R230 bizarre electrical gremlins

robmpulse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes R230
Hi everyone

I've been scratching my head about this one:

(1) Left-hand xenon headlamp cycles on/off rhythmically like an indicator flashing when I rev more than about 1000rpm When the car is standing idling or moving very slowly the headlamp is fine. Rev it (moving or standing still) and it flashes until it faults out, sometimes giving an error message on the instruments. I have changed (a) entire headlamp, (b) igniter, (c) bulbs. No effect.

I have never heard of this before.

(2) When standing idle for a day or two I get the message (picture of battery) "electrical consumers switched off". Usual shutdown of high power accessories. I have changed the rear battery. When I go for a drive the message stays on and the electrical consumers stay off - in other words it doesn't reset itself. The only way to remove the problem is to charge the rear battery.

Might the two be related? Car is 2003 SL500

I suspect the battery stabilisation / charge split unit, but could be completely wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am baffled.

cheers

Dave

I am having the EXACT same issue you had. I have ruled out the bulb and well as the control module mounted on the bottom of the housing. I also have confirmed that it is an issue on the left side, as I switched headlights from one side to the other and the problem did not move with the headlight.

At a loss on where to go from here. I have an Autel as well as Star and neither are being ANY help. :-(

Any chance you ever sorted this issue???????

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom