R230 3,7 V6

Budwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 2006 3.7 V6
Hi all im now starting to look for a R230 3.7 V6 there's a guy who live about 50 miles from me who has 3 of these for sale and 2 CLK's ,
he's not about for 6 weeks so im just wondering as im new to the mercedes world what i need to look out for, 1 of them is a silver 03 with 62k
1 is a dark blue 06 with 99k and the last one is teal blue with 72k, i would be so greatful for any info about my future purchase
thank you

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Check for water leaks, open the boot lift up the liner and check the foam around the pump for moisture

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above.
Additionally the 06 will need an SBC pump soon if it's not had one.

The early one will use the 241hp 3.7 litre m112 engine. Super reliable but not the power of the later engine (changeover year was 2006).
The later engine is 3.5 litres and 268hp and more economical but has been known to have balance shaft issues which are expensive to sort. If not sorted the engine can be destroyed.

In 2004 there was a change in the Command system to a much improved one (not retrofittable). There are direct swap Android units (as long as the car doesn't have Bose).

Personally I'd go the earlier one all things considered.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Same as that earlier car, longer before u test Yr walkin boots. Non abc on that model= less hassle as well.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Check Service history

Check everything works, particularly the roof, electric seats, Comand.

Check for rust in unexpected place, eg lower doors and rear wheel arches.

Check for Uneven tyre wear, Smoke on start up, Accident damage.

Do a Hpi check.

OP
B

Budwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 2006 3.7 V6
As above.
Additionally the 06 will need an SBC pump soon if it's not had one.

The early one will use the 241hp 3.7 litre m112 engine. Super reliable but not the power of the later engine (changeover year was 2006).
The later engine is 3.5 litres and 268hp and more economical but has been known to have balance shaft issues which are expensive to sort. If not sorted the engine can be destroyed.

In 2004 there was a change in the Command system to a much improved one (not retrofittable). There are direct swap Android units (as long as the car doesn't have Bose).

Personally I'd go the earlier one all things considered.
the guy has all the paperwork for all three cars from when they were built spec sheets and even though 2 off them are 06 they are the same engine as the 03 by the look of the MOTs they were registered in august and september 06 cars but i will check when i go

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
the guy has all the paperwork for all three cars from when they were built spec sheets and even though 2 off them are 06 they are the same engine as the 03 by the look of the MOTs they were registered in august and september 06 cars but i will check when i go
Hi, my SL has been one of my most rewarding car purchases. I hope you find a good one. Post 2008 there is a facelift like mine, 316 bhp, and a few of the car and engine's niggles are supposedly sorted out. However, the 3.7 of the R230 does have a great reputation for reliability - as mentioned by LK.

The build sheet can easily be downloaded and is not an indication of having "all the paperwork" - if you came to see a car I was selling you would find a folder, organised with a ream of paperwork several inches thick and a summary of all work done in an Excel file backed up by receipts. Make sure your eyes are open and don't get fobbed off with ACCEPTING comments like "All the service history is online, you can get it from Mercedes" - make sure you see a copy of the service history for yourself.

Some of the 3.5 engines pre-2008 had a few known issues and you can check the engine number from the build sheet to see if the car you are looking at is included in the engine numbers where there is an increased risk.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have access to the build sheets check the engine number.
If it starts 113 it's the earlier number, if it starts 272 it's the later one.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

OP
B

Budwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 2006 3.7 V6
Hi, my SL has been one of my most rewarding car purchases. I hope you find a good one. Post 2008 there is a facelift like mine, 316 bhp, and a few of the car and engine's niggles are supposedly sorted out. However, the 3.7 of the R230 does have a great reputation for reliability - as mentioned by LK.

The build sheet can easily be downloaded and is not an indication of having "all the paperwork" - if you came to see a car I was selling you would find a folder, organised with a ream of paperwork several inches thick and a summary of all work done in an Excel file backed up by receipts. Make sure your eyes are open and don't get fobbed off with ACCEPTING comments like "All the service history is online, you can get it from Mercedes" - make sure you see a copy of the service history for yourself.

Some of the 3.5 engines pre-2008 had a few known issues and you can check the engine number from the build sheet to see if the car you are looking at is included in the engine numbers where there is an increased risk.
Hi, Great feed back from all you guy's thank you, im going to look at a R230 3.7 V6 late 2003 with 66,000 full service history and two owners from new on the pictures sent to me she looks immaculate, but i will check all what you guy's have said ive also printed off the MOT reports so i can see the advisories which there are only two wheel bearing noise and misting of front suspension but the dealer is going to have a new MOT on it if i buy
again thank you all i will post my out come this weekend

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Misting front suspension means it may have ABC. If it has there will be an ABC sport button behind the gear selector right side (3 o'clock position) and a height selector button left side (9 o'clock position).

If it's ABC it adds significant complexity but is a superb blend of ride comfort and handling. It was a rare option in the V6.

Last edited:

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
How many times have I listened to the advice "do not buy the first one you see" - only to find later that the first one was the best one :) Good luck, take your time and it is probably good advice to have a look at a few examples. I looked at two, bought the second one.

I agree with LK - check the engine numbers.

OP
B

Budwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 2006 3.7 V6
How many times have I listened to the advice "do not buy the first one you see" - only to find later that the first one was the best one :) Good luck, take your time and it is probably good advice to have a look at a few examples. I looked at two, bought the second one.

I agree with LK - check the engine numbers.
Hi been to see three now first one black looked to good to be true but the dealer had run her up before i got there so left there second one was in silver i thought it was going to be the one then i looked at the rear archers and they were full of rust then started after having had to jump it with a battery pack
all OK until i put it into reverse and drive the gearbox was grinding so walked away.
third one silver again this one looks great full service history only one fail mot in its life the only thing is it got a little bit of rust where the rear bumper meets the arch is this bad news its not right through but just bubbles at the moment

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fairly standard place for them to go just where the arch and bumper meet. Not a big deal for a competent body shop.

Why not go back to the first one and tell the seller you want to see it started from cold?

If it's the m112 engine I'd not be too concerned anyway.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Hi been to see three now first one black looked to good to be true but the dealer had run her up before i got there so left there second one was in silver i thought it was going to be the one then i looked at the rear archers and they were full of rust then started after having had to jump it with a battery pack
all OK until i put it into reverse and drive the gearbox was grinding so walked away.
third one silver again this one looks great full service history only one fail mot in its life the only thing is it got a little bit of rust where the rear bumper meets the arch is this bad news its not right through but just bubbles at the moment
Not trying to influence the impressions the cars have made on you. However having owned a SL for nearly a year I have read a lot of threads and topics about batteries and a lot of people who use a trickle charger to keep them topped up.

I do not use a trickle charger, but I do use the car most days. I think it was within the first week of ownership I did get a "consumer battery warning" on the dash, and this required a reasonably lengthy drive to get this second battery charged up. They have two batteries, one for starting and a second for other stuff.

Why am I telling you this? Simply because: If an SL has sat for a week or more between uses then there is a chance it might have given a battery warning and that might be nothing to be concerned about. However, like you, I absolutely prefer to see a cold start the first time I view a car. As far as I am aware the idea of having two batteries is so that an owner does not get caught out with a flat battery caused by "other stuff", and that the primary start battery should usually be in good condition to start the car. It is not a perfect fail safe, but my car always started even despite the battery warning message on dash. Then once the engine is running both batteries get charged in order of priority.

Remember, all that glitters is not gold ;) I try to keep that in mind every time I view a car.

Gears grinding. That would have me walking away.
Rust on rear arches... Not sure, it would depend on my budget.

One thing I have noticed during the time I have been interested in the R230 is that some of them do not seem to sell very quickly - whether this is all of them, or just the worst of the bunch I cannot tell. Don't be rushed into a decision, take your time.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
I only owned a 230 for a few months (sadly written off by a rear-end bash), but I'd concur with Sausage on the starting from cold when viewing any car. A cold engine can reveal many things, not least rattles and smoke. Plus, things that may be specific to a particular engine. Feel the manifold for heat and remove the oil cap and check same, BEFORE you allow it to be started! Good luck!

OP
B

Budwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 2006 3.7 V6
Not trying to influence the impressions the cars have made on you. However having owned a SL for nearly a year I have read a lot of threads and topics about batteries and a lot of people who use a trickle charger to keep them topped up.

I do not use a trickle charger, but I do use the car most days. I think it was within the first week of ownership I did get a "consumer battery warning" on the dash, and this required a reasonably lengthy drive to get this second battery charged up. They have two batteries, one for starting and a second for other stuff.

Why am I telling you this? Simply because: If an SL has sat for a week or more between uses then there is a chance it might have given a battery warning and that might be nothing to be concerned about. However, like you, I absolutely prefer to see a cold start the first time I view a car. As far as I am aware the idea of having two batteries is so that an owner does not get caught out with a flat battery caused by "other stuff", and that the primary start battery should usually be in good condition to start the car. It is not a perfect fail safe, but my car always started even despite the battery warning message on dash. Then once the engine is running both batteries get charged in order of priority.

Remember, all that glitters is not gold ;) I try to keep that in mind every time I view a car.

Gears grinding. That would have me walking away.
Rust on rear arches... Not sure, it would depend on my budget.

One thing I have noticed during the time I have been interested in the R230 is that some of them do not seem to sell very quickly - whether this is all of them, or just the worst of the bunch I cannot tell. Don't be rushed into a decision, take your time.
Brilliant advise thank you, looked at 5 now got another to look at the weekend so hopefully this will be the one ive made my mind up the R230 SL 350 is the car i want, just getting the right one, Ive been told by a couple of people that they are not selling very well due to the petrol prices, its going to be a weekend and holiday car so im not bothered by that, i will post pictures of the one i buy thanks again

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Hope you can post a few pics when you do get one. I am excited for you.

I knew my Range Rover needed to go, but the only thing I could think of getting was another one - they spoil the owner like very few other cars can with the levels of luxury, capability and equipment. Then the idea of a MB convertible occurred to me, and particularly an SL - it was a revelatory moment and an unfulfilled desire from years ago when I first went looking for a R129 and ended up in a Alfa GTV instead.

I also made my mind up quite early on that I wanted the SL350 and nothing else. Recently seeing a pre-face lift SL55 with it's split rims and slightly more aggressive look I did think it looked very nice and it made me question my choice. However I am completely smitten with the 350 I am glad I do not have to think about the ABC (not that this is a bad thing, just need to budget for replacement of a few parts at some point). Yet, having owned Porsches and Range Rovers previously there was often a sense that something very expensive* could go wrong any moment. I bought a MB because I wanted to leave that feeling behind.

* It did, and the bore scoring on all six cylinders cost £20,000 to resolve. Thank goodness for Porsche extended warranty, and back then when Porsche main dealers were good people and petrol heads/enthusiasts there was no quibble at all. They made it very easy and I got new blocks, pistons, crank case fitted.

When I bought my car last summer I had to wait a week or so for a new seat motor, until it was fitted I had to drive in a rather awkward position, then I had a failure on the thermostat - both items sorted by the selling dealer without any hesitation. I was also getting used to the car, which was very different to the Range Rover. This summer feels very different, I know the car now and for the time being it is behaving well and I am absolutely loving it at the moment. It might be 13 years old, but an SL is timeless, elegant and always special :)

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom