R230 Xenon Left low beam flickers when engine is rev'ed above idle

robmpulse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes R230
Okay, here is a weird one.

Engine off or at idle, left low Xenon bulb functions perfectly fine.

When engine is rev'ed above idle..... the left low beam will flicker until the module realizes what is going on and shuts it down. Bulb will light right back up if I cycle the headlight switch and repeat the same process.

Another interesting thing that I noticed, is that the door switch back lights turn off once engine rev's above idle. The switches for both the seat adjustments as well as the heated seat controls do this. Once the engine rev's drop to idle, they come back on.

I have both an Autel as well as Star, neither are being of any help.

I have ruled out the bulb and module. I also switched housings from side to side and the symptom did not move and the right headlight housing will do the same thing when plugged in on the left side.

My voltage regulator is also new and I have no signs or faults for over or under voltage.

I did have both over and under voltage faults before changing the voltage regulator, but they have not returned.

The only fault that I am seeing is B1630.

This is driving me nuts, as I am having to DD my R129 on any day that I know I will not be home before dark.

HELP!!?!?!?!?!?! lol

OP
R

robmpulse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes R230
I have also just verified that the left door back lights on the switches do the same as the right side door switches.

I was leaning towards the right front SAM, but that SAM does not control both doors, does it?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I'd be inclined to check the voltage first, just to check.

It does seem that it's the front Sam (Passenger side), SAM faults are very common.

Not sure about the link to the door control module, but they may be driven by the same SAM, be surprised though

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom