R230 Roof stuck half way

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350; R231 SL400 (SOLD), W211 E320 CDi Estate (SOLD), R129 Brabus SL500 (should not have SOLD)
The roof has been faultless in the past until I operated it in my garage not realising that the car was further back than usual.
This meant that the boot lid fouled on the fridge that sits behind it.
As per the pics the roof started to rise then stopped.
It now refuses to move in either direction and just displays the "vario roof in operation" message.
I suspect that it is just confused rather than faulty, but any ideas how to either put it fully down or fully up manually?
The battery is fully charged and the boot separator is fully closed.

1697706696563.png

1697706720898.png

1697706765660.png

OP
G

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350; R231 SL400 (SOLD), W211 E320 CDi Estate (SOLD), R129 Brabus SL500 (should not have SOLD)
Just to add something that may be relevant. I had removed the soft close mechanism as I had identified an air leak stopping the soft close from working. I had araldite'd one leak and had just refitted it, all done with the roof in the stored/open position. The soft close still was not working so I decided to close the roof before searching for any other air leaks to remove any risk of dropping a tool on the glass. May or may not be relevant!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Try pushing the boot lid back with your hand, it maybe that the fridge fowling it has moved the boot lid forward slightly and stopped the operation.
There is a fuse under the little trap door behind the drivers seat, you might be able to remove the fuse to reset the roof function. I am not sure which fuse it is, maybe orange in colour? Someone will be able to give you a better location, or even help you more than me :)

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
I had a similar problem last year. You don't say where you are on the South Coast, but in the end my problem was resolved with the help of Oliver Stoner of Prestigecarservice.co.uk

Good luck.

NJSS

OP
G

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a similar problem last year. You don't say where you are on the South Coast, but in the end my problem was resolved with the help of Oliver Stoner of Prestigecarservice.co.uk

Good luck.

NJSS
I'm a lot closer to indies MBS or Burseldon Motors than Prestige though have used them in the past for my previous R129 SL. Do you happen to know what the fix was?

OP
G

gez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To close this thread, I am pleased to say that I have fixed my roof problem, with the grateful help of MBS and YouTube (Video ID = OZt8nvGhMGw)
- Released the boot lid using the key blade and extended to it's full height
- Released the pump pressure via the allen socket per pic below
1698090928378.png
- This allowed the semi opened roof to settle back into the boot
- Propped the roof up with a piece of wood to allow access to the side clamp allen key sockets behind the round covers (per pic below) to ensure they were in the correct position for the boot lid to be closed:-
1698091193206.png
- Removed the wooden prop, closed the boot lid. There was a bit of fettling at this stage to ensure the flaps and parcel shelf cover settled in the right positions and did not foul on anything.
- Opened the boot in the normal way (hinged from the front), propped the roof up again, secured the side clamps and refitted their covers, tightened down the pump release to allow it to be pressurised again.
- Removed the wooden prop again, ensured the load cover was in place and closed the boot lid.
- Verified the roof then opened and closed via the centre console switch
- Breathed a huge sigh of relief and celebrated with a cup of tea!
I hope this might help others.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
To close this thread, I am pleased to say that I have fixed my roof problem, with the grateful help of MBS and YouTube (Video ID = OZt8nvGhMGw)
- Released the boot lid using the key blade and extended to it's full height
- Released the pump pressure via the allen socket per pic below
View attachment 86804
- This allowed the semi opened roof to settle back into the boot
- Propped the roof up with a piece of wood to allow access to the side clamp allen key sockets behind the round covers (per pic below) to ensure they were in the correct position for the boot lid to be closed:-
View attachment 86805
- Removed the wooden prop, closed the boot lid. There was a bit of fettling at this stage to ensure the flaps and parcel shelf cover settled in the right positions and did not foul on anything.
- Opened the boot in the normal way (hinged from the front), propped the roof up again, secured the side clamps and refitted their covers, tightened down the pump release to allow it to be pressurised again.
- Removed the wooden prop again, ensured the load cover was in place and closed the boot lid.
- Verified the roof then opened and closed via the centre console switch
- Breathed a huge sigh of relief and celebrated with a cup of tea!
I hope this might help others.
Excellent bit of diagnosis and fettling. Bound to help others faced with the same problem.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom