R320 No Power unless on Boost

Sproutout

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320 2008 3.0V6
Hi all, all advice welcomed - my R320 has a loss of power unless its on boost which is making it undrivable in town unless manually changing gear.
It's just had a new turbo fitted by my garage after the old one destroyed the vanes, on fitting it threw a Y77/1 boost pressure regulator code, they investigated the actuator even though it came with the new turbo and it turned out to be fine and eventually narrowed it down to the swirl flap motor which they deleted, along with the EGR for good measure and put a new map on to compensate.
It now pulls like a train on boost but it's like it's got zero torque and will slow down to the point of nearly stalling if going uphill below about 2000rpm even moving the accelerator up or down (before kickdown) has very slight effect making driving around town a series of foot to the floor dashes.
They've relooked at the map and are happy, checked for boost leaks, rechecked the actuator, checked the fuel rails, the boost sensor and exhaust back pressure sensor have also been checked.
Any ideas what's next?

OP
S

Sproutout

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320 2008 3.0V6
Something else now today, foot down to make it kickdown and it's like the engine is being switched off, then the power slams back on and immediately shuts down again, if I back off its all back to normal. This car is a trial. Sigh...

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I would say there is an issue with that turbo actuator!

You only get that fault code if the turbo wastegate jams, or isn't mapped properly to the variable vane opening speed. Where did the turbo get supplied from? Unless its a MB supply or from a reputable garret dealer like Universal Turbos then I would suggest its removed, sent back and one from those places supplied.

OP
S

Sproutout

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320 2008 3.0V6
Thanks, Turbo was from Turbo Developments, seemed good guys and we're recommended but yes replacement turbo does seem to be the way forward albeit the option that'll cost me another fortune in labour. Car has previously had a replacement actuator, (couple of years ago) but didn't realise they had to be mapped to the individual turbo as that worked straight out of the box.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Not if the turbo has been replaced. The new turbo should come with a new actuator.
Thanks, Turbo was from Turbo Developments, seemed good guys and we're recommended but yes replacement turbo does seem to be the way forward albeit the option that'll cost me another fortune in labour. Car has previously had a replacement actuator, (couple of years ago) but didn't realise they had to be mapped to the individual turbo as that worked straight out of the box.

Not if the turbo has been replaced, the turbo should come with a new actuator. Either way the fault lies at the actuator.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom