted.
You’ve 2 threads in this section, this one and this one
Both in the steering, suspension and brakes section. What is the issue?

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You’ve 2 threads in this section, this one and this one
Both in the steering, suspension and brakes section. What is the issue?

Hi Blobcat. As such there is not an issue unless of course early onset dementia can be regarded as an issue on the forum :confused::);)
I was juggling between two MB forums and had forgotten where I had posted my initial query albeit with a different title.
Without doubt this one is the more responsive and the easiest to navigate of the two albeit the other MB forum gives me a more of a perspective/views of from across the 'pond'.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Blobcat. As such there is not an issue unless of course early onset dementia can be regarded as an issue on the forum :confused::);)
I was juggling between two MB forums and had forgotten where I had posted my initial query albeit with a different title.
Without doubt this one is the more responsive and the easiest to navigate of the two albeit the other MB forum gives me a more of a perspective/views of from across the 'pond'.
There’s another forumo_O

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I dunno, I think it's not too big at all. In fact if it was any smaller it would obscure the view of the Dials somewhat.

Also it feels nice and compact - but there again my last car was an S500.... :D Matbe you're sitting too close... :cool:

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I dunno, I think it's not too big at all. In fact if it was any smaller it would obscure the view of the Dials somewhat.

Also it feels nice and compact - but there again my last car was an S500.... :D Matbe you're sitting too close... :cool:

Hi RB. No,I am not sitting too close. Indeed a 5'8" driver could easily drive my car without any fore/aft adjustment to the seat.
I am 4'10" tall and drive with my arms outstretched at the 10 past 2 position and or the 20 to 4 position.
My seat is electrically operated and at the highest setting and the backrest is quite reclined.

The top edge of the steering wheel is just a tad above the binnacle/curve of the dash.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Hi RB. No,I am not sitting too close. Indeed a 5'8" driver could easily drive my car without any fore/aft adjustment to the seat.
I am 4'10" tall and drive with my arms outstretched at the 10 past 2 position and or the 20 to 4 position.
My seat is electrically operated and at the highest setting and the backrest is quite reclined.

The top edge of the steering wheel is just a tad above the binnacle/curve of the dash.

Hi. Did you say 4 Foot 10 Inches?

The reason I ask is that my wife is 4'11" and when she sits in the driving seat with the seat adjusted so she can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel with her arms slightly bend at the elbow her face is only about a foot away from the Steering Wheel...!! So in that instance I would agree the Steering Wheel would feel huge! Which to me also looks dangerous!

Whereas I have to have the Seat as far back as it can go with a reasonable amount of Recline for comfort and my face is at least twice that distance with the Steering Wheel as far forward as it goes. In fact I wish the Seat could go back another inch or two! In fact my only bugbear with the car... :(

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi. Did you say 4 Foot 10 Inches?

The reason I ask is that my wife is 4'11" and when she sits in the driving seat with the seat adjusted so she can reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel with her arms slightly bend at the elbow her face is only about a foot away from the Steering Wheel...!! So in that instance I would agree the Steering Wheel would feel huge! Which to me also looks dangerous!

Whereas I have to have the Seat as far back as it can go with a reasonable amount of Recline for comfort and my face is at least twice that distance with the Steering Wheel as far forward as it goes. In fact I wish the Seat could go back another inch or two! In fact my only bugbear with the car... :(

Hi again RB. Yes I did say 4'10" tall. I have a relatively normal torso and very slightly shorter arms than someone 8/9" taller than I am,I have always been told that my Hereditary medical condition has meant that I am some 8" shorter than I should be.
The main disadvantage is that I am blessed with a 23" inside leg measurement;the shortest trousers that I can buy off the peg are 29" and as a result I have my accelerator pedal blocked out 65mm so as to avoid unnecessary strain on me right foot when reaching and using the pedal.
The front edge of my driver seat is 16.5" from the brake pedal (Automatic) and my throat is 17" from the centre of the steering wheel (MB badge).
I drive the car with the steering wheel reach as far in as it will adjust.

My 2001 BMW 330i Touring Automatic albeit they are blessed with Reach & Rake with the rake at the lowest setting and the reach set at the furthermost in;the overall seating position has the same accelerator treatment,this results in an extremely comfortable driving position as the seats are the 'Sport' type that closely resemble those in the SLK 230.

The SLK driving position 002.JPG The SLK driving position 001.JPG

Attachments

• media 330i Auto (8).jpg
    media 330i Auto (8).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 6

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom