R170 SLK Roof Leak, Where is the Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi my wife's R170 SLK has the common Roof Leak. I know that there is a thread on here that shows how to fix this, but I have looked on done a search, but only a short one that says check the window stops is there. Can anyone show me where the Thread is? I have looked under DIY where there is one on boot leaks, but not roof. I have gone throgh 8 pages of Bodywork, tyres, trim. This is a common problem and if it isn't, could it be put in DIY. Anyway if you couold point me in the general direction, it wold be most appreciated.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi yes I looked at that, but it just seems to be 30 pages of people asking Malcolm for the instructions. There used to be an actual thread showing the fix.
Sorry , didn’t read it myself . I found that by using Google search

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Sorry , didn’t read it myself . I found that by using Google search

Thanks anyway. I did get the sheets off Malcolm years ago, but not on this PC. I would think that because so many people want to know about this that it would be put in DIY.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
SLK’s don’t really leak, it’s the SL’s (R230) that do... if you follow the advice from the SL roof leak repair thread you’ll not go far wrong with your SLK.

I’d open the boot and take the rubber drains apart that are by the C pillars (the ones that are in free space) and make sure they’re clean, empty and work).

I’d then clean and gummifledge all the rubber seals with the roof in the half open position.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
SLK’s don’t really leak, it’s the SL’s (R230) that do... if you follow the advice from the SL roof leak repair thread you’ll not go far wrong with your SLK.

I’d open the boot and take the rubber drains apart that are by the C pillars (the ones that are in free space) and make sure they’re clean, empty and work).

I’d then clean and gummifledge all the rubber seals with the roof in the half open position.

No on this occation you are incorrect. The R171 rearly leaks because of the way the window closes against the seal after the door is closed, but about 90% of the R170 did, as can be seen by the link above where there is 30+ pages of SLK owners asking Malcolm for the sheets. I have actually found a the sheet to adjust the window, so hopefully I can sort this out. Also see all the threads on SLK world about this problem.

Thank you for the other advise I will try that.

Attachments

• 170 door window.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Where is your SLK leaking? It is an R171 (same as mine).

Only time I get a wet boot is when I open the boot lid too fast and the water is too much for the drains. Slower boot opening in the rain stops that for me.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Where is your SLK leaking? It is an R171 (same as mine).

Only time I get a wet boot is when I open the boot lid too fast and the water is too much for the drains. Slower boot opening in the rain stops that for me.

I think that the thread title says R170 and the first line says:- Hi my wife's R170 SLK has the common Roof Leak. So no, it isn't a R171, but I do also have a R171, which does not leak.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
The Early 172 has a leak issue also, just spent best part of £800 to fix. A really poor show from MB not to make any contribution.

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
Yes, the two drains at the back need a regular clean out otherwise water can accumulate and possibly go into the boot. A hosepipe and thick strimmer flex seems to work. The drains at the front are a real pain at this time of year I'm constantly removing leaves and debris from either side before they disappear into the 'depths' and block the drains. A couple of times I've had to remove front road wheels and plastic inner arch liners to clear the pipes. We had to replace the boot seal that runs along beneath the rear screen a few years ago. It wasn't that costly but I seem to remember fitting it was a bit of an art when I watched the indy.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Yes, the two drains at the back need a regular clean out otherwise water can accumulate and possibly go into the boot. A hosepipe and thick strimmer flex seems to work. The drains at the front are a real pain at this time of year I'm constantly removing leaves and debris from either side before they disappear into the 'depths' and block the drains. A couple of times I've had to remove front road wheels and plastic inner arch liners to clear the pipes. We had to replace the boot seal that runs along beneath the rear screen a few years ago. It wasn't that costly but I seem to remember fitting it was a bit of an art when I watched the indy.

IT'S A ROOF LEAK!!! Why are people replying with BOOT LEAK???

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
By you people , do you mean those trying to help you (and occasionally getting the wrong idea , but still trying to help )

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
By you people , do you mean those trying to help you (and occasionally getting the wrong idea , but still trying to help )[/QU
By you people , do you mean those trying to help you (and occasionally getting the wrong idea , but still trying to help )

Doesn't actually say YOU people, but it's not much help if we are discussing totally different parts of the car or even totally different models is it?

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
Sorry. No need to shout. Only trying to help / share experiences in the 19 years we've owned an SLK. The roof / boot as far as I'm concerned is all one inter-connected mechanism and the seal I mention is in contact with the rear roof pillars.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Sorry. No need to shout. Only trying to help / share experiences in the 19 years we've owned an SLK. The roof / boot as far as I'm concerned is all one inter-connected mechanism and the seal I mention is in contact with the rear roof pillars.

The leak is the common one that is at the top of the door. Yes we all want to help, but seems that people on here are in such a rush to answer, that they do not even READ THE TITLE. The title says R170, but I have been asked, is it a R171? Told that SLK's do not leak and then all the answers on the boot, so no help on this occation. Not needed now. Found it on You Tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom