Re-Registering a UK (or EU) car in Portugal

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
I have written this because often first hand information is hard to find on this kind of thing and so, in the hope that it may be of use to someone in the Forum, here are a few pointers on bringing your UK (or EU) registered car to Portugal and re-registering it onto local plates.
It also covers a few other pointers on what you need to carry in your vehicle whilst this process is under way.

This post is based on my recent experience re-registering (UK to Portuguese plates) a left hand drive UK plated 1999 CLK230K (W208 - Automatic) cabriolet here in the Algarve, Portugal.

Re-registering an EU sourced car in Portugal is not quite as simple/cheap as it might be in other EU countries. The paperwork is also a pain, so unless you speak and write Portuguese you will be better off using a local Portuguese agent to process your vehicle matriculation. As you can imagine there are plenty English speaking agents around that do just that and, in most instances, for a reasonable fee.

Firstly let’s try and drop the term 'import' because my understanding is that the word no longer applies to vehicles that are already EU registered. You used to have to ‘import’ an EU registered vehicle into Portugal and pay the required ‘import duty’ but now that is no longer possible the authorities here had to come up with another revenue generating scheme, hence the introduction of the 'CO2 tax’ imposed when bringing the car in to be registered on Portuguese plates.

If you wish to bring a car into Portugal and re-register (matriculate) then it is of prime importance that the vehicle has, included in it's documentation, an ‘EU certificate of conformity’. The reason for this is to do with vehicle emissions (CO2 output) and how the Portuguese authorities ‘process’ the matriculation of your vehicle.

Without that cert you will need to jump though a whole heap of hoops to end up with a Portuguese plate on your car.

As an aside, it is my understanding that these certificates were required to be issued in the EU with new vehicles before 2000 but, until that point, it was not a requirement for the CO2 value to be added. In general you will only find the CO2 emission value stated in the cert on post 2000 vehicles.
My car is a 1999 CLK230K. It had a box for the CO2 value to be added but it had no value added. MB had not completed that section in the certificate of conformity at the time of manufacture.

First off the vehicle will need the standard Portuguese equivalent of an MOT. The test centre needs to be approved to carry out pre-matriculation roads tests on ‘foreign’ vehicles. The one for the Algarve is in Loule near Faro.

A booking will need to be made for the test. Prior to that, your agent will need to complete a bunch of paperwork so see them before you do anything.

For the vehicle test:
Take along your agent, a passport, registration docs and the EU certificate of conformity which (must[/u]) state the CO2 Value (output in grams per kilometre) of the engine.
Make sure there is a reflective triangle in the boot.
Make sure there is an EU approved reflective safety vest in the boot.

Without a stated CO2 value the car will need to be tested in addition to the MOT for CO2 output (on a rolling road) at an approved test centre here in Portugal. This will incur extra costs/time. Unfortunately, for some vehicles, they have a rolling road/emission system that can test manual cars but not automatics. At the time of their (rolling roads) installation it seems that the Portuguese government felt that Automatics would not factor in future tests so they opted for the (no doubt cheaper) manual only options.

If the car you wish to matriculate is automatic plus does not have the CO2 value stated in it's certificate of conformity you will be looking at a hefty ‘CO2 registration tax' for want of a better expression. Because the rolling roads they have will not produce the correct results you could be faced with up to double the CO2 tax to pay.

Typically, on a car with a CO2 emission output of 240gms/KM, the (one off) CO2 ‘tax’ will be in the region of Euro €3500.00 so, before you bring that bargain car of yours into the country, please bear that in mind. If the car is Automatic and does not have the CO2 value stated in it’s EU certificate of conformity then you could be looking at a bill of around Euro €7000.00 for the same vehicle! I came up against that problem but managed to get around it in the end. I still had to pay around €3500 though.

Once they have the CO2 figure the Portuguese customs don’t simply apply the tax at a value per gm/km instead they take the value (off the certificate of conformity or based on the rolling road test) and apply it to a cooked up mathematical formulae that had my local MB dealership and MB in Lisbon baffled as to where the formulae came from. From what I can deduce they have created a formulae to substitute the loss of ‘import duty’ in favour of a newer greaner sounding 'CO2 emissions tax'.

It will also pay you to make sure that the registration documents match exactly the information marked on your vehicle. This includes the engine number and the VIN chassis number in full.

In my case the UK DVLA missed the last digit off the VIN when the car was re-registered in the UK after the first owner brought it into the country from Germany in 2001. This caused a few admin problems and resulted in me having to take the car back to the local test centre once again just to get the VIN checked to confirm that it matched the EU certificated of conformity.

I also needed to get the local MB dealer to issue a letter confirming that the Engine number was as stated in the cert as well.

On top of the above you will of course have to pay for the Vehicle Road worthiness test (MOT) and other associated admin costs. None of which cost anything near the cost of the so called CO2 emissions tax.

Road tax is now on a sliding scale here as in other EU countries. The smaller the engine/lower CO2 output the less you pay.

MOT
No matter how long the process takes you have a couple of options on the insurance/MOT front. Get the Portuguese MOT completed before your UK MOT expires. That will keep your car legal from that standpoint whilst the matriculation process is under way.

Insurance
On the insurance front it is possible to get temporary insurance (TP only) whilst the process is ongoing. It's more expensive that normal insurance which you can obtain once you have your Portuguese registration number.

Road Fund Licence
Bearing mind you are still driving a UK registered car there is a chance your UK road tax will run out during the re-registration process (which can take time). That is not a worry. As long as you have docs in your vehicle showing that your car is under the matriculation process (your agent will give you certified copies to carry) you will not be able to obtain road tax. This is accepted as normal practice here. Do yourself a favour though. Remove an expired road tax disk from the window entirely. If the car is parked up unattended and the local police check the car they will note that it has UK plates but no UK road tax however they will also see the recently issued Portuguese MOT cert in the window and will most likely leave it at that as they will guess what it going on.

It is a legal requirement that you carry all docs in your car when you are driving in Portugal. You can be fined if you cannot produce the docs at the roadside. This includes photo ID and a driving licence.
You used to have to carry your passport but if you have an EU licence with Photo ID included the that seems to be OK. The Portuguese EU licence is one part only. The pink plastic credit card which looks very much like the UK licence. There is no second part as in the UK so if ask you only need to produce/carry the pink card as that is all they expect around here.

Finally. Car prices in Portugal seem to be way above the EU norm for some reason and I guess that is why people bring cars in and go though all this. If all you need is a cheap run around or a family type saloon car then you will save yourself a lot of grief if you simply sell your existing car in the UK and buy a car here that is already on Portuguese plates. If however, you have a prized MB that you have nurtured for years or can't bear to part with it then the matriculation route may be the way to go.

On the maintenance front costs are generally cheaper and rust (here in the south) is a non starter.. rest easy in the knowledge that once your prize wheels are settled into the Algarve rust will not feature in it's future.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I have written this ..................... rest easy in the knowledge that once your prize wheels are settled into the Algarve rust will not feature in it's future.

Thanks for the explanation - most informative.

In conclusion, it seems to make more sense to simply off-load the vehicle and buy an already-registered car in Portugal. :?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What a post and all that info, thanks and some should apply to other countries

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Thanks guys.

In addition I should like to add that if anyone is bringing their car to Portugal and intends to re-register it here and you have any questions please send me a PM and I will do my best to respond.

Please don't ask me about other EU countries because I only have local knowledge on Portugal regarding this matter.

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Update

Now firmly in 2008 and still not completed the re-registration!
UK - Portuguese plates.

It turned out that there was a character missing from the end of the VIN on the V5 issued by DVLA years ago. The local authorities here requested to see the car themselves so they could conform that the VIN on the vehicle matched the local Portuguese MOT certificate, the European Cert of Conformity I had, and the MB (Faro) letter which confirmed the correct VIN and the engine number.

Drove the car to Faro from here (40 minutes) a few weeks back and sure enough they checked the VIN stamped in the car. Looked at me and went... Yep! The UK registration document is missing a number at the end :eek:
Well blow me.. really?
That is why they requested to see the car in the first place.
My agent assumed that once they saw that the car was genuine and the mistake was a DVLA one it would all be sorted.

OK guys... You can see the car, and it matches all the Portuguese certs and the EU certificate of conformity can you now issue the new PT registration?
Nope!.. you need to ask the DVLA (they knew what DVLA was!) to correct the VIN on the UK registration document before we will issue a Portuguese registration document.

So about three weeks back I downloaded a form from DVLA's website and applied to DVLA for an Export certificate.

After sending them 9 pages of supporting paperwork with the application, along with a two page explanation of what the problem was, I received a letter from them saying that the VIN on their records was different than the one I had requested an export certificate for!

They already had:
The last expired UK MOT showing the full VIN
The last Portuguese in date MOT certificate showing the full VIN
The EU certificate of Conformity showing the full VIN
A letter from MB Faro confirming the full VIN and engine number.

In their letter DVLA asked for proof of the full VIN !!

After numerous phone calls with me saying there is no more proof on earth short of me driving the car to the UK, DVLA they admitted that they may have made an error.
Last Wednesday they said they would issue an export certificate with the correct information on it.
Today I received an Export Certificate with the full VIN on it.

Tomorrow we will see how good that is for the local powers, that be, around here.

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
A great informative post James, but did you know...

Did you know, or are you aware that Spanish law requires 2 triangles to be spaced 100km distance from the vehicle & apart!

So if your driving through part of Spain to get to Portugal & an incident occurs where you plainly only have 1 - your gonna get a fine!

Very few people know this, and as far as I know this 2 triangle law only exists in Spain.
I've been living in Antibes, Cote d' Azur for past 6 month's & have come accross some pretty awfull things that people get fined for in France & Italy.

Can you find out or confirm for me if this 2 triangle law is also in Portugal?

Also, do you have the "Yellow Diamond" on a rectangular white background road sign out there & are you aware of the dangers that this sign represents?

Its amazing to me that most English & French, Italian, Spanish & Swiss drivers don't have a clue what this sign means!

A "Yellow Diamond" means that you have priority on the road your travelling on, whilst the same sign with a thick black line through it means that YOU DON'T !

So if Frederico on his tractor decides to pull his hay bales wagon onto the main road or highway your on, straight off the field or some insignificant side road, and your in a collision with the silly old short sighted peasant - ITS YOUR FAULT !!

This sign was designed to keep speeders at the lowest possible speed, and would work more effectively if only people knew what its meaning was.

Hope it helps,

Keith.

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
.........to be spaced 100km distance from the vehicle & apart!

Can you find out or confirm for me if this 2 triangle law is also in Portugal?

Hi Keith.. thanks for the info. I guess you meant 100m apart... ;)

As far as I am aware the law only requires one triangle here. I only ever see one deployed (at various distances behind the broken down vehicle).
Also the local Portuguese MOT only requires to see a single triangle in the car so I guess if two were required they would want to see two.
At the MOT they do also want to see a reflective vest that has an EU kite mark on it.

If you are travelling through Portugal in a UK vehicle I would suggest you have a triangle and a reflective vest as a minimum and maybe an extra triangle for Spain it seems.

Dil H

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi james,

Can you tell me do you have to be a Portuguese resident to re-register the vehicle or do you just need to be a property owner?

Regards

Dil

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
You do not need to be a property owner to re-register a car here.

As as far as I am aware you would probably need to have PT Residencia (residency) to carry out this process. I'm not 100% sure on this as I already have residencia and therefore did not come up against an issue there.

You do not need to be a property owner to obtain residencia.

I am sure I have written this before but do not try this process with a car that is automatic and pre 2002 (without a CO2 value on the EU Certificate of conformity). Just take my word for it.

I have heard tell that the Portuguese authorities are jacking up the CO2 'tax' by around 11% in Jan 2009 which will make the whole process prohibitively expensive. In effect to complete the process you need to make a massive (and I mean BIG) one off payment in the guise of CO2 tax. Anything with (say) a three litre engine and you could be looking at well over 10,000 Euros just for the CO2 tax!!

Your best bet these days is to sell your non PT registered car before you come here and buy another car down here already on PT plates. That having been said.. car prices are high here. The high prices have nothing to do with the above CO2 tax scam, for want of a better expression.
Older cars last forever and hold their value as rust does not feature. No snow & ice = no salt ever used on the roads.

I still feel that all this CO2 tax thing is illegal under EU law but, locally, there is nothing an individual can do about it accept not pay and take your car back out of the country and write to their Euro MP.

Be warned - Just to re-register a non PT car (from another EU state) now runs into the thousands of Euros! It's gone up a huge amount since I had my car assessed and paid what was required at the time.

The feeling is that this daylight robbery may have been picked up on by the EU authorities and they may be applying pressure for the practice to be scrapped but that has yet to take effect and will no doubt not happen quickly. As import tax is no longer a valid EU term (within the EU) in the short term the PT authorities are milking it for what it is worth under the guise of saving the planet and charging this CO2 tax!

As for my car. The process is almost complete. It's been on PT plates for some time now and the car is registered on the new central computer registration system in Lisbon. Not too long ago registration docs were issued by local DGV offices. This is no longer the case.

It is the IMTT (used to be called DGV) that issues all log books these days. They are months behind so expect delays from that area also.

Strangely, we bough a new company car this year. We had the new registration document issued in about three weeks!

Ironically I think that should anyone try this in reverse and take a PT registered car to the UK it could probably be all sorted in a couple of weeks for very little overall/comparative costs. I doubt if there is a mechanism in the UK to charges thousands of pounds as a one off CO2 tax payment for bringing another EU registered car into the UK system.

best regards
James Mc

Last edited:
C

coolio.me

Importing vehicle into Portugal

Hi,

I was hoping you could offer some advice, we are moving to Portugal towards the end of August and was hoping to take 2 Vespa scooters and our Suzuki jeep or our MB A class. I do have a couple of questions, firstly where do I obtain the COC, do I have to have owned vehicles over 12 months?
The reason for my second question is that we have owned the Vespas for about 10 month, however I still think it would be cheaper to take them and pay any import tax, and we have only owned the Suzuki for 6 month, however we have owned the MB over a year, any advice most welcome:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Portugal is in the EU is it not, if it is then surely no duty is payable now, just the specs to deal with for that country

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Hi,

I was hoping you could offer some advice, we are moving to Portugal towards the end of August and was hoping to take 2 Vespa scooters and our Suzuki jeep or our MB A class. I do have a couple of questions, firstly where do I obtain the COC, do I have to have owned vehicles over 12 months?
The reason for my second question is that we have owned the Vespas for about 10 month, however I still think it would be cheaper to take them and pay any import tax, and we have only owned the Suzuki for 6 month, however we have owned the MB over a year, any advice most welcome:)

Honest John has your answers..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/how-does-one-import-a-car-to-portugal/

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom