R320 drive train vibration - Assumed same for ML/GL

andrewow47

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 500 2003
I've owned this car for about 5 months, it's a 2007 with 110,000 miles and a full service history. It drives well, the engine and gearbox are working perfectly.

However, I have recently noticed that when driving above about 60mph, and then gently accelerating there is a drive train vibration, and if I back off the throttle this ceases.

The same sort of thing when using cruise control, when going up a slight hill on the motorway, when the cruise control adds some power to maintain speed the vibration comes in, but when going down a slight hill the cruise control reduces power and the vibration disappears.

Below about 60 mph there is no obvious sign of anything.

By coincidence in the last couple of days I've had a completely new set of tyres fitted and this hasn't made any difference at all.

I've just had the car serviced by a very experienced mobile mechanic, he inspected the CV joints on the propshafts and said that they appear to be in good shape.

He said that there is a central 'bearing/rubber coupler (my words not his)' on the rear propshaft, and where he could see the rubber it isn't perished, but with lack of anything else obvious, he thought this might be suspect.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Most likely, in this order:

Engine mounts / Gearbox mount
Propshaft guibo's at each end
Propshaft center support bearing/mount
Diff mounts
Subframe mounts

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom