Rant

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I have to admit I tend to squeeze-up to the vehicle in front when I'm in a traffic jam in London, to try to help to create space for those behind....thanks to the advice here, I'm going to keep to tyres & tarmac
s5tuart, are your lights too bright/ adjusted ok...? maybe that's why they're pulling away...
It mainly happens during the day...and I do leave a sensible gap. I have noticed since my post and some of the flack I received that I do indeed use Blobcats rule of tyres and tarmac so :p

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
I have booked a drivers awareness course and downloaded Zoom to do the course at home on my tablet, when I’ve booked the meeting date and time it only allows 40minutes where the course could take 3 hrs. How do I get round this, cheers in advance

markben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2004 S320L CDI
I have booked a drivers awareness course and downloaded Zoom to do the course at home on my tablet, when I’ve booked the meeting date and time it only allows 40minutes where the course could take 3 hrs. How do I get round this, cheers in advance

Apologies for this long reply: but if it helps with your 'How do I get around this..'? enquiry:

For better or worse (!), I'm an Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) trained Driver & former Police Referred Speed Awareness Course ('SAC') Trainer in SW England - Bristol area. Also: a Corporate / International Training Consultant with 25 years' experience in many other organisational & business contexts.

During the Covid Pandemic, many 'SAC' providers (e.g. TTC Group & RAC) switched to online sessions for obvious reasons. But, in my experience, the 3-hour 'physical' / interactive Classroom sessions were usually more helpful to most participants, since they allowed 'Naughty Speeders' (Ha-ha!) to meet each other in-person and compare notes on driving styles, personal circumstances, reasons for Speeding (usually un-intentional / 'didn't see the Cameras' etc). But Zoom tech etc. filled-the-gap so as to keep the Project going Revenue-wise + reduce the load on avoidable Court appearances - except in those cases where excessive speed was outside of the remit of qualifying for a SAC course.

Invariably, our hopefully Relaxed (but not Patronising or Guilt-tripping) 'Classroom' style of Driver Education & Safety Awareness was appreciated either as Refresher and / or a gentle 'Nudge' about 'What else could go wrong...?' as a result of speeding - and the potential 'Worst Case' consequences:eek:. We spared our 'Clients' from telling them in graphic detail about some of the 'Worst Cases' - which could be harrowing and affected many more people than just the Speeding Driver.

I & my colleagues (often ex-Traffic Police - including high-speed Armed Pursuit Drivers!) blended some of the more Serious stuff with some light-hearted group activities to get people thinking & talking about the Psychology of (sic) 'Naughty' Speeders / their reasons - together with some practical Tips & Hints to slow-them-down a little and be more 'Situationally Aware' etc on our busy roads. Often, at the end of our sessions, we were complimented with Handshakes & Thanks for 'Educating' rather than 'Punishing' our Clients. :)

Getting back to your question (40 mins online vs. 3 hours in the Classroom + travelling time?):

1. For some: the Online 40 mins course is a quick & easy way get a Driver Education Refresher (and / or 'get-off' the Penalty Points?) at home, and save time compared with travelling to a Classroom Session - which could be some miles away & inconvenient for various reasons (e.g. time-off work / don't want to tell your employer / family etc). But, from what an inadvertent 'Naughty Speeder' Relative has told me, the remote online courses can feel (q.) 'a bit impersonal' - and especially if run by a, er, 'Facilitator' who is just hell-bent on just 'Doing an Instructional Course' in 40 mins - regardless. Some 'Facilitators' are better than others...

2. For others: the physical 3-hour 'Classroom' sessions can be a more valuable Learning & Educational Experience due to the real-time interaction between participants and with (hopefully..) experienced Classroom Facilitators who have the skills & sensitivity to 'Win Hearts & Minds' around all things Speed Awareness & Driver Safety Education.

You might guess which I would recommend from 1 & 2 above? ;). Ultimately, it's 'Horses for Courses' depending on any or all of your personal circumstances, time availability & attitude re. the perceived 'Value' of a Speed Awareness Course: and / or what you want from one? But I recommend that you try to book & attend a 3-hour physical / Classroom SAC session if practicable, since IMHO it's likely to be more beneficial than a hasty 40 mins one Online.

Best wishes & 'Cheers' to you too.

Mark B.

Last edited:

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
Apologies for this long reply: but if it helps with your 'How do I get around this..'? enquiry:

For better or worse (!), I'm an Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) trained Driver & former Police Referred Speed Awareness Course ('SAC') Trainer in SW England - Bristol area. Also: a Corporate / International Training Consultant with 25 years' experience in many other organisational & business contexts.

During the Covid Pandemic, many 'SAC' providers (e.g. TTC Group & RAC) switched to online sessions for obvious reasons. But, in my experience, the 3-hour 'physical' / interactive Classroom sessions were usually more helpful to most participants, since they allowed 'Naughty Speeders' (Ha-ha!) to meet each other in-person and compare notes on driving styles, personal circumstances, reasons for Speeding (usually un-intentional / 'didn't see the Cameras' etc). But Zoom tech etc. filled-the-gap so as to keep the Project going Revenue-wise + reduce the load on avoidable Court appearances - except in those cases where excessive speed was outside of the remit of qualifying for a SAC course.

Invariably, our hopefully Relaxed (but not Patronising or Guilt-tripping) 'Classroom' style of Driver Education & Safety Awareness was appreciated either as Refresher and / or a gentle 'Nudge' about 'What else could go wrong...?' as a result of speeding - and the potential 'Worst Case' consequences:eek:. We spared our 'Clients' from telling them in graphic detail about some of the 'Worst Cases' - which could be harrowing and affected many more people than just the Speeding Driver.

I & my colleagues (often ex-Traffic Police - including high-speed Armed Pursuit Drivers!) blended some of the more Serious stuff with some light-hearted group activities to get people thinking & talking about the Psychology of (sic) 'Naughty' Speeders / their reasons - together with some practical Tips & Hints to slow-them-down a little and be more 'Situationally Aware' etc on our busy roads. Often, at the end of our sessions, we were complimented with Handshakes & Thanks for 'Educating' rather than 'Punishing' our Clients. :)

Getting back to your question (40 mins online vs. 3 hours in the Classroom + travelling time?):

1. For some: the Online 40 mins course is a quick & easy way get a Driver Education Refresher (and / or 'get-off' the Penalty Points?) at home, and save time compared with travelling to a Classroom Session - which could be some miles away & inconvenient for various reasons (e.g. time-off work / don't want to tell your employer / family etc). But, from what an inadvertent 'Naughty Speeder' Relative has told me, the remote online courses can feel (q.) 'a bit impersonal' - and especially if run by a, er, 'Facilitator' who is just hell-bent on just 'Doing an Instructional Course' in 40 mins - regardless. Some 'Facilitators' are better than others...

2. For others: the physical 3-hour 'Classroom' sessions can be a more valuable Learning & Educational Experience due to the real-time interaction between participants and with (hopefully..) experienced Classroom Facilitators who have the skills & sensitivity to 'Win Hearts & Minds' around all things Speed Awareness & Driver Safety Education.

You might guess which I would recommend from 1 & 2 above? ;). Ultimately, it's 'Horses for Courses' depending on any or all of your personal circumstances, time availability & attitude re. the perceived 'Value' of a Speed Awareness Course: and / or what you want from one? But I recommend that you try to book & attend a 3-hour physical / Classroom SAC session if practicable, since IMHO it's likely to be more beneficial than a hasty 40 mins one Online.

Best wishes & 'Cheers' to you too.

Mark B.
My question was how do I do a 3 hour course when I can only have 40mins free time with Zoom

markben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2004 S320L CDI
The 40 minutes is if you are hosting a meeting, as it’s a coarse you’re joining it won’t cut you off after 40 minutes
Ohhh... I see. The course provider might be able to help you with that.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom